Is this right?

I live in Illinois, don’t ask. But went in today to purchase a new gun. After it was all done, the Law says Illinoians have to state what the gun is being used for, and state the purpose for the purchase of the gun. Anyone want to check in on this, law wise. Right wrong. Personally I don’t think for a law bidding citizen going through the proper process should have to tell anyone anything. That’s my opinion.

11 Likes

As you said - Illinois.
The same BS rule exists in NY as well.
Target shooting & competition are perfectly valid reasons.

6 Likes

My first instinct, was I agree. Several Q’s on those forms, that’s also one I’ve asked myself “Why do they need to know this”. Kinda like my privacy. Guessing a legislator or official committee came up the Q’s. Wish I could find their rationales. Survey, statistics, IDK. I like explanations; I learn from them.

3 Likes

This is the same questions when you apply for passport. Which country do you plan to visit.

This is just a tricky question to eliminate idiots who don’t know why they want a firearm.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Joshua7

2 Likes

Tell them it’s to protect us from an Alien invasion after seeing all of those credible UFO sightings.

10 Likes

Just tell them this: “C’mon man! It is not a nuke or a f-15.” :grinning:

10 Likes

@Joshua7 >> may be things are going backwards. When I first got my permit
It was restricted to target only, then my state did away with it. ( that was 52 yrs. ago ).
:us::us::us:

4 Likes

Idiotic requirement. Is a person with criminal intent going to write they are buying it so they can rob the corner liquor store? If you write you are buying it for hunting but then end up having to use it to shoot a home invader are you going to get in trouble for not having stated that on your form?

I would just write “all legal purposes” if I thought I could get away with it.

6 Likes

@Shamrock >>> unfortunately if you don’t play by the states rules you’re just not gonna get your permit. Cry now or cry latter.

5 Likes

This sounded like a requirement for simply purchasing a firearm. Not for getting a license. I can understand a few more hoops for a license. Though the questions are silly for a license as well. People are just going to give whatever answer they need to. I don’t remember any questions like that for my AZ license though I got it a long time ago and the renewal process just requires sending in the renewal form and a check

3 Likes

@Shamrock >> Sorry, I went to guns first ask questions later.I got 5 firearms this year to balance my budget with the stimulus checks. I didn’t see any usage questions on any of the paperwork when I bought the firearms.

6 Likes

Same here. Plus I bought my boys and wife some. 2 rifles and 3 handguns. Stipules package designed to defend.

2 Likes

Yup. Part of the dealers license fiasco. You have to state the purpose for the firearm. And be serious. The FFL is required to put what you say is the purpose. Make the purpose sound subdued. Don’t be a jerk about it. My last guns “purpose” is target shooting.

2 Likes

@45IPAC >>> is that a requirement in your state. :question:like I said I got hand guns in of beginning of the year, there were no questions about intended use.

2 Likes

Are you sure it was on the government questionnaire? IIRC, it was on my FFL dealer liability form. I could be wrong.

3 Likes

It’s been awhile since I applied for a Passport. However, I don’t remember them asking what countries I was planning on visiting when I filled out my renewal a few years ago.

4 Likes

Nor your reason for obtaining it, and what it will be used for. I would assume a firearm is being purchased, and used, for legally and safely discharging cartridges that are used in said firearms. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

It is part of the background check application and every seller I’ve run across has suggested “target shooting” :innocent:

1 Like

You just put any normal reason, so they know you know what the “firearm” word means.

3 Likes