Serial numbers on ammo and ammo registry?!

I agree with this bill. I don’t live there either, but if there is no intent to do any criminal activity, why sweat it? You still get to have the ammo. It is simply tracked now, which it should have been a very long time ago.

I live in the People’s Republic of Illinois. Not for long though. Crap like this and HB 3653 which will very few willing to put on the uniform of police officer. Second Amendment alive and well in Indiana will be home asap

4 Likes

Not sure if serious

Are you aware that unless someone reloads, they generally go to a range and dump their spent brass in a bucket? As has already been pointed out, what is to stop someone with intent to murder from grabbing a casing from the bucket and then dropping said casing at the crime scene?

2 Likes

If they went to a range to dump their spent brass, how is the spent brass still at the scene? Not one of those mass murders took the time to go back, pick up their brass and take it to a range. Not one.

@Brian_K

Boy, did that explanation go right over your head! :-). Let me try again.

I grab my gun and a box of ammo and go to the range to shoot.
While shooting my semi-automatic handgun at the range, it expels the expended brass all over my lane.
When I am done shooting, I sweep up the brass and dump it in the container provided (usually a bucket).
I leave.
Bad guy comes in.
Bad guy grabs one of my spent brass casing out of the bucket.
The next day, the bad guy shoots someone.
Bad guy drops my brass he got from the range at the crime scene.
Police arrive, find spent brass with my serial number on them.

3 Likes

No it didn’t go over my head. Read what you tried to say which may not have come out as you hoped it would. Again, if you don’t have nothing to worry about, if you have nothing to hide, if you have no criminal intent, why sweat it. You take my spent brass from the range, dump it adt a sight where you committed mass murder and they link it to me. They have to prove I was there. Just because my tracking info is there doesn’t mean that I was. Will I go through a waste of time, even to the point of arrest? Maybe and maybe not.

1 Like

How would they physically serialize the brass? Think of the extra cost per round to serialize the ammo. Adding extra steps would require all ammo producers to revamp all ammo production lines.

Add that to the current ammo shortage, and there will be less ammo available.

1 Like

I guess you really don’t need the USCCA coverage then. Good luck with all of that. One in every crowd I guess. Font CYA.

2 Likes

I agree Fred G. It would be costly for certain. How you ask? I haven’t a clue.

Based on the possible scenario posed, this would give me more reason to need them wouldn’t you think?

True, that . . .

2 Likes

And that is why I am against it. Nobody knows what it would cost, or how it would effect production, even if it can practically be done. So, how is this a good law?

Just like micro stamping firing pins like CA wants. The technology does not exist, so why make laws that are unclear, that will affect law abiding citizens a lot more than it will affect criminals?

1 Like

Once again, I agree. No matter what’s done, the criminal element will always be 3 steps ahead, but something must be done. Would you agree? If we don’t at least try something, we don’t know what would, or would not work. Here in cali, we have to wait 10 days before we pick up our legally purchased guns. If we attempt to pick up early and the dealer goes through the processes and determines we are early, we are charged an additional fee. And I mean 10 days based on the time stamped on our receipt. I know. I was 2 hours early and had to pay, then wait an additional 5 days, but the criminal element still gets around that out here. There are no failsafe remedies, but we have to do something. I agree. Jumping through hoops isn’t the answer either.

I worked in aerospace for decades, where most parts get serialized…I suppose you’d need a vendor code, a date code, then a unique s/n…generally on the parts we made, automatic vibro peen, very small font, this info fills a space 1"x2" minimum. I guess they’ll have to write…really freaking small :rofl:…22lr :roll_eyes:
edit…I forgot the actual part number…but we generally have mfr and cal on the base of the case, but thinking definitely need a date code as we’d…uh, they’d, run out of alpha numeric s/n’s pretty darn quick.

1 Like

Multiple people in power have stated that firearms are only for important people, like the filthy rich (Bloomberg) or elected officials (Feinstein). If they can’t outright ban firearms, they’ll just make them so expensive and hard to get that us plebes won’t be able to get them.

1 Like

They do stuff like this because they are afraid to take the illegal guns away from the gangs who don’t care what the law is.

4 Likes

It’s easier to punish law-abiding citizens than it is to confront the lawless.
If they can’t stop the criminals, they’ll come after us.

3 Likes

unfortunately I live here in IL and I have a CCW but it’s illegal to arry in most places and don’t even try to carry in Chiraq they’ll arrest you. The whole state is democrat controlled luckily I live downstate in a county with a Constitutional Sheriff who will protect my gun rights and has reached out to me after a blistering email I sent after Buyding was fraudulently elected

A quick search said on average 8 BILLION rounds of ammo are sold each year (that number was likely shattered in 2020). There physically isn’t enough room on a cartridge to put a serial number that long

1 Like

Serial numbers 1 through 10. Then start over. :smirk:

2 Likes