Serial numbers on ammo and ammo registry?!

I don’t live in Illinois, but those who do have a special act of stupidity they are trying to pass in a bill there -

Provides that beginning January 1, 2022, all handgun ammunition that is manufactured, imported into the State for sale or personal use, kept for sale, offered or exposed for sale, sold, given, lent, or possessed shall be serialized. Provides that beginning January 1, 2022, any person who manufactures, causes to be manufactured, imports into the State for sale or personal use, keeps for sale, offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any handgun ammunition that is not serialized is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Provides that beginning January 1, 2022, any person who possesses in any public place any handgun ammunition that is not serialized is guilty of a Class C misdemeanor. Provides exceptions. Provides that beginning January 1, 2022, the Illinois State Police shall maintain a centralized registry of all reports of handgun ammunition transactions…

Link to Illinois HB3088

6 Likes

Wow… that is just plain stupid. Seems these bills are getting more and more ridiculous by the day! Communism is here and pushing for a full on take over. Fight that bs bill and let everyone you know about it. Fight against it. Soon the next bill is for all people to be in a bubble and bounce from home to work and never touch anyone or anything? Screw that.

9 Likes

Illinois residents are used to crossing the state line to buy cigarettes & fireworks. Now you can add ammunition to that list. I’m going to setup a “Smoke & Boom” right on the state line.

9 Likes

Guess no more ammo for them. Completely unconstitutional.

2 Likes

To be fair, the constitution guarantees the right to “bare arms” [sic], not “loaded and pimped out arms.” :crazy_face:

I already filled out my witness slip opposing this garbage. It’s beyond unconstitutional, since the technology doesn’t exist to do this. California tried the same thing. It was shot down, no pun intended.

9 Likes

So my “guns”, if they are Arnie-sized would not be legal? However, I do like to remind the antis that the 2A protects arms, not firearms, and we are still “allowed” to purchase and possess automatic weapons, such as an M-16, and all sorts of actual military hardware and arms. Yet they wring they hands and cry about someone merely possessing an AR-15. Ignorance is supposed to be bliss, but they don’t appear happy.

4 Likes

Outrage culture. Bullies lurk on the internet, perpetually pissed, waiting for a victim to unleash their ire upon. Then they get off when someone is destroyed. It’s no different than the “knock out” game from a few years ago. America empowers these sick people when we should shun them.

5 Likes

Not shot down yet. New models introduced for sale in CA must have microstamping. As a result the latest Glocks, Sigs, S&Ws etc cannot be sold here in California. We also need special ID and pay a registration fee to buy any ammunition, as if there is any ammunition for sale

5 Likes

This won’t create a Black Market at all…

3 Likes

Where are they going to put the serial number on the brass? Just from a practical standpoint, how much more is that going to cost per round? I suspect ammo companies will stop selling ammo there, just due to cost.

If I had to initial each round I reload it would be a pain. And I don’t reload in a year what some of those machines can load in a few hours.

This is just gun control by a different name.

3 Likes

Even putting the technology challenges (that’s putting it mildly) aside, imagine the logistics. Let’s say I have 1000 rounds of ammo. That’s 1000 serial numbers that have to be registered with the state. Then anytime I shoot and replenish those rounds I have to register the new ones. Multiply that by every person in the state with a gun. It’s just ridiculous.

5 Likes

The major drawback I’ve read in the past is someone can pick up your serialized brass at the range, scatter it at a crime scene, and you are arrested without ever being there. :-1:

14 Likes

back door infringement on our rights, is what it’s all about!.

5 Likes

HB3088 is a ammo ban. With the current demand for ammo which manufacture is going to slow down their ammo production to load ammo for IL? The cost and limited supply would just wipe out the supply of ammo in the state. My Witness slip is filed.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize the California Supreme Court had ruled on it. My bad.

1 Like

It should be headed towards SCOTUS.

Interesting 451 PAC.I just discovered the witness slips and signed two of them, which a local state 2A support organization emailed to me.

At first, I was reluctant, but it was fairly easy to learn. Hoping more will look into that, as well as in other states. Did you also notice when you filled it out, how much 2A supporters outnumbered, the anti 2A? Hoping the witness slips make a difference; It seemed legitimate as it appeared to be directly on the state legislators’ website.

Best to you.

2 Likes

A regular occurrence; every time I go to the range (BLM land), I do a little housecleaning. Today, I cleaned up about 10 lbs of discarded brass.

1 Like

Do you use Facebook. There’s a couple of pages that post links to any pertinent 2A related witness slips.

2 Likes