How often do you clean your firearm?...after every trip to the range?, or every other trip?...or every third trip?

I try to clean mine every time i use em’…but i might let it go to every other time once in a while, but never let em’ go uncleaned for more than that. Not sure if i should be cleaning em’ after every single use though…

3 Likes

Depends how many rounds I put downrange. Mostly after each time I go. Habits from military don’t go away.

7 Likes

I own and shoot Glocks.

Draw your own conclusions.

:grin:

4 Likes

Every time I leave the range I do a quick clean with a bore snake and every six months a complete break down with cleaning and parts replacement, ie springs if required etc. it’s a little anal but I like to know that my firearms are in perfect working order.
I practice weekly sending 200-400 rounds down range.
If the liberals have their way I’ll be sending arrows down range. Anyone know how to conceal a compound bow?

6 Likes

Every time tends to be my habit. Occasionally if I know I’m going right back out in a few days, then I might not…but if it’s going to be more than a week before my next firing of the weapon, it gets cleaned.

4 Likes

I lean towards every time I shoot em. unlike a lot of folks, when I go to the range I shoot a minimum of 75-100 rounds each time -I am there for shooting(practice) I enjoy it ,always have, and shoot longer than most people. so I clean them when I get home; every time they get used.

4 Likes

Bore snake w/cleaner and oil X3 and lube slide/bolt every time I shoot it. They rarely come apart for a full cleaning. My research showed that it was unnecessary. (The same proved true for car oil changes. I sent mine off to be tested.)

5 Likes

I usually go as far as field stripping and clean not major dis-assembly and clean and have found it to be fine for me and the guns, after each use that is

4 Likes

All my firearms identify as bow and arrows. Problem solved.

6 Likes

At minimum, I always wipe down and lightly oil the BCG or bolt, depending on the action. The BCG or bolt is the heart of the firearm. Much like our bodies, what you feed it will have consequences. In addition, where you feed it affects it as well.

Sand, especially blowing sand can raise hell. This begs the question; would you oil/lubricate your firearms the same way in this environment vs. a rain forest? I hope your answer is no. Too much oil and sand is bad. Oil attracts bad things, especially in a firearm. The last thing you want is a seized firearm, especially in an M-4, M-16, AR platform. Why? Non-reciprocating charging handles can pose problems in this situation. I’ve seen it happen.

3 Likes

I enjoy cleaning guns, I do it after every range trip.

7 Likes

If I know they’ll be going out again “soon” I won’t clean them. But if they’ll be locked up for more than a few weeks I’ll clean them immediately.

3 Likes

I wasn’t in the military, but was trained by an Army Ranger. I go to the range 2-3 times a month, field strip and clean after every visit, as I was taught. Plus, it’s enjoyable, and lets me inspect my firearms.

3 Likes

@OldGnome I hear 'ya. I take a cotton swab to clean the Glock logos at least every 6 months, despite the factory recommended 12 months. I just figure it’s better to error in the name of safety.

7 Likes

I’ll clean about every 200-300 rounds.

2 Likes

LOL, you beat me to it. That’s exactly what I was
going to say. I’m reluctantly becoming the cliche Glock guy. I still love my American 1911’s though.

3 Likes

Before I lost all my Glocks in that Terrible Boating Accident, I didn’t clean them because they needed it to be able to function. It was just I didn’t like storing dirty things.

4 Likes

I base my cleanings off round count, as I saw someone else say. Unlike most of you though, I wouldn’t say I love cleaning them. I don’t hate it either… It’s just necessary. :v:t5:

2 Likes

I clean them all after shooting. Even the tactical Tupperware. Guess I just like cleaning guns.

That certainly is an advantage for the Glocks, easy as heck to clean, and rarely need any replacement parts. 1911’s can be a bit more ‘needy’ but worth the time to me.

3 Likes

We clean ours after every trip to the range.

2 Likes