Weapons

I think we should stop using the term woke.

5 Likes

And just call it being ignorant and/or brainwashed?

5 Likes

Calling the .22s my Scouts trained with sporting arms is accurate (see what I did there?)
Could they be used as weapons? With training (remember the IDF successfully deployed scoped and suppressed Ruger 10/22s during riots) but my scouts weren’t trained for that.

1 Like

So then you agree not all firearms should be called weapons.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Yes, some states require that the carry handgun be listed on the license/permit. Virginia does not have that. We are “allowed” to carry any handgun we have - and we do not have a list of “approved” handguns.

Lucky devil!

1 Like

Agreed, depending on the intent and deployment.
To the best of my understanding, there’s no such thing as a “sporting” ICBM

1 Like

I would say more like unfounded.

1 Like

Please don’t treat our own family like that.

Nearly 100% of my firearms aren’t weapons. They sit in a safe, would never be carried or out and available, or loaded. They are for fun and learning for me and my friends/family. They were not purchased for protection, conflict, or any intent to harm/kill anything whatsoever.

We aren’t you. We aren’t like you. Don’t play games trying to get people to think like you, or manipulate their thoughts/words in a public forum so that you hear what you want. It is the opposite of a wonderful forum like this.

So what if someone buys a 4” barrel 38/357 and shoots paper targets and never points it at a person their entire life? Is that a weapon?
Does the barrel being longer not automatically make it a weapon?

I believe what the object/tool is currently being used for determines if it is a weapon or not.

What about a well used black powder firearm that actually was used in a war in the 1800’s and now hangs over the fireplace. Is that a weapon?

1 Like

Stating “unfounded people” or a “person is unfounded” is linguistically awkward and not a proper usage of the term. nor would most people understand its equivalence to “woke”. Using the term “ignorant” is equivalent to “woke”, and stating “ignorant people” or a “person is ignorant” is linguistically better, proper usage, and easily understood.

I’m sorry Brad or anyone else that I have hurt by trying to have thought provoking conversation about firearms vs weapons terminology in a 2A section of a forum.
John who I directly quoted agreed that not all firearms should be called weapons under all circumstances.

No name calling. No harm intended…

2 Likes

2 Likes

So what if someone buys a 4” barrel 38/357 and shoots paper targets and never points it at a person their entire life? Is that a weapon?
Does the barrel being longer not automatically make it a weapon?
*That depends on why *
If he’s shooting purely for fun, it’s a sporting arm
If he’s practicing in order to defend his loved ones, it’s a weapon

I believe what the object/tool is currently being used or maintained or purchased for determines if it is a weapon or not. Fixed it for you!

What about a well used black powder firearm that actually was used in a war in the 1800’s and now hangs over the fireplace. Is that a weapon?

Then It’s a relic unless it is kept loaded, then it’s a weapon, and the owner doesn’t care if it gets stolen

1 Like

So, what you do with the firearm redefines what it is?

Does that mean that when a pistol brace is shouldered…is it now a short barrel rifle?

What about when a handgun is fired using two hands…does that mean it is now a rifle?

I find it very strange this discussion is using things like the color of the weapon or how it is used to define what it is.

1 Like

Making progress!

So could we then argue that the black rifle platform with a barrel over 20” in length or has a bull barrel is a target or sporting rifle and should not be grouped in with the “bayonet lug and pistol grip” crowd?

I’m sticking to my guns that what you are currently using the object for determines if it is called a weapon. The everyday baseball bat is a perfect example.

2 Likes

I notice you sidestepped the implications or precedent setting nature of that.

Care to address the rest?

Sidestepping? I apologize. Break it down big bird to Barney style for me.
Seriously.

A baseball player could be holding a baseball bat hitting baseballs during a game.

If that person became enraged and hit a person from the opposing team he is now holding a weapon.

2 Likes

If using ___ firearm as a “sporting arm” redefines it as being a “sporting arm” and not a weapon, then using a firearm with a short barrel as a rifle by shouldering it redefines it as a short barrel rifle yes? And using both hands on a handgun would redefine it to be a rifle (and thus an SBR) and not a hand (singular, designed to be used with one hand) gun?

Or if not, why not?

(underpinning all of this, I still don’t really get why people object to referring to a firearm, particularly something like a centerfire handgun, as a weapon)

1 Like