Verbiage

Do you say gun or firearm?
And when asking for a certain firearm (you can see what my answer is) do you ask based on the caliber or the name ie. AR-15 or 5.56x45 NATO or more specifically: AK vs. 7.62x39.

1 Like

when referring to a gun I usually go to the basics, I carry a .45. I like to shoot my 9 MM. I carry a SIG P365XL. It is all about how you are telling the story, I have an AR. I shoot 5.56 rounds, I also shoot 69 grain Jacketed Hollow points Sierra Match King bullets. I go duck hunting with my 12 gauge pump, I do not need to say, full choke 18 inch barrel with cammo finish. As long as your message is getting across.
If you are going to look at a gun at the store, ask for make, model and size. IE,… Smith and Wesson 357 model 686, Springfield 1911 Commander .45, Comanche AR 45,
I have firearms because I have gun rights that our founding fathers felt it was so essential to the freedom of the people and the preservation of our nation that the American people maintain that freedom and liberty.

5 Likes

Firearm, gun, or boom stick depending on the group and sensitivity.

4 Likes

I think generally speaking, if there is one AR (style) rifle and one AK (style) rifle in the store, it would be easy enough to say “AR” or “AK”. Different types of rifles take 5.65x45 NATO and 7.62x39 that are not AR/AK’s, e.g. bolt actions, Ruger Mini’s, etc. Then there are pistol variants that have a short barrel and no shoulder stock.

If there’s a few AK style rifles on the shelf, don’t be afraid to just point and say “that one,” to the sales rep. I can’t read many of the labels at the distance my local gunshop stores them behind the counter… not counting the backwards or angled tags. If you don’t have a particular brand in mind, you can ask the sales person what models they have and the differences between them.

Unfortunately at the time of this writing, I don’t know if many people have the luxury to wait and research what models their local shop has on hand, as the firearm might be out of the door within a day or two of them getting it in stock. It might be worth it to ask your local shop what brands and models they tend to carry (or what they are getting in the near future), then do some research on them while waiting for one to show up on the shelf… or research which model/brand you like and check the manufacturer’s site for dealers in your area.

Just my personal preference, but I usually use the term “gun” in casual conversation, “firearm” for more formal conversation, and terms like “revolver,” “semi-auto (pistol/rifle),” “rifle,” “bolt action,” “lever action,” "shotgun,"etc. when I want to be more descriptive or am speaking to someone that is familiar with such things. Use whatever terms you want.

2 Likes

After basic and AIT I avoided the term “gun” since that brought on a whole new term called “dust that ass”(hazing by drill instructors). Funny to watch but not as fun to be targeted. A gun in my MOS is a cannon or piece. We called other common weapons by their nomenclature. I still tend to hold to that but I like to call them guns now that I’m no longer in the Army. I hope it makes people cringe too. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

1 Like

I think there’s already a thread on this topic. Moderator, can you combine?

What is the context of the question? Are you new to firearms, and don’t want to appear new to gunstore/range staff? I think it is better to indicate to them you may not understand the terminology, and most places will be helpful and explain what you need to know.

2 Likes

That’s relevant.
If you’re shopping for an everyday carry firearm, “gun” works just fine. If you specifically want a revolver, you should say “revolver.” The salesperson will know what you want. But if you’re talking to someone in the Army, a “gun” probably isn’t something you can carry.

3 Likes

Depends on the firearm. If someone is new to guns and wants to shoot something that won’t kick a lot. I suggest they try a .22 – for instance the Glock 44. Which confuses the heck out of them. Then I have to explain the Glock 44 is a .22 and they get even more confused and frustrated. :woman_facepalming: So I usually say try the Glock. (Usually I say try the Sig :innocent: but the local range doesn’t have a Sig .22 to rent.)

And as you may have notice, I use gun and firearm interchangeably in conversations. :smiley:

1 Like

Depends.
Semiauto=pistol
Revolver
Rifle
Shotgun
I do this so when I work with the 4H kids, I don’t call a rifle a weapon. We aren’t going to battle, it’s not a weapon. For speaking about all types in general, I’ll say firearms.

3 Likes

When speaking to non-firearm owners, I typically avoid trigger words (pun intended), such as “gun”, as they can have negative connotations (i.e., “gun control”). In these forums and elsewhere, I typically also use the words firearm, handgun, revolver, rifle, shotgun, etc. At a gun shop, I would just ask for the specific firearm I am interested in, which based on model would have to include caliber.

2 Likes

Reminds me of the difference between ships and boats. “You can put a boat in a ship.”

2 Likes

It’s “gun” most of the time. Most common usage:

LGS - Local gun store
Gun counter
GUNS signs
Gun-free zone
Gun Owners of America

1 Like

Engines and motors.

2 Likes

I’ve come to like the term “wheel gun”. :rofl:I never use the term “assault gun” because that would include any gun, not just AR-15s or scary looking black guns. :crazy_face:

“Ghost guns” is just funny. Anti-gunners are really just dumb. All of these can be made from scratch if you know how they work. But manufactured guns and ammo is much safer.

2 Likes

I do say wheel gun. And, hand cannon for big bores.

2 Likes

Well, you, sir, must never have been in field artillery.
Redleg
King Of Battle

2 Likes

I call them all my ex-wives. Noisy as hell and ready to go off at a moments notice.

1 Like

“Wheel Gun”

1 Like

This is a wheel gun…

2 Likes