What's better than Hoppe's 9?

I use Hoppe’s for cleaning my guns. I know a lot of you do as well. It’s a great overall product. Well, maybe not for cologne… :wink:

What other gun cleaning brands do you recommend?

4 Likes

Along with Hoppe’s products, Remington Brite Bore, and RemOil have served me well.

2 Likes

Hoppe’s #9 and Gunzilla sitting on my desk right here at my elbow :smiley:

3 Likes

Hoppes and CLP

3 Likes

I might wear Hoppes #9 as cologne…

7 Likes

… and @Spence you’ll find the best women don’t mind if you do :grin:

7 Likes

Breakthrough Clean and CLP

2 Likes

I have had good results with Balistol, and with Kroil. I do carry a spray can of RemOil in my range bag.

Regards.

3 Likes

I usually use Hoppe’s but use CLP for rifle barrels and some of the harder to reach places on rifles. I recently picked up Shooter’s Lube solvent and lubricant. I haven’t pulled it out to use it yet but I will post how it works compared to the others once i have a chance.

4 Likes

Shooter’s choice

3 Likes

7 Likes

What as an aphrodesiac or as a mind altering drug the smell of which can take you back to sitting on grampa’s lap cleaning guns and a return to the happiest days of your Life?

Oh you mean as an actual cleaning solvent? Unfortunately nearly all of the modern cleaners are vastly superior in many ways but they’ll never have the same hypnotic effect as Hoppe’s.

For the most part I use polymer safe sprays to blow out the crud and foaming bore cleaners to get the tube clean unless it’s really bad then I’ll use Montana extreme, brushes, snake, and or patches and do it the old fashioned way.

For lubricants I use either Machine Gunners Lube or Lucas.

With my semi auto’s I’ll use some high temp bearing grease lightly applied to the contact points along the rails and slide.

Machine Gunners lube is probably the bet overall protestant and long term lube I’ve ever come across as it was specifically formulated and produced for the US Military as a lubricant for our machine guns and Gatling guns.

With the ML even if you manage to get one hot enough to run it dry by cooking off the petroleum it leaves a permanent molybdenum coating that continues to lubricate.

4 Likes

Ballistol, if it’s good enough for Hickok45, it’s good enough for me.

8 Likes

I use wd 40 along with hoppes .

3 Likes

If the barrel is really bad, Sweet’s 7.62 solvent works great. I prefer the smell of Hoppe’s’ No. 9 though

2 Likes

Not necessarily a cleaner but has anyone used Mobil 1 motor oil (10W40) as a lubricant?

2 Likes

@Mike15 ballistol isn’t one I’m familiar with… is it specifically for firearms?
Welcome to the group!

1 Like

It’s not specific for guns, but mostly that is what it is used for. It is vegetable based and totally nontoxic. If you are not familiar with Hickok45, check him out on YouTube, he is a shooting legend and where I got most of my information in the beginning. I order the Ballistol from Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ballistol+gun+cleaner&crid=1RTI6WI7OQTJH&sprefix=Ballistol%2Caps%2C223

Mike

2 Likes

I’ve started with Hoppe’s9, then switched to Mil-Comm MC25 (definitely better) and ended up with M-Pro7 which seemed to be the best so far.
I’m going to try Ballistol soon to find best and easiest way to clean and lube the gun.

… answering the topic question: “everything is better than Hoppe’s 9” :yum::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face:

2 Likes

@Andrew4
I’ve been using Mobil1 5W30 to lube rails on pistol - works perfectly. Stays on place, doesn’t burn out. And costs nothing - my car doesn’t mind to have 1 oz less of oil every 10K :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like