What do racing and shooting have in common?

Racing and shooting have a lot in common - but the aspect I was thinking about is both involve machines that need to be kept in good working order.

Scott Wagner just did a great blog about one firearms oil that had its roots in racing.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/lucas-oil-firearms-products/

Now I’m not saying it’s better than Hoppes 9 or any other suggestion in What's better than Hoppe's 9? But it might be worth taking a look at.

For fun, what else do racing and shooting have in common?

3 Likes

Both require attention to detail.

3 Likes

My Husband :laughing:

6 Likes

I have been using automotive products in my guns for DECADES. I used Slick 50 grease to lap my 1911 slides. At one point the “utlra accuracy boy” were using a mix of Lucas oil and Shooters Choice as a bore cleaner. To this day I will take a parkerized bolt for an AR platform and soak it in a jug of 10W-30 before I take it to the range. I use ARP Assembly Lube when screwing in a new tube on a rifle. Between auto racing and aviation performance products I have a crap ton of lotions and potions for my guns and cars.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Both require attention to safety.

3 Likes

Both will make you broke. On the bright side, you won’t have any money to be an alcoholic or drug addict. I’m just sayin.

5 Likes

A lot of truth to that statement

1 Like

Loud and Fast.
Also hearing protection.

2 Likes

LOL! My boys are gear heads (I think that’s a good thing) they would rather spend money and time on their vehicles than on girls or drugs. I hope they find gear head women who enjoy the same things they do. :smiley:

3 Likes

An old friend of mine has a theory he calls “High, Loud, Fast, and Bright.” All enjoyable activities maximize as many of these as possible - racing, shooting, rocketry, fireworks, live sporting events, etc.

I would add “Bright” to both racing (the colorful vehicles) and shooting (the flash at the muzzle end).

3 Likes

I can go with that :smiley:
one small problem though… it doesn’t account for girls and horses :wink:
Maybe the combo there is “Big, Powerful, Dangerous, Fast, and Sweet.” :laughing:

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s in the DNA. Only way to explain it.

2 Likes

Oh, but @Zee, what about the horses?
:innocent:

4 Likes

@CHRIS4 I see you were paying attention :grin: :+1:

4 Likes

The phrase “slow is smooth, smooth is fast” applies to both. I miss racing sometimes.

4 Likes

Fun fun fun.
I saw a post today on my hotrod page. Paraphrasing.
A driver climbs out of his double decker race trailer, grabs a drink out of the refrigerator, stretches out in his lounge chair and grumbles about the costs and pains of keeping a competitive car winning.
In another place, a driver climbs out of his beat up car on his flatbed trailer, grabs a drink out of the ice chest on the grass, sits in his folding chair and grins thinking about how much fun he’s just had.

5 Likes

@OldSchlPunk I thought it was, “If you want to go left, turn right.”
Only dirt track people understand that.

7 Likes

Not only dirt track people, motorcycle riders in general :wink:

4 Likes

As in racing you must be able to hit your marks without fail to win.

5 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving

3 Likes