Weapon or Firearm

I see a lot of people in the firearm community refer to guns as weapons and to me that is as bad as calling an AR15 an assault rifle. I think we should be saying firearms or rifles or pistols. Weapon make it sound like they are only meant for killing. Any thoughts?

10 Likes

We have had this discussion before on other threads. The answer is, it depends. Some are current/former LE/military and/or some are just accustomed to using those terms. I, as an active member of rights groups, have learned to use terms that are less likely to “trigger” those that are anti-rights and try to state handgun, firearm, etc. In this forum, as we are likely all firearm owners, or are seeking to be one, one is more likely to write like one is speaking to another firearm owner, so the only “trigger” words we have relate to actual triggers. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

They all sound the same to me. They can all be used for criminal violence or saving lives violence. I was taught not to use the word gun around LEOs because it is a trigger word that there is a perpetrator or someone with a gun.

3 Likes

Don’t let those field artillery folks hear you calling firearms “guns.” :laughing:

I guess it’s all how you use it. A weapon could be used for attack or for self-defense. A knife can be a tool for opening boxes, preparing food, or it could be a weapon. A baseball bat could be sports equipment, or it could be a weapon.

A firearm is going to be a weapon in most cases. It could be a prop, unless someone on the set allowed live ammo to mix in with the blanks. It could also be a wrench, if you’re MacGuyver.

8 Likes

If I’m sitting in a chair eating breakfast the chair is a piece of furniture. If I have to pick it up to wack a home invader over the head it becomes a defensive weapon just like a pocket knife or baseball bat would if I needed to use them to defend myself.

I think most of us here own at least one firearm because of its suitability for use as a defensive weapon, despite the fact that most of us will only ever use them for recreational purposes like target shooting, competition or hunting. Though I agree with @Ouade5 that the word may trigger some hoplophobes so we may want to use other terms in mixed company. Though I’m not sure the other options won’t trigger some people just as much. The dictionary is rapidly running out of “safe” words.

7 Likes

10 Likes

I think it is generally correct to refer to a firearm as a weapon. Perhaps it varies by context. But I wouldn’t categorically say it’s wrong or anything. 'cause, for the most part, they are weapons.

I do not think it is ever correct to refer to a semi automatic firearm as an assault rifle. Assault rifles are a thing, but they are select fire (machine guns per the feds), not semi auto. AR15’s are semi auto.

6 Likes

Weapon does sound aggressive to me. Gun seems to be a real broad term, Firearm feels the most comfortable in formal discussions. When I’m with my kids or friends, it’s guns.

5 Likes

I agree that anything that you use to defend yourself or loved ones is a weapon. Gun is a scary word to some. My firearm is just that a firearm unless it’s on my body than I feel it’s my sidearm.

7 Likes

Guess it really comes down to context!
“Lawyers, firearms and money”
“Jamie’s got a weapon”
“Hey Joe where you going with that assault rifle in your hand”

Hence the reason we have a broad vocabulary, I’ll never use the word gun during a traffic stop…nor firearm or weapon…I have a “license” to carry.

10 Likes

I just checked with a friend at my local PD. The are still using “gun” as the trigger word in training. However, in CC and tactical classes at my range we have switched to “threat” because a gun is not always a threat.

9 Likes

I didn’t even think about shooting sports. I guess it’s kind of weird to refer to a firearm as a “weapon” in that context. I’m trying to think of the terms I hear most often, and it seems like most people refer to the specific type of firearm being used (i.e. rifle, shotgun, pistol, musket). I’m not as well travelled as some of you, so perhaps this varies by region.

On the other hand, I used to be a fencer, and while sport swords are also generally referred to by their specific type (i.e. foil, sabre, epee), it’s not unusual to hear them referred to as “weapons,” even though you can’t do much more than bruise someone with them.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever said or heard “let’s take our weapons out to the range”.

When trying to coax my dead beat shooting buddies off their couches I would usually say something like “wanna grab your pistols (or rifles) and head out to the pit?” Or I might say let’s grab our .22s if I was in a plinking mood.

Maybe since the sport of fencing simulates combat or dueling it lends itself more to referring to the weapons the current tools are simulating? Maybe if I got to do force on force firearms sessions on a regular basis I might say “time to grab the weapons and head to the shoot house”??

4 Likes

I only own guns.
If someone asks, specifically, they’re handguns and rifles.

The only time I would use the term “weapon” is as a single letter “W,” an abbreviation on my permit to carry.

3 Likes

Ha ha, that’s a good point. In fencing, they’re actually trying to hit one another. I’ve never seen a rifle tournament where the competitors are shooting at one another. Maybe paintball?

6 Likes

Did the paintball thing when I was young. It was fun but occasionally painful. Now they have simunitions and you can use your real firearms but I haven’t gotten to try that yet. Suspect it would be fun but also nerve raking and a little painful:)

5 Likes

I like term “firearm”, it sounds softer than “weapon”. These are two different terms but a lot of people don’t see difference.

Being Illinoisan I should use “firearm” term, because I have valid “Firearm Owner’s Identification Card”.
However my Florida Permit was issued for “Concealed Weapon or Firearm” … so can use both terms there. :wink:

As long as those terms are used to describe proper things… both are OK.

5 Likes

I don’t have a Florida permit but based on your post it sounds like the FL permit allows you to conceal weapons other than firearms as well as firearms (which also happen to be capable of being used as weapons:) ??

4 Likes

Mine says:

Utah
Department of Public Safety
Concealed Firearm Permit

Means I better carry my knife, bat or for that matter, my hands in plain sight?

3 Likes

AZ is now a constitutional carry state so I can open or conceal carry pretty much whatever I want.

But my permit (which I keep for reciprocity purposes plus a few other perks) says “Concealed Weapons) so guess I’m covered if I decide to slip that M1 Abrams in my pocket;)

4 Likes