What to call them, and why

I call them my guns, because that is what they are.

Not at all. If it scares people then why do they call it “Gun” control. I have never heard of “Firearm Conrol” or “Weapon Control”. I am just using what is obviously acceptable and politically correct terminology. I don’t want to melt any snowflakes.

8 Likes

Reason number 1,346 I quit the NRA.

5 Likes

I generally use gun, firearm, pistol, handgun, rifle, ar15.

I’m not a fan of weapon, assault rifle, and I feel like “modern sporting rifle” is an attempt to placate to the gun control audience. :thinking:

8 Likes

Firearm, tool. Our glocks? I have humorous names for many items…the glocks are dill and doe…kimber is kimmy, sig is smoke or sometimes smokey, coffee cup is joe, coffee machine …leaky, vaccuum is mahoover, one can mahover it around…etc!!!

I also never heard the term “firearm control” weapon control, tool control…or how about signs that say “no tools allowed”

I do like the terms “scatter” “wheel” “pipe”…I guess I am old school…

5 Likes

I try to avoid the word gun, less so amongst other firearm owners. I use the word firearm as much as possible due to the negative connotations of the word gun - especially so around those I know are anti-rights. As another stated, we have “gun control” laws, not “firearm control” laws. I also also typically avoid the word weapon, for similar reasons as the word gun. I will use the words arms, or specify the tool being referenced.

As we are not committing a violent crime when employing various methods and tools in our self-defense - we only neutralize the threat - I try to avoid “trigger” words (pun intended) that might make it appear that we have violent tendencies or seek to harm others - we absolutely do not. We seek only to defend ourselves or others against an illegal use of force that we believe is or would cause great bodily harm or death.

We have the right to keep and bear arms, not firearms. I am quite sure the privateers that were attacking British shipping during our revolution were not using sling shots. Some arms might be more difficult to legally acquire, but we can still legally acquire quite an assortment of arms - dependent upon in which state you reside.

7 Likes

A fellow enthusiast and I talk tools. Talk about nut and bolt deliveries. And such.

In reality pistol, rifle, and shotgun are used by myself with class attendees. Most people will get the standard answer while traveling.

Nosey lady on airport shuttle:
“What’s in the case?”
Me: “motorcycle doors and Pixy dust.”
“You have guns in there, I need to know.”
Me: “you have sex toys in your bag and I need to know how long your weapon is.”

Me: "none of my business, right?

She quit so I assume people don’t like the word weapon, motorcycle doors, or Pixy dust.
This is why I don’t discuss with others in passing. Happy 4th everyone.

Craig

11 Likes

Sidearm. Holdover from Uncle Sam’s Army.

5 Likes

He’s got a NUG!

That cracked me up the first time I saw that episode.

5 Likes

I do agree

3 Likes

Welcome to the family Arnold and god bless you.

2 Likes

Why is it that, when ordinary people own an AR-style firearm it’s an “assault rifle”. But when the police have them, they’re “service rifles”?

5 Likes

Firearm.

But gun is a common known word and it will be used .

3 Likes

As a brainwashed retired Soldier, weapon is my catch all. Then I might call it a rifle, pistol or sidearm.

I know a lot of people dont like the weapon title. In my mind, the rifle/pistol/shotgun is a weapon. A deadly weapon that has one purpose outside of recreation.

Why do we shy away from that? It is what it is. It is a tool as well. I really think that the people on a jury will have their minds made up about guns (for good or ill) regardless of how we try to characterize it. It is what you did with it.

I think that if you can properly defend why you did what you did with your weapon, the exact name should not be such a threat to any of us.

7 Likes

Hi Virgil. Speaking only for myself, it will likely spend 99.9999999% of its time as a recreation firearm and hopefully never as a weapon, so I term it accordingly.

6 Likes

I call mine a blaster when I am talking to friends or 2A people in less I’m referring to a certain blaster then I call it its make and model

2 Likes

Betty Lou
Brown Bess
Ole Sharpie
Linda

whatever name you want to give them…

2 Likes

I’ve been known to refer to them as my fightin’ tools, the Roscoe and the Gat when the mood strikes me, but usually Smith and Colt suffices

2 Likes

Have a party, plenty of friends. Smith, Wesson, Colt, Ruger, Remington, Winchester, Taurus, Browning… plenty of friends.

4 Likes

There is quite a precedence when it comes to naming your fighting tools.
Davy Crockett had Betsy(or was it Daniel Boone? I get guys in raccoon skin caps mixed up!)
King Arthur had Excalibur
Frodo Baggins had Sting
Sharps shooting Buffalo hunters had Old Reliables
Then there’s Pepette and Alice(see https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/couple-discovers-cache-french-resistance-guns-ammo/ )

4 Likes

I cringe when I hear “weapon.” Especially in today’s day and age, the term “weapon” has way too many negative connotations. I prefer to use firearms, even in my writing. A gun can also have negative connotations and feelings. To me, a firearm can be a weapon, but then again, so can a knife, hammer, screwdriver, frying pan, etc. A weapon to me is more a description of how its used than an identifier as to what one is talking about. Go to a protest and ask if they brought their weapon. Chances are if they said yes, it would be an object like a brick, frozen water bottle, etc. not a gun or firearm, even though those are definitely present.

6 Likes