Seeking advice- Daughter's pistol

I’m glad that she found something she will enjoy shooting and shoot well. but…i’d call foul on the backstrap concern. If one cannot fire a gun safely while holding it properly (seriously, how can you fire any handgun without your hand firmly against the backstrap???), perhaps they should use pepper spray or a taser, just in case they miss their target…

3 Likes

Id recommend handling one or letting a person not too experienced with firearms handle one and attempt to dry fire it…

2 Likes

There is hardly a day goes past at our range where someone doesn’t call the RSO because their 1911 (or similar w/ a backstrap safety) won’t fire. 999 out of 1,000 times it is because they are not depressing the safety. For some “special people” it happens over and over.

3 Likes

also on the grip safety… the style with the bump lower down helps prevent that…

although some people can still manage to not depress the grip safety… not sure how they do it…

but they do…

old style…

newer bump style…

2 Likes

Simple answer: get thee and she to the nearest reputable gun store with an attached range. Ask the knowledgeable salesfolks there for 5 recommendations. Have her try each of the five for which one feels the best in her hands, and that she can rack and shoot easily. There’s your choice.

1 Like

Beware the salesperson saying they know what is best.

3 Likes

Thats what I bought my daughter. She’s a tiny woman so I got her S&W Shield EZ in .380, I also bought her a .22 to plink with. Good Call on the membership @Bruno . I pay for my daughters membership and one for her roommate.

3 Likes

Seems like most of the firearms mentioned here are pretty common choices and probably available for rent at most ranges. My suggestion would be the first take her to the range that has a rental inventory and let her shoot those choices. She then can determine which one she feels fits her and she can operate well.

6 Likes

This. If you are not holding a handgun properly then you need training badly. I’ve also seen folks who could make darn near any semi auto fail because they could not remember to lock their wrist to give the pistol something to recoil against.

2 Likes

Hey,this is good advice. And something i need to learn and store it to “muscle memory” so it’s just a natural form, thanks for your response Peace

The new S&W Equalizer would also be a good option. Better magazine options than the EZ, but still has the easy to rack slide. 10, 13, and 15 round options.

2 Likes

Didn’t read all 71 responses so apologies if this has already been suggested. My son has aeCCW and his new wife just got hers. He has an assortment of 9mm and .40 cals that he tried her out on. Shooting was not a problem; racking it was. On advice of a buddy she tried and liked the Glock 380 and can effortlessly rack it.

4 Likes

I just got back from SHOT Show 2023 and I was impressed with the reintroduction/new Beretta Cheetah. Basically a S&W EZ with a metal frame to help tame the recoil.

7 Likes

Color me jealous!

4 Likes