Which do you prefer to shoot in-Indoor or outdoor range and why

I love range day, but I prefer shooting outdoors because of the fresh air. Also outdoors you can train to shoot in cold weather just in case god forbid your hands are cold and your firefight is outdoors. You should practice in both types of ranges. Which do you guys prefer and why?

5 Likes

The answer any good consultant would give…it depends.

I really (really really really) like the climate control and target return systems of indoor shooting. I like to meet new people and see the people I know who work the range. I’ve shot outside in a place that had paper targets. it was a major PITA waiting for others to shoot before I could get my target. And then, I’m slogging around in the mud to do it. Meh. I shot outside on my own land. That was nice. I could draw, rapid fire, shoot at what I wanted to when I wanted to, and more. Still, it could have been cold, wet, hot, humid, etc.

5 Likes

Two words: Snow Humidity. Indoor ranges during winter; outdoor range during summer unless the humidity is through the roof.

10 Likes

Yeah they both have advantages and disadvantages. Outdoors you can shoot rifles for distance and like you said drawing from the holster, kneeling, laying down.

3 Likes

Variety is the spice to life. Your shooting should be done in all of the above. Experience what you do and how you perform “shooting in the rain” I am going to write that into a song. To challenge yourself in a variety of uncomfortable situation should help you improve in a realistic scenario in which you will probably, most likely have to deal with.
I enjoy changing ranges to experience the differences in weather and scenery.

3 Likes

Outdoor ranges usually give me more training options. They might let me practice drawing, for example. And they have much much longer lengths, especially if I want to practice rifles. I don’t mind the weather, it helps me train for different conditions.

Having said that, there are no more outdoor ranges in my county, so I usually shoot indoors. Besides being closer, they’re all found inside gun stores. That’s good for my supply closet but bad for my wallet.

2 Likes

My favorite times shooting are always at an outdoor range. The times with family and friends on our private ranges are so much fun, my answer is a no brainer.

1 Like

I prefer outdoor NFS or BLM land, where I’m the only one there. No worries about others’ bad or unsafe habits.

3 Likes

Outdoor for me. I sometimes feel confined and can’t see everything indoors. But I do go to indoor ranges and enjoy them when I do.

1 Like

Gotta be outdoors for me and preferably private. It’s not that I’m anti social it’s just that I’m a gun control advocate, if there is a gun around I want to be in control of it. :sunglasses:

The other main reason is what’s left of my hearing, indoor ranges intensify not only the sound but the concussion of the weapon being fired. I have enough issues with tinnitus and don’t need to exacerbate it.

I don’t mind, hot, cold or wet but I prefer not to be cold AND wet at the same time.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

Sadly, my ears have been ringing for more than 40 years. I think I would feel weird if it went away.

With that said, I also prefer outdoor because it isn’t as loud.

5 Likes

2 Likes

@Brad Yeah, been there, done that and that is the reason to this day I don’t wear underwear (except in khakis and dress clothes). Glad I learned it in training because in the years before Lycra bike shorts it took down all of us that did for 5 days of PURE misery. The old guys just laughed at us and went for a run.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Unfortunately I do not have outdoor ranges at my location.
I’m excited about outdoor shooting in 4 weeks (new handgun classes). Long drive, but I know it’ll be worth it. This is gonna be my first time out of “wall square”.
I agree with you @Johnnyq60 - we should practice in and out. :+1:

2 Likes

Outside. It incorporates all the weather factors in your shooting: wind , cold temperatures, hot sweaty temperatures, wet, dark etc
I like an indoor range as well

2 Likes

Both are fun to me. It really depends on what I am practicing that day.

2 Likes

I use both. Outdoor when I can, but when the humidity is at 541.83%, I will be inside…

5 Likes

I prefer in-doors

2 Likes

I have been a member of an indoor range gun club since 2008. The comradery is a big plus for me. And we have some friendly Bowling Pins competition a couple evenings a month which is great sport. The range is only 11 miles from my home so it is just a short drive to be shooting.

I also enjoy shooting outside. The local DNR range is about a 35 mile drive, but I go there when I want to stretch out my shooting with my rimfire and centerfire rifles. I always take a couple of pistols along for 50 practice.

I guess I would say, join which ever you can. And, if you have the opportunity and where with all, join both if you don’t have a public outdoor range close by.

Good shooting, and be safe.
R321

2 Likes

[quote=“Robert372, post:19, topic:27186”]

1 Like