Round
Magazine
Clip
Cartridge
Assault Rifle
Automatic
Victim

8 Likes

Assault Rifle - a firearm designed for military use that typically has one or more modes of fire, such as semi-auto, burst, full-auto
Bullet - the projectile of a cartridge
Round - the typical shape of a pizza pie, also another term for cartridge
Cartridge - also known as a round, but is not a pizza
Case - the part of the cartridge that contains the primer and powder, and what the end of the bullet is seated into
Casing - what saugage is packed in
Clip - the thing used to close a bag of chips or what is used to hold and/or feed rounds in some firearms
Magazine - what cartridges are put into for many semi-auto firearms
Victim - what we try not to become by using situational awareness and other self-defense techniques.

15 Likes

“Custom” is another, along with “save”. I’m not happy with the “custom” features on electric guitars, so I came up with my own design. There’s no “saving” $$, as much as not having to spend more for an item.

3 Likes

But I thought it was a cheap book you could buy that would try to convince you that they are right and you are wrong…

2 Likes

May I suggest two more?
Common Sense
Tactical

9 Likes

Assault Rifle - Is there such a thing? A rifle could be full-auto, but still just a rifle. I suppose until it’s actually used to assault someone.

4 Likes

The term was coined by the Germans, the StG44, Sturmgewehr, loosely translated as assault rifle.

7 Likes

Most abused? 2A!

5 Likes

Patriot.
I have started blocking the spam emails calling me a patriot, as it seems most of them want to “give” me a “tactical” thingamabob absolutely free as long as I hurry before all the other patriots get theirs, and pay shipping…and sometimes, insurance.
I go check Amazon, find the same Chinese pieceacrap tactical thingamabob, for less money. I have the feeling Patriot means sucker to these spam heads.
Edit to add “gun violence.” Mine. Just.Sit. There…and breed.

4 Likes

I stopped in the local Chevy dealer and told them I’d take the truck out front and they could deposit the $15k I was saving into my bank account. They weren’t amused.

2 Likes

Yeah, interesting history there. The “Sturmgewehr” literally means “Storm Gun,” but “Assault Rifle” is a fair translation. Similar to how we take the German work for lightening, “Blitz,” and use it to mean a rapid assault. Borrowing from the Germans, an “Assault Rifle” would be a rifle intended for assault tactics. This is notably different from the crime of “assault” that most people think of. So even when used correctly, the term “Assault Rifle” can be misleading.

Also, there is no one definition that I know of. Everyone wants to define an “assault rifle” by the way it looks or by specific features, but the literal military rifles meant for infantry conducting an assault vary widely. It certainly has nothing to do with being “scary looking.”

History and entymology aside, I agree that the way most people use the term is wrong. Even worse is “assault weapon,” which would mean anything I use to hit someone else.

3 Likes

It’s not about translation, but more about Hitler’s propaganda.
During the WWII, Hugo Schmeisser made a prototype of assault rifle MP43, which started to be used by German soldiers in 1944 as MP44.
It was eventually renamed to StG 44 (Sturmgewehr44).
Beside the name - idea was to have a good assault weapon.

1 Like

Admittedly, if I warned my adversaries on the street that I was carrying a Blitzlicht, they might hesitate more than if I simply told them I had a flashlight.

7 Likes

In a previous topic I thought “LGS” meant Local Gas Station. :blush:

6 Likes

For this thread’s purpose LGS means Leichter Gepanzerter Spähwagen :kissing:

4 Likes

@Mike164 @Dave17 >>> BLACK FRIDAY >>> BOOK OF Acronyms<<

6 Likes

@Jerzees >>> like so >>> APC >> Gepanzerter Personalt
>>> that might be good to know on a Autobahn.

3 Likes

Damn, you need to warn me, Now R is looking at me because I can’t stop laughing! :index_pointing_at_the_viewer: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Unlike assault weapon, assault rifle has been defined in military times for a long time. Assault weapons are any scary black guns that you can add random accessories that allegedly make the scarier.

6 Likes

5 Likes