The Warning about a Coronavirus Pandemic

I’m cool with the hand to hand or hand to surface contact point of contraction. Not so much on the mask thing. It is not airborne like the measles. I think if you have it and you pull open your shirt and sneeze down inside your shirt you’re helping to protect those around you. Also if you have, if YOU wear a face mask to prevent aspirating on someone else that is good.

3 Likes

The death count in China is over 8k.

2 Likes

The worst case scenario would be if the virus continues to mutate and become more virulent.

There is word now of postponing the Olympics in Japan, that would be a huge loss of revenue.

2 Likes

The death rate will remain low in the US because we have great medical facilities, but, I spoke to an ICU nurse yesterday. They are in a large hospital here in Austin where SXSW was just cancelled, costing the city $350m in revenue, she said at their large hospital they have about 60 ICU beds between 3 different departments. At any one time they are always about 2/3 occupied.

That leaves 20 ICU beds. There are 4 large hospitals in the Austin area. Doing the numbers that 80 available ICU beds are available.

How many people out of over a million in population will require Intensive Care, my guess is way more than 80?

3 Likes

I saw a recipe for hand sanitizer on Fox News and I tried it out. I used 90% Rubbing Alcohol and a thicker body lotion. 1/3 Alcohol and 2/3 Lotion, adjust as needed. It works well and doesn’t dry out your hands. There seems to be a shortage of sanitizer. :roll_eyes:
Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy.

3 Likes

I have heard of people finding (I have not seen it myself) an online recipe that includes “cooking” the mixture. Do NOT use any such recipe, “COOKING” the mixture can be very dangerous if you are not very careful and can be a good way to start a nasty fire.

4 Likes

Yup, all kinds of misinformation out there, that is a particularly dumb one. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Here is a link directly to the cdc for official information.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/guidance-business-response.html

2 Likes

I don’t want to down play the Corona Virus. These new things do need to be researched and medicines or vaccines developed. This reminds me, couple of years ago everyone freaked out over a gasoline shortage. All gas stations were running out of gas, stores were raising their prices drastically, I remember waiting in line for 45 minutes, blocking an intersection trying to get my gas. A few weeks later, we all found out there was no significant shortage. The lack of gasoline was because the media over stated the problem and people panicked. Everyone getting gas at the same time caused the problem.

Like I said, Carina Virus shouldn’t just be a joke (though there are some funny ones out there :joy:), but I have yet to see why this should cause such an uproar other than the media is desperate for continuous viewership.

6 Likes

9 Likes

Stole this from a friends FB page.

6 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Laughing is good for your immune system. You, sir/madam/saurian just did your part in the war against the virus.

Live Long and Prosper.

3 Likes

Yup - the flu has worse numbers than the coronavirus. I agree that people getting sick isn’t funny, but the name of the virus makes it sooo easy for memes and jokes! :confused: :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I keep hearing about this from all angles. Some folks are in full on panic, others are in full on slumber mode. Like most things the reality is somewhere in the middle.

We won’t see death tolls in the millions, but considering that there aren’t a lot of ICU beds in hospitals it won’t actually take much to fill them up. That is bad not only for victims of COVID-19 but also regular ICU patients. This is what is happening in Italy right now.

I think as long as people take reasonable precautions (as laid out by the CDC), and in places where there is confirmed (or even suspected) outbreaks kick that up a notch (stay home from school or work for a week) we should be OK. We will probably see smaller flareups like in New Rochelle, NY today or Seattle last week, but the key is to keep the flareup small. At risk people should already be taking more extreme precautions.

5 Likes

Did Corona Beer stock ever rebound from the mistaken identity? OMG. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Surface to body transmissions are low, vs sneeze, cough, handshake etc to person are higher.

Help me with my list of surface risks, not in any order.

1. Restaurant Menu

2. Door knobs/handles

3. Bathroom potty handles, facet handle, exit door handle/knob

4. Chair Back when pulling chair from restaurant table (I love eating out)

5. Gas pump / gas pump buttons ATM/Grade Selection

6. Bible at church / Bread-Wine at church

7. Grocery Cart Handle

8. Food tray at restaurant, get order to go in bag

9. If you forgot to clean your hands somewhere prior, Your steering wheel/cell phone

10. Microwave/Fridge door/buttons at work

11. Printer/Printer buttons at work

12. Your phone at work, someone else could have grabbed and used it.

13. This is a hard one to control, your kids! Especially if they are in day care or public schools. (This is #13 for a reason)

14. Merchant credit card swipe machine, putting in your pin.

15. Fridge/Freezer doors at grocery store

16. To many things to list but everything in your hotel room at the expo. Bring wipes, don’t forget the TV remote.

4 Likes

What is the status on the expo? Still a go?

2 Likes

For anyone that missed it, Joe Rogan talks with a science guy about coronavirus and what to expect

Michael Osterholm is an internationally recognized expert in infectious disease epidemiology. He is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. Look for his book “Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Deadly Germs” for more info.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Yikes, Bummer :frowning:

2 Likes