Weapons

The old sayings:
Give an inch and they take a mile…
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure…

2 Likes

Off topic but are you familiar with zddp being removed from engine oil? It didn’t affect new car buyers, but caused a lot of expense to people having freshly rebuilt engines fail. Finally the culprit was discovered…

2 Likes

After this discussion I realized that I got reason, why we never use term “weapon” during the classes.
I’ve been always thinking we don’t use that term because somebody decided to do so…
As defensive shooters, we don’t want our firearm to be a weapon. It eventually can be, but this is the last resort.

5 Likes

Precisely.

3 Likes

But, as a defensive shooter, I carry my handgun precisely because it is an effective weapon if, God forbid, it needs to be. If it was not an effective weapon, I would not carry it or even own it.

Or, maybe instead of weapons, we should call them “arms”?

That’s what they are and why they are Constitutionally protected, yes? Because they are “arms”?

What is the difference between “arms” and “weapons”?

2 Likes

All depends on how, when and in what context are you using the terms.
You can use however you like, as long as it make sense and is understandable to others.

Do we need the Constitution to be involved in this thread?
Everybody knows that 2nd Amendments is not about human upper limbs. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am pretty sure anyone using “weapon” on this site is not referring to a golf club.

2 Likes

That is one issue I have with my permit, it is a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit). Many other states have CCW (Concealed Carry Weapons) permit/license that “allows” carry of most any weapons (handguns, knives, etc.) concealed.

4 Likes

Absolutely disagree. It could be a golf club, pepper spray, kitchen knife, broken bottle, chain, lamp, car…

It is a firearm. It can be used as a weapon.

3 Likes

The bottom line is, make no mistake, firearms are arms which are weapons and their effectiveness as weapons is THE reason they are Constitutionally protected.

So yes, if we are going to debate whether or not it’s proper or acceptable to refer to arms as weapons, the Constitution needs to be involved.

I might even argue the point that if the tool in question does not fit the category of “arms”, then it can be infringed ten ways from Sunday without any particular legal protection stopping those infringements.

So, to circle back, open Q, what is the difference between “arms” and “weapons”?

4 Likes

I don’t recall any conversation threads dealing with those topics, but hey, there’s always tomorrow.

1 Like

Barry54 - My initial take away is “friends don’t let friends test their pepper spray.” I hope he was treated to more than a few beers afterwards, That being said, where I live security personnel that want to be certified to carry/use pepper spray get a dose as part of the training/certification process. Same goes for taser - they get zapped. My range moves a lot of pepper spray and a fair amount of other non-lethal defensive items (tasers, pepper ball guns). Each has its own pros and cons. For pepper I only recommend gel - less blow back. For tasers people need to understand it is a one-shot only deal. After use, many brands require you to send the “cartridge” back to their factory for reloading (minimal or no cost). For others, you must purchase a new cartridge. I have yet to test the pepper ball “guns” - literature says they are accurate out to 60 feet. Whether I am open or concealed carrying I always also carry pepper gel.

2 Likes

Our body is the weapon ( think about it )

5 Likes

Unfortunately my original hardware/software is 75 years out of date. I must accessorize now.

2 Likes

0311?

(Post must be at least six characters)

1 Like

I always travel with 3 ( me, myself and I )
I can still do the dance ( one time ) = the last dance.
Happy thoughts.

At Scout Camp, all our firearms are referred to as “Sporting Arms”
The 20 gauges were for trap and skeet shooting, the .22lrs for shooting groups on paper targets.

At all the defensive training classes I’ve taken, our firearms were rightly referred to as weapons as they are used to defend against violent aggressors.

If I buy a rifle to hunt moose, I’d consider it a sporting arm unless the moose is attacking.
If I buy a .38 snub to defend my family, it’s a weapon.

If one wants to be “woke” I suppose the term “defensive firearms” might be considered politically correct.
Hmmmm…has anyone asked Beto how he feels about private citizens owning defensive firearms?

2 Likes

Yes sir. Talking about assault rifles is “woke”
Do you think calling the 22’s the scouts are training with weapons would be woke or anti-woke?

In CA the only weapons allowed to be listed on a CCW are handguns, IIRC
No small unlicensed nuclear devices allowed, LOL!

1 Like