How long has it been since you've been to the range?

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:
:star::star::star::star::star:
:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

6 Likes

@Steven147 I’ll be taking the Defense Shooting Fundamentals level 1 on the 20th of this month, here in Michigan.

5 Likes

Are you asking me about shooting in the dark? It’s been a while since I last did that. I used white light on all my guns. IR and thermal are kinda expensive, so I haven’t stepped into that game yet. Only tips I have are bring area illuminators, like lanterns, for points of reference. Also remember to do an area sweep of your targets backdrop every now and then with a powerful handheld. Flood light or spot light, doesn’t matter, just as long as it has a lot of lumens and you check occasionally. Safety first.

5 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

6 Likes

I go every other week. The outdoor ranges seem to be less busy out here. Plus the range I go to, regularly has all the ammo I need at an affordable price.

6 Likes

About 2 hours. Range is 75 yds from my back door. Yes, I know, I am blessed.

11 Likes

I was there today with my brother Barry and we put 150 rounds through 2 pistols, the M&Ps Compact and Subcompact, a lot of fun was had.

8 Likes

I went to the range today as well! I only shot about 20 rounds but I finally zeroed my .300 blackout!

9 Likes

Yesterday. It was Sig day for me. Shot the P226 .357, and the P365XL 9mm.

7 Likes

Went for some range time and defensive training this weekend. Brought my son Andreas along. He’s using a G44.

There was one couple who asked why I would bring him to a defensive shooting class at such a young age since he obviously does not have his CWL. I told them I needed all the trained protectors I can get in case SHTF.

https://youtu.be/UOy4_0pptGs

9 Likes

I have been looking at building a 300 BO “pistol” from PSA, any advice?

7 Likes

I’m not Adam, but there are a couple of threads with some info.

300Blackout in an AR Pistol is a great idea, PSA has some good stuff, but the #1 issue you’ll find right now is getting ammo is near impossible and what is available is crazy expensive.

8 Likes

I got to go to the range last Saturday. Burned up about $100 in ammo (which isn’t much these days). Still had a lot of fun and learned a lot about suppressors.

9 Likes

Got out to my nephews land last weekend . Rattled off 125 rounds in new S&W 380 bodyguard. Nice little pistol. Even broke out the shotguns and did brought down some skeet.:+1:

7 Likes

I go every week. I will be going tomorrow. I schedule my time at the range in less busy hours to lessen exposure to possibilities of COVID, plus masks are mandatory.

10 Likes

What kind of advice are you looking for @Alex22. Basic advice is have a purpose for the build. Range plinker? Home defense? Battle rifle? PSA, from what I have read an heard makes a decent budget build rifle. You can buy a kit or piece it together. If you are piecing a build together, focus on the quality of the BCG and barrel since those are the heart of the rifle. A quality BCG should be magnetic particle inspected and high pressure tested. Barrels typical made from 4150 steel are a good start and resist heat somewhat better. Chrome lining is great to help resist against moisture. 416 steel are good for match grade barrels.

.300 black is a fantastic round for SBR/pistol builds. If you are looking for a 14.5 or 16” carbine, just stick with .223/5.56.

Remember, the shorter the barrel, the less muzzle velocity = decreased effectiveness. This is why .300 black is great since is essentially was designed for shorter barrels, if a pistol or SBR build is what you are looking for. There is an argument for this though considering modern 5.56 bullets have improved in recent years and may be considered effective with shorter barrels. Traditionally, max effectiveness of the 5.56 was achieved at a muzzle velocity of 2500fps (if my mind serves me correctly). The shorter barrel decreases velocity and decreases energy. .300 black hits harder with the shorter barrel increasing stopping effectiveness. Fenix ammunition posted a study showing the comparison between 5.56 62gr and .300 black 110gr both shot from a 9” barrel. Even though the 5.56 hit a target velocity of 2,591 it had over 170 ft lbs of energy less than .300 black. Here is a link to that article.

If you are dead set on a .300 black just realize that ammo is 2x the price that 5.56 typically is and is harder to find, especially with the ammo shortage. Where I live, I am still getting 20rds of 5.56 for about $8.50/box and am paying $27.99/box of 20 round .300 black. I get 40 more rounds of 5.56 for roughly the same price of .300 black. This means less training. For instance, my .300 black build is purposed for cqb and doubles as a backpack/car gun. My carbine is more of a battle rifle set up and has a 14.5” barrel with a pinned and welded muzzle break amd is chambered for .223/5.56. I utilize the carbine for a majority of my training since function is the same and felt recoil is very similar. I do more dry fire on my .300 black at home to compensate for the lack of live fire training. If you don’t have an AR in .223/5.56, build one of those first. Or you can always build a .300 black and then have a separate upper is 5.56 and utilize that for training.

Most importantly though, build it for a purpose. Bare minimum, have a set of iron sights and a weapon light. Because well, bad crap happens at night. Then add a sling and an optic. It looks like @Harvey added my .300 black build. I attached some updated photos so you have a better idea of the build at completion. Any other questions about building a .300, let me know.

9 Likes

@Carol12 Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :+1:

7 Likes

“My” range was closed for a time (I live in VA), but reopened for a couple of months with certain restrictions before they closed again the beginning of August. This time however the closure is because a new range is being installed :grin:. It is set to reopen mid-October. Normally I go one day a week, but the week they closed, I was taking a long weekend and got 3 days in! So my last trip to the range was the 1st weekend in August. I cannot wait for it to reopen.

7 Likes

I went to the range twice this past weekend:
-was to test out the new AR 15 I bought my wife to make sure it functioned well and tested about 4 different bands of ammo (every type they currently had at the range store).
-the following day, I did a range qual for the NRA pistol instructor cert but we did some extra shooting as well.

Today there is a qual for work but I got stuck at work and will not be able to attend which is lame. I love work quals. passing is 80+ but if you get 90+ you can stay after and do some pretty intensive drills and combat style shooting. I attend every available qual for work when they line up with my off days. Most only due bare minimum of twice a year and only stay for qual and not combat drills. Well, let’s say that I have attended 4 in the last quarter! 1- I get paid to be there(only $10 an hour for training). 2- it is free 300+ rounds of shooting on a gun that isn’t mine so wear and tear does not matter much.

7 Likes

That sounds like so much fun! I’m glad you’re getting the most out of what they’re offering!

6 Likes