How many ranges do you have a membership with?

I have found that shooting at the same range is counterproductive. What I am trying to say is you will not be able to choose where you have to use self-defense and being familiar with your surroundings may or may not happen. I have four memberships at different ranges. Two are an outdoor range and the other two are indoor ranges.
It just so happens that three of the ranges are members only, so I felt as though there is no other choice if I wanted to utilize the range.
I was just wondering if there are others out there that are doing the same and if someone has any wisdom on this! Or maybe some tomfoolery if it is good and not lame.

6 Likes

Due to budget restrictions on my part; I’m only a member of one, but they happen to have several sites. I do enjoy try out other ranges from time to time, that I’'m not a member of, but have to pay the higher rate to use as a non member. Interesting question though, as I think some ranges do differ and can offer different learning and enjoyment.

4 Likes

I only have a membership at one outdoor range though I almost never shoot there. It only costs $30/year.

I have several gravel pits on public lands that I frequent because I can train the way I want at them Without restrictions and rarely have to deal with all the noise from other shooters at them.

7 Likes

I had a group today at the range, they were shooting, giggling and carrying on.

3 Likes

2 ranges with membership, but I shoot at 4 ranges on regular basis.
I like to use different facilities.

2 Likes

I’m a member at only one range (indoor) where I also take firearms training. I’ve also shot at 3 outdoor ranges. One is a DNR range in a neighboring town with no membership requirement (40 miles away.) One is a Sheriffs’ training range in another neighboring town, that is not open to the public. The Sheriff’s department has occasional public firearms classes (very basic.) Two others are on the private property of a friend and an acquaintance. I have one other acquaintance that I know has a range on his property, but I have not approached him yet.

3 Likes

Not a member, just showing up to the nearest indoor range.

I wish I have easy access.

4 Likes

You do, just over the mountain. I’ll show you my favorite spot. :+1:

3 Likes

I live rurally in Nv. I belong to one club at an outdoor range. I shoot IDPA, USPSA. There are other matches like steel challenge, and three gun and others. They are a lot of fun and good camaraderie.
Click link to find clubs in your area.

https://practiscore.com/search/clubs

I also have a range in my backyard, which hasn’t gotten much much use since the ammo shortage and price hike but I set up stages and shoot them with company if they shoot.

5 Likes

At any given time I am a member at 0-1. There are only two I tend to shoot at. I don’t worry about going to a different range making a difference to me RE: not being able to choose when I am potentially attacked and have to defend myself. For purposes of marksmanship training as it pertains to self defense use, the only difference I see in range choice is what I am able to do/not do…drawing from holster, rapid fire, reloads, movement, etc.

4 Likes

I am a member of only one range and use it frequently. But sometimes, I use other ranges. Some ranges allow for different forms and greater degrees of gun training where others do not.

5 Likes

Zero. I pay my $20 when I want to shoot and can pick any of them.

