Poor mans PDW?

Just finished putting the last touches on my Siant .300 Blackout, or my wannabe PDW :grin::grin:. What do you guys think? By all means I can handle some constructive criticism, so don’t hold back.

17 Likes

Honestly, doesn’t matter a gig what we think. I look at it and see a lot of attention paid to a gun. If it makes you happy who are we to rain on your day. Hell I’m sort of jealous as I am still waiting to get a pdw in .300 Blackout

9 Likes

I think I may have just sinned.
What’s that commandment… thou shalt not covet thy neighbor PDW???
Are the confessionals open during lockdown…

5 Likes

Very nice! :+1:

4 Likes

I’m digging it!!!

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

I’d be curious about the accessories parts list. Before that horrible boating accident I had a 300BO pistol and I was always struggling with what to put on it to keep it as light as possible, but still have enough “tools” to be useful.

• Looks like an Olight M2R Warrior Pro. I have one in my EDC rotation (I’m a huge Olight fan), but I know they also offer mounts and switches for it. How do you like it in this role?
  • What is the muzzle device on the end? Flash can?
  • What are the backup irons?
  • What type of sling in that, and how do you like single-point slings?
3 Likes

I am also a big Olight fan, I have them on my pistols as well. As for the M2R on this setup, its actually too big. I will probably replace it with something smaller. The muzzle device is an
AR 300 Blackout Muzzle Comp With Qd Blast Shield. The backup sights are low profile leapers and I cant remember what type of sling that is. I usually run a 2 point sling setup but I wanted to try the one point to see how I like it, so far so good.

1 Like

Very Nice brother looks awesome.

3 Likes

I have a PL2 from their last sale enroute, to try out on this platform. If it works well I will let you know

2 Likes

Lemme know @Harvey because I really need something smaller. :+1::+1:

1 Like

@Harvey For smaller platform rifles/pistols you can shoulder I really dig a single point sling for a host of reasons, some not applicable to civilian operations. When wearing a chest plate and carrier the single point was the bee’s knees as it offered the most flexibility to and include transitioning from right to left IF the contact point was center line if it was one side or the other it didn’t work so well. Ensure your snap hook has a swivel to mitigate binding. If you are a fan of English (as in British) style presentation where you push out against the sling a bungee type segmented sling is the hot ticket. If you are more a fan of the “lever” presentation then a sling matters little as the PDW is in your shoulder and you just “lever” it up from a fixed point. I’ve run both in real world and I like the flexibility of the bungee system as it allows for variations in clothing/gear and in general is fairly comfortable with a “Walk about gun”.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

It should be arriving this week and I’ll mount it up and take some pics. I wont have the ability to take to the range for a few more weeks yet though.

Not currently using armor and probably unlikely use unless society really goes sideways. Mostly, I do a “lever” presentation (never heard the term, but it fits) from a low-ready, but I also want to do more from high-ready. In all scenarios, the sling (2pt sling with adjustable “slider”) is just always in my way. I probably need to take a carbine class to sort it out, but I always like seeing/hearing how others run their slings (among other things).

@Joseph_1970 Got the PL2 and mounted it this morning…

While I have the M2R PRO Warrior like yours, I do not have a mount, so I laid it on the table next to it so you can get an idea of size (not exact as the barrel in some of the photos is a few inches above the table). The barrel is 9" plus an A2 birdcage, the handguard is 8" M-LOK.

I took this pic as if I was looking through the MRO red dot, and its kinda close. The MRO mount is lower 1/3 cowitness, and I can just barely see the top of the light. I only notice it when I look for it. If you have a full co-witness or lower mount you may see more of it in your window. The red dot is turned off, the thing that looks like a dot in the image is a reflection of some sort that I dont see with my eyes.

A couple notes. I know i will probably never use the BUIS for real and this is a HD/CQB, but… I kinda dont like the front post so far back, that is a really short sight radius. It makes me want to go back and start looking at regular scout-type mounts and a pressure pad. Modlite has a really neat modbutton pressure pad (more like pressure button), but that takes me back into the size/weight class of a regular rifle light. I have kinda decided on a pistol light specifically because I want less size/weight on this rifle, so I am likely to keep this setup, but for others… YMMV.

I do not get any shadow from the barrel, not sure if your flashcan extends a bit further out it may cast a little shadow. The light is mounted on the furthest forward picatinny slot. I am noodling how I might mount it at another position (3, 6, 9 oclock) but a) it would add more weight with an MLOK/PIC mount, and b) I think it would make activation more awkward.

For me, the switch is easy to reach from either left or right side. Activation is intuitive with click for constant and press for momentary. Making it strobe is a “press both toggles at once”… good luck with that :laughing:

I picked this PL-2 Valkyrie for a couple reasons.

• I like Olight
  • Only 4.06oz
  • 1200 lumens, it is more “floody” than “throwy”
  • uses 2 CR123a batteries. They offer a rechargable versions in the PL-MINI 2 Valkyrie (600lumens) and the PL-Pro Valkyrie (1500lumens), but I specifically wanted non-rechargeable and just replace the battery once a year. If you use lights a lot, one of the rechargeables may be a better choice. The mini in particular is really tiny and lightweight (2.5oz).
  • On sale last week was $75

I see a lot of people running surefire x300 in this same role on AR pistols. There are likely some other models of pistol lights that would also work well in this role.

5 Likes

@Harvey thanks for the info my friend, that Olight is considerably smaller than the M2R. As a matter of fact I just ordered the PL2 :joy::joy: just hate I am going to lose my pressure switch, but oh well, have to sacrifice something to get the weight down some.

3 Likes

Good setup. I like those braces slightly better than my Sig SB15 brace. As for the SiteMark, I have one, and it seems ok. Only thing is that switching reticles presumes that the detent gets it right and windage doesn’t get whacked out to the side. So pick your favorite, zero it, then leave it set. Don’t add too much more to it, ounces adds to pounds, pounds add to major hassle. Make an exception for a suppressor when resources allow. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Looks awesome! I built a 5.56 pistol last Summer. Very fun to shoot and is more accurate than I expected from a 10.5 inch barrel. Not enough rounds through it to make it my home defense gun yet. Your front angled hand guard has been ruled illegal. I wanted one like yours, but had to settle for a Magpul hand stop instead. Enjoy your handiwork and stay safe.

3 Likes

Joe, I think it looks awesome, how long is the barrel, 10.5 inches?

2 Likes

I think it’s great. A man with one well kept, well appointed PDW is to be respected, ( unless your a little foolish ), there is a reason we used to say " be ware the man with only one rifle" because ( unsaid ) he may know that one rifle very well.

2 Likes

@John250 I appreciate it, thats a 9.5 inch barrel I’m currently running. May end up going to an 8.5, haven’t decided yet.

1 Like

Got it!
I am running a 7.5" on my ATI OmniMax AR pistol 5.56. It is a hoot, loud & flashy

John A. Sine
215-760-5972

2 Likes