Which oil and solvent are you currently using?

I’m currently using I’m currently using Hoppes #9 Bore Cleaner and Oil for cleaning guns, Frankly, I found them cheap and decided to give them a try. I’m not really impressed so thought I would ask what others are currently using?

5 Likes

I think that there are already other threads on this. May want to do a search.

1 Like

Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil (and grease)
Lucas CLP
Slip 2000 EWL (and EWG)
M-Pro stuff

3 Likes

Break free CLP

It’s good enough for uncle sugar and I’ll never own that many firearms. Good enough for me.

3 Likes

This should cover just about everything for a long time

3 Likes

M-Pro system
Bill Wilson oils and lubes
CLP
Ballistol for extreme circumstances
Lately, getting lazy, looking into an ultrasonic cleaner.

3 Likes

Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and Ballistol for general cleaning. Hoppes
bore cleaner once or twice a year.
Got a few different types of oil for lubing, hoppes, gunslick, Otis, some other…all seems the same.

2 Likes

Here again I defer to the 'ol-timers. I’m a “space cadet” when it comes to that, still on my very first ‘bottle’ of oil ; ‘goo-goo-ga-ga’. Tried a few but can’t complain about any of em.

I have trouble tolerating strong odors, so I shy away a lil bit from Hoppes, despite it works well for me. Too many to choose from. One I like because I find little to no odor is the brand:

Here’s a curve-ball Q: What if for some odd reason, you really needed to do a cleaning and oiling “on the fly”, but forgot or didn’t have any supplies that day? What households items DIY hacks) would suffice for one day?

• Nail polish remover (risk damaging your finish though?)
  • Baby diaper (cotton)
  • Cotton swabs
  • Toolbox oil/bike oil, ( eg “3 in 1” brand)

Tips?

1 Like

IMO >>

• good old # 9, let it soak.
  • copper fowling = sweets.
  • general lubrication for firearms and pellet guns ; use ATF ( automatic transmission fluid ) it won’t harm o rings and gaskets. The only time I hear of using ATF is from pros. that been in the Business for Decades.
    PS: get some needle applicators From: Brownell‘s for general use.

@BlackHawk
4 Likes

Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber (Synthetic Safe version 15oz)-

Universal Ultima Lube II Bore Cleaner 4oz- Wilson Combat $20 (Shipped)

Universal Ultima II Gun Lube 4oz- Amazon.com

I also use a “red dot condom” to protect my optic, rather than taking it off- https://www.amazon.com/s?k=holosun+cover+protector&crid=127C0CNAFQ70D&sprefix=holosun+cover%2Caps%2C91&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_13

Just my opinion, you get what you pay for.

1 Like

When I hear “Military Grade” all I ever think is “made by lowest bidder” :joy:

6 Likes

…who offered “kickback” :crazy_face:

The old days.

1 Like

Doubt that would be needed, one of the reasons I keep my firearms cleaned and well lubed is the margin it gives for crap to happen and not need to do any maintenance. Kind of like changing the oil ‘early’ in my car, and not going below 1/2 tank of fuel.

For cleaning, nothing, it’s not going to need cleaned. Or, just grab a t-shirt or other shirt or a kitchen towel or whatever.

Any oil. I’d never be without firearms marketed lubricant at my own house so that’s not an issue, but if some weird ass crap happened and for some unimaginable reason I needed to clean and lube my firearm (what happened to all the lube I already had on it though?) using someone else’s houshold stuff, I’d field strip and wipe it down with a shirt and then grab whatever oil I could find to re-lube. Their gun oil, motor oil, “empty” motor oil jug or container that has plenty still in it for a firearm, whatever generic lubricant they have in their garage/shed/work area etc

pull the dipstick from a car and take the oil from the dipstick

3 Likes

I currently use Hoppe’s 9 to clean all of my firearms. It gets the job done. I also use their lubricating oil.

3 Likes

2 Likes

How did the 290 work for you?

2 Likes

You noticed eh? Can’t say for sure yet, I haven’t live fired since applying it to the delinquent sight. It sure feels like an improvement though.

But now that I know it’s a thing, I’m going to be applying it to some existing ones as a preventative measure

3 Likes

Be the first on your block to get some.

2 Likes

Switched from hoppes 9 solvent and oil and moved to BF: CLP.

BF works great for me. One substance to manage, it does what it needs to do. I used to think the two substances have to better. Usually versatile products are less effective as separate ones, but I find CLP does great.

2 Likes

In a pinch…on one hunting trip my father-in-law pulled the dipstick from the truck and lubed all the guns. He would also use trans fluid in a pinch if it was really cold. On super cold trips we would pull the bolts, drop them in gas just before the hunt. Lube can get thick in super cold. Better no lube for that one shot when you have several hundred riding on the shot.

2 Likes