It's been a long time since I've been to an outdoor range!

Ok - I’ll admit it! I haven’t been to an outdoor range since I was a kid (nope, not going to tell you how long ago that was). Here are some tips from the USCCA’s blog:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/what-to-expect-your-first-time-at-an-outdoor-range/

What advice would YOU give me?

1 Like

Don’t do it. You’ll never wanna go inside again. Lol

5 Likes

You can take out “since I was a kid” and that applies to me. With nice weather here, I’m anxious to get outside and see what it’s like shooting outdoors. We have a shotgun that we haven’t even been able to shoot yet since we can’t at the indoor range. Our indoor range is really close to us, but I’m having trouble finding outdoor ranges within a reasonable distance. There is one I know of where we could shoot the shotgun, but not the pistols. We may just have to travel a little.

1 Like

The best part about outdoor ranges is that the handgun and rifle areas are kept separate. In other words, you won’t have to deal with “Mr. Mag Dumps with a Short-Barrelled AR-15” hammering you with muzzle blast in the next lane. The great weather is nice too.

2 Likes

I go to our outdoor range just about a half hour drive from here at least 2-3 times a month. Wouldn’t trade the outdoor range for a indoor range for anything! It’s nice to be out with the wind blowing and hearing the wildlife in the woods.

2 Likes

Rural areas are really nice in that my outdoor range is pretty much anywhere with a natural burm and enough room to shoot.
I have a spot 1/4 mile from my house that has several burms out to about 150 yards.
Just make sure to pick up after yourself!

2 Likes

Advice? Pack water, sun screen, bug spray, and a staple gun. Most outdoor ranges use fixed target stands.

3 Likes

We bought 20 acres and put a 200 yard range on it. Ahhh it was beautiful.
Indoor range is good for rainy days. Having a private range is the absolute best!

3 Likes

@Matt_W we can shoot off our front porch :wink: it’s pretty awesome.

@Dawn - @James is on to important stuff there. I’d also say… plan on porta-potties. That means you may want to bring TP, hand wipes, sani-gel and other related items, at least in your car if not your range bag.

I bring a separate case or bag to dump my collected brass in, and a nutpicker if it’s somewhere that they let you retrieve brass generally, not just your own.

Lots of the outdoor ranges really don’t have seating so I’d suggest a folding lawn chair, possibly one with a built in shade. Also, depending on how much hardscape there is, a folding table if you don’t have a pickup tailgate to flop your gear on.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’m fortunate that my gun club is way too ritzy and has a great clubhouse, but that is not the norm.

4 Likes

@James nice! Range I was at recently didn’t even have porta-potties… they had woods. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

I’m going to join a local club next month, fairly decent facilities. I have a friend with a private range and a couple indoor ranges at my disposal, but I’m tired of paying per visit as neither indoor range has a membership and my buddy is almost an hour away.

2 Likes

Bring more than you think. Run outta ammo? Can’t buy more there. Same with targets, etc. Pack accordingly for weather: clothing, footwear, bug spray, sunscreen, water, a couple sodas/lunch if you plan on making it a day trip, and so on. I love shooting outdoors and would take it any day over indoor ranges! Other advice, don’t get flustered. Sometimes a wind gust will kick up, or that mosquito takes a chomp out of you.

3 Likes

Great points everyone! It almost sounds like you’re going to day camp to shoot at an outdoor range: TP, bug spray, sunscreen, water, lunch, porta-potties…

I’ll have to find the ritzy one James is talking about - LOL! I’m not a fan of the “facilities” being the woods. :confused:

4 Likes

Personally being able to shoot both indoor and outdoor ranges there are some differences that I have noticed. Indoor ranges are temperature controlled which you can shoot all day and not have to worry about environmental conditions. Meanwhile outdoor ranges have environmental conditions you have to contend with such as temperature, humidity, pressure and wind to name a few. I have found how my firearms shoot inside is different from the outside and vice versa. This is my personal observation in the firearms and the difference between the two types of ranges.

2 Likes

Daniel Boone. 2nd Tuesday of each month is when they accept new members. :smiley:

2 Likes

I go to an indoor range to work on ignoring distractions. The concussion and noise of other firearms at random unknown intervals is a good training tool to staying focused on my shooting and controlling heart rate and the desire to jerk the trigger

2 Likes