5 Likes

I also use an outdoor range most of the time that is a LEO (and open to the public) Range.
I feel safer there (No membership, $10 fee each time).
Monday I hooked up with a couple of ‘Staties’ and Sherriff’s who usually don’t
talk w/ the general public. they have their own ‘Berms’ they use that are usually restricted from public use. The interesting thing I found out is THEY just feel safer amongst themselves (go figure :laughing:)
It wasn’t a ‘dis’ on the public shooters it was the Negative responses FROM the public as they Trained/
Released Job stresses shooting gave them. Why would anybody want to Shoot and feel and hear ‘Why aren’t you doing more?’
or ‘What are you doing here when you should be out on the streets protecting us?’
Who needs THAT noise every time they just want to sharpen their skills or blow off the pressures of the job?. I found it Very enlightening and refreshing to hear first hand the crap they feel and the Pressure’s being imposed on them from .gov not being able to stop every single crime and put every ‘bad actor’ away for 100 years! Tell it to the Judges, catch and release, No Bail$, and on and on and on…
The ONLY thing that cause my sphincter to tingle was having (6) Cruiser’s roll up on me me at once (from behind) as I was Mag dumping my newest toy ! "Sometimes I just HAVE to Rock N Roll! (But that is totally on me that response :rofl:or maybe it should be :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). No bubble gum lights, some in civie’s, no guns drawn they just drove up regular like…so, It was like an unexpected jolt to my system, I placed my rifle on the table after clearing it and and put my hands up and they smiled and laughed! (and I almost had to change my shorts!)
They just wanted to know what was going on on 'The other side of the berm… Naturally. Cop curiosity.
Their instinctive ‘Copness’ coming out!
make sure the newest version of Bonnie and Clyde wasn’t training for something they’d have to deal w/ next shift. I had ‘fast signs’ make me some ‘Armed Security’ signs made up for my Xterra and my company logo and when they realized I was a guard they relaxed and then they broke out their hardware and let me play with them. It was wonderful. It was prolly the best shoot I have had in a long time. I shot better than I have in the last year! Anyway, sorry for the verbal diarrhea, I just wish to say that I am embarrassed that I felt the quality of Cops (all flavors) in my town has deteriorated to the point of being ineffective. yes their are some truly bad apples, but that’s true with most of society today so it was unfair of me to target the Poe-Poe at times just because I am frustrated with the current administration and it’s Evil plans.
They have some fantastic hardware and they were EXTREMELY PROFECIENT with said Hardware.
I fell in love w/ a stunning Detective’s M4 w/ laser light and awesome scope. She was awesome and deadly. But the kicker was the Barrett .50 cal (I have a particular fondness for those). What a trip !
(5) rounds and I felt I was delivered into alternate Universe where all things were corrected and right in my world! I want one! NO range officers to meddle in my business was why I came out here in particular instead of going to ‘Caliber’s’ Local indoor range much closer I explained when they asked me and they also agreed. When I feel the need for speed, playing, and mag dumping (Caliber’s usually frowns on that) Except when Dave17 visited and we went there and had a good shoot! They left us relatively alone except for one old grinch who stared at us (what the phuck ever) Let ‘em stare! It was prolly our exceptional fire arms handling and Marksmanship that awed his panty wearing self. But outdoors is the real deal for me, I don’t even feel the cold! It’s FREEDOM and feeds my higher self to shoot outside. So no memberships for me. My new shooting buddies told me the days they (usually come there) and invited me to join the for the ‘Christmas Turkey Shoot’… It’s when the bring out their BEST Hardware and there are competitions (and no real turkeys’), Beverages and a cook out!
(My Christmas wish came early this year)

WWG1WGA

3 Likes

I’m a member of two different ranges — the state range that costs $12 a year, and a private range. If I’m just doing handgun or at sighting in a rifle, I might go to the public range, as it’s a lot closer. But the private range is a lot more fun. There, I’m able to shoot out to 1,000 yds. on a rifle, and the shotgun / pistol bays allow one to move around freely if there’s no one else there (and there usually isn’t by the time I make it to the range). I also shot at an indoor range occasionally, usually when relatives visit from out of state and aren’t used to the weather here, but I’m not a member there. I just pay for the hour and call it good. I’ve also gone to another range about an hour away that has moving targets, but go so rarely that it’s not worth the membership. I just get the day pass with that one and am able to shoot as long as I like.

Of the ranges I’ve been to, the private one is my favorite. I can do pretty much anything I want to there. Of course, I don’t get to go much because of $$$, but when I do it’s a blast! (No pun intended.)

4 Likes

I am tired of the nonsense at the club ranges up here.
seems like I have a A$$clown magnet in my back pocket.
because they all ways’ find me and give me chit.
I can shoot up to 300 yards off my back porch with out any hassel anytime.
if I need more distance there is the sands south of Gay Mi. [5 miles of range]

4 Likes

None, I built one in my backyard. Nothing but open fields behind me.

4 Likes

Um…can I come over?
I’ll bring da Boolits!

3 Likes

Just the one membership. Cost was sweat equity. Outdoor range real close, within walking distance. Go to town in the bitter cold months. We are very lucky to have our own.

6 Likes

None, I have a private range to myself and near family. Nothing fancy but it works. We also have a county sponsored range that is nice and Free. our county taxes help with it.

4 Likes

I own my own private shooting range, but we change the layout regularly to try to keep it fresh. I’ve been to a couple different indoor ranges. Never been overly fond of indoor ranges. They teach bad habbits due to typical indoor range restrictions.

4 Likes