What to call them, and why

Everyone has pet peeves, and I have more of them than most! (I’m the only guy at work who never leverages anything, drains any slides, or wants to pull up…don’t get me started.)

When talking with most regular folks, I cringe when I hear “weapon” or “gun” and prefer and use firearm. I notice a lot of variation even on manufacturer websites. Perceptive folks on this forum may have noticed (and it may have bugged you!).

What do you call them and why?

Does it change based on your audience?

12 Likes

In general I’m not picky. IMO it depends on how you are using the word(s). I carry a firearm so I can defend myself against someone with a weapon. Weapon is more general, unless specified (ie. knife, baton, gun). I also go to the range and shoot guns. You wouldn’t hear someone say they don’t like firearms, it’s always “I don’t like guns” or “guns are the devil”.

7 Likes

Subliminally, I’m sure that is an underpinning of why I use firearm.

5 Likes

I use gun, firearm and weapon interchangeably, depending on the audience.

6 Likes

I use firearm, handgun, weapon.
I’m avoiding gun everywhere…

The reason is simple - if I don’t use the word, it won’t come out from my mouth accidentally.
And we all know that gun can be deadly word in live scenarios.

6 Likes

I prefer the use of weapon when talking about firearms. It is something I grew up with and I am too old to change now. I the real world I don’t care what term you use when describing your means of self-defense. The bottom line in my opinion is that you have the where-with-all to be responsible for your own safety and the safety of your loved ones.

4 Likes
  1. Gun-a weapon,( see # 2 ) incorporating a metal tube from which bullets, shells, or other missiles are propelled by explosive force, typically making a characteristic loud, sharp noise.

2. Weapon- a weapon incorporating a metal tube from which bullets, shells, or other missiles are propelled by explosive force, typically making a characteristic loud, sharp noise. an object such as a gun,( see #1) a knife, or a missile, which is used to kill or hurt people in a fight or a war.

3. Firearm- a rifle, pistol, or other portable gun.( see #4 & #5 )

4. Pistol- a small firearm,( see #3 ) designed to be held in one hand.

5. Rifle - a gun,( see #1 ) especially one fired from shoulder level, having a long spirally grooved barrel intended to make a bullet spin and thereby have greater accuracy over a long distance.

7 Likes

I seem to remember “This is my rifle, this is my gun…”:smirk:

14 Likes

Firearm, sidearm and rifle. Guns baaaad, firearms goood. Assault rifle baaaad, rifle gooood.
Guns are weapons, firearms are tools. Guns kill people, firearms save people.

11 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: NUG :+1: :+1: :+1:

7 Likes

I try to call them Pistols, Revolvers, Shotgun, or Rifle.

Don’t check to see what I’ve called them on this forum - I am sure I don’t always try hard enough.

4 Likes

I don’t much care what or which I call my bang sticks. The only thing I don’t do is use the term “Cop’s or Cop” when referring to LEO’s. It’s probably just me but I always found that term derogatory. Oh, and it’s a suppressor not a silencer unless we are in England in which case it’s a muffler.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

Usually I call them by their brand name, previous owner, or a nick name.

4 Likes

I just say,

“You know what I mean”

5 Likes

Another of my pet peeves! Laughing over here…

4 Likes

I just refer to it simply as a FIREARM-a tool that can make or break you depending on how its used. A potential life saver if you practice and stay sharp. In the hands of a responsibly armed individual it can be a blessing, In the hands of a fool it can be a curse. Which one are you?

4 Likes

Firearm is virtually the only term I use as well. A weapon could be a finger nail clipper based on TSA rules. A gun, can be a firearm, bicep, or maybe some other anatomy part, who knows?

8 Likes

Firearms. I believe the NRA was starting to push the change in terminology about 10-11 years ago. I remember going through my NRA instructor training classes , and they were big on ensuring that we used “firearms” . Sounds less menacing? Lethal? Idk

7 Likes

Weapon is my pet peeve.
I like wheel gun, pistol, pistole, and boom stick.
I teach my 4H Kids to just call their tools what they are, a rifle.

9 Likes

What I call them definitely depends on the audience and to circumstance. Referring to weapons is a much broader category then referring to guns, firearms, pistols, rifles, etc. I even sometimes discuss them in the much broader category of tools.

10 Likes