Seeking advice- Daughter's pistol

Hi Folks, my adult single daughter is buying a home and I’m seeking advice on a easy to rack reliable pistol that i can add a light to. Haven’t been doing research because I thought i had more time.
Currently I have a 6 round revolver in her room but prefer one with many rounds for her house, then a smaller EDC…she doesn’t know it but I’m going to get her a membership too.
The reality is upon her so i believe she will get on board now. I’m disabled and pretty much have home defense covered bc I’m here all the time.
I don’t have a lot of money but I will sell off anything I have to accumulate enough $$ to set her up and know I’ve done my best. We’re wiring the house with a home alarm system and she has 2 too friendly siberian huskys who will only bark at stray dogs lol every human outside to them is seen as a ups driver bringing treats so that’s where we’re at.
Ty for your time

4 Likes

My Step-Daughter bought the Taurus G3c for her first pistol and loves it.
The only problem we had was you need a very compact light as the rail is short.
It ran flawlessly right out of the box and has 1 extra 12rnd. mag and a mag loader is recommended until the mags get broken in.
I forgot to add that it has a loaded chamber indicator and an external safety.
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=mag+loader+taurus+G3c
https://www.taurususa.com/pistols/taurus-g3c

5 Likes

For easy to rack, you could go with the S&W Shield EZs.

My wife has the .380 and has no problem racking the slide on it. They also make the EZ in 9mm (Which I’m considering for a second, well third, pistol).

The mags, at least on the .380 have little tabs that can help with loading them which my wife likes as well. Not sure if the 9mm mags are the same but don’t see why they wouldn’t be.

Speaking o mags though, from my understanding they both only have 8rnd mags and I don’t think they’re any larger on the market.

5 Likes

If it where my daughter I would take her to the gun store and let her pick out something she wants to shoot.

11 Likes

I would suggest her having a qualified instructor with too. Nothing against your capabilities, but having a different perspective from a professional standpoint will help a lot. I would also suggest going to a range that rents out different firearms. :+1:t3: There are too many variables to just note a single type of firearm. Good luck!

9 Likes

Reality is hitting almost a million people a month, find what she likes that’s readily available and purchase as much ammo as you can, for practice and defense!
I’m sure there will be a wait period, during that time shop for ammo and accessories including some basic first aid and kit. A hand held light is not a bad idea if a rail equipped handgun is not available!
Nurture and education will go a lot further than cash. Get to know the house! One of the reasons I have not moved, I know every creek, drip and howl.

5 Likes

That’s cool Bruno. Happy for her. So far I’ve seen good ideas from all parties above. Looking at her safety situation from different perspectives, her having the power and choice. eg Self Defense classes, security measures for her home, car, cameras, etc. Good luck.

If you are going to pay for her USCCA memberships, or if she joins on her own, be sure to first email or call USCCA so that they include you in the rewards. Could still be a $200 store credit to you. If you get the reward, I suggest you spend it all at the same time, use it up on the same shopping cart, or you risk losing any balance.

I signed up two loved-ones myself.

4 Likes

A trip to a LGS to try and rack the slide of in stock pistols would help.

5 Likes

“Easy to track” is very subjective. As @BeanCounter mentioned - try before buy.

If you are looking for not expensive and reliable pistol I would recommend Taurus G3 (Full or Compact) - already suggested by @BRUCE26 .

4 Likes

Check out the Beretta APX. My wife has some difficulty with the Shield EZ, but has no problems with the APX. The slide serrations make a big difference. The Walther PDP F series also looks promising, but she hasn’t tried it.

6 Likes

They do have them. Really helps these old hands. Oh, they are also making the EZ in .45 ACP, in case you were not aware.

1 Like

Often “easy to rack” is more about technique than the firearm. Any competent instructor can help her find a solution. Before you shell out money for a new firearm see if you local range(s) have an identical model she can rent and assess.

2 Likes

This is the one I recommend most for the uninitiated.

M&P Shield Plus, 9mm.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-shield-plus?sku=13534

1 Like

I think @Bruno should specify maximum amount of $$$ to spend and preferred caliber to be used, before we start another “best pistol on the market” thread.

2 Likes

I can also recommend the S&W EZ. My wife has it in 9mm and it has been reliable and easy to rack and shoot. She’s also a lefty and the fact that the mag release could be switched was another selling point for her.

4 Likes

As others have said the S&W EZ will be the easiest to rack. But it has a limited capacity. Unless your daughter has hand issues she can likely handle racking the slide on a wide variety of pistols using proper technique with a little practice.

Would definitely recommend having her try before buying if possible to make sure she can reach all the controls and get a reasonably comfortable grip.

Taurus seems to have worked out the reliability kinks they had a decade or two ago and does provide a lot of value for the money. But other brands might suit your daughter as well or better.

2 Likes

I would go back to the start and ask, “What does your adult daughter want?”

It is generous and an appropriate housewarming gift to cover the hardware expense. And it’s always a “gun guy” obligation to offer suggestions or input (to anybody :partying_face:). But the setup kind of sounds like a plan to choose, acquire, and present a surprise gift of a first defensive tool. I don’t think that would be a great idea.

If the concern is insufficient experience for her to make an informed choice, then getting the gun is probably the wrong place to start. A decent one day introductory defensive pistol class can give an intelligent and motivated newbie enough context to research a reasonable choice, as long as some of the weird, exotic gimmicks are discouraged. There are plenty of suitable options, and the first choice need not be a perfect answer. But if she is not motivated to become informed, then the gift of a gun may be placing a danger in her new home instead of a protection.

3 Likes

I did not know that . .

1 Like

Oh, I’ll second that George.

I completely forgot about the Walther PDP-F . .

1 Like

How do you know your daughter wants a handgun?

2 Likes