New Shooters: What gun should I buy?

Every instructor has heard the dreaded question: What gun should I buy?

The truth is, no one should tell you which gun you should buy. Instructors (and others) can help you determine which firearm you shoot well and handle safely, but it is ultimately your decision.

What is the best advice you’ve heard when narrowing down the search for your first (or next) firearm?

4 Likes

I believe you should choose a firearm that is comfortable in your hand and you can shoot accurately. This goes for both a conceal carry or home defense gun.

9 Likes

For any new activity in which we wish to engage, there is always going to be something about it that draws us to the activity. My recommendation to anyone looking to purchase a first or next gun is always going to based on answers to a few questions –

• What do you want to do with it?
  • Have you looked at any guns?
  • Are there any guns - or gun types - you think you might like?
  • Have you done any research on your own?

The answers to those questions are going to help me help the other person on their journey.

8 Likes

What is it’s intended use? A home defense Gun may not be concealable, but, a concealable gun can certainly be used for home defense. Is it a hunting gun? Some guns can be a hunting gun, a home defense gun, concealable all at once, with simply different Ammo choice.

4 Likes

You get what you pay for. I personally will only buy Glock or M&P for carry. That’s my own choice from research. You want to get a reputable brand though.

When handling the gun. Make sure you can rack the slide.

Bigger gun = easier to shoot harder to conceal.
Smaller gun = harder to shoot easier to conceal.

If it’s home defense, get the bigger gun. If it’s carry, look at the medium size guns/ smaller guns. I wouldn’t get a pocket pistol. A new shooter will struggle with small.

I think the following guns are the best options for a first carry gun. Glock 43x, g19, Shield +, M&P compact, sig p365 xl.

If your on a tight budget, I think the Shield 1.0 can still be found for around or less than $350. It is widely accepted as one of the most reliable carry guns and has a longer record than most carry guns on the market today.

There are lots of guns on the market, what works for you may not work for me. I would get a reputable manufacturer. Glock is boring, but they are the gold standard. I like M&P because they are widely used among firearms instructors and some police departments. They are usually $100 less than a Glock, and they come with a life time warranty that is really good. That being said, there are lots of quality firearms these days from other manufactures that may be more affordable or have better features.

5 Likes

I have come to the point where I recommend to everyone who asks that they try Walthers. I don’t push them to buy one if they don’t like it, but I recommend they try one. Walther is not a name many new-to-firearm people know, and they’re just really good guns with great ergonomics.

Aside from that, I recommend that people try a variety of guns to see what works for them the best. They’re not buying a gun for me, so as long as it works well for them, it’ll be fine.

4 Likes

It may sound weird, but I got best advice before my first purchase…
“get a Glock, get a Glock”… and of course that’s me… I hate what all others use, so I never considered Glock as my “any type of gun”. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good advice for a new shooter… don’t give any to him / her.

1 Like

I highly recommend starting with the Desert Eagle chambered in .44 Magnum or .50 AE.

3 Likes

Are you serious brother @KillJoy :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Look at everything on the market - go to makers’ websites and make a list of the models that strike your interest - note calibers, construction, barrel lengths, and weights. Next, call gunshops in your area and ask what they have in stock. When you visit them, try to handle as many as possible on your list, but ASK first before you work any actions. If you buy, buy only out-of-the-box new with a full factory warranty - no display models others have handled. I remember going into a shop to buy an FNH, and came out with a Magnum Research Baby Desert Eagle II.

1 Like

P.S. - For a start, look at models from Heckler & Koch, Walther, CZ, S & W, and Glock - some are pricey, but these makers have offered consistent quality. Magnum Research offers their Baby Desert Eagle III in 3 calibers, in all-steel or polymer versions, and in full-size and semi-compact models.

1 Like

My suggestion, local shop has most of the popular carry option on the rental wall. Find out what feels good. Get the 50 round box of ammo. They will let you shoot anything they have on the wall. Only stipulations are ammo from the shop. Try 5 rounds out of each that feels good. Keep narrowing the selection. Best one gets the rest of the ammo. That’s the pistol you should get.

3 Likes

Best advice I can give: don’t go to gun forums to ask this question :wink:

New shooters will end up not buying a gun.

But, two guns or more.

Seriously, just go to a range with rental and try as many as you can then decide which one you like.

10 Likes

Sure, why not. Gotta start somewhere. :rofl:

3 Likes

Ask a trusted personal source versus a group of strangers!

6 Likes

Figure out your budget and choose a caliber you want. Then go to a gun store and handle the gun. I would consider going to a local gun store. Go to a few shops. Ask questions. Then buy the gun that seems right for you. Then keep saving because you will inevitably buy another gun. Repeat. :rofl:

4 Likes

I noticed that none of the responders to your question suggested giving a revolver a try, so I will. They’re simple to operate. The argument will be " they only hold 5 or 6 rounds". True. Learn to be a good marksman and 5 or 6 will be plenty.

4 Likes

I have trained many first-time shooters on my Walther P22. It’s a great starter pistol. They soon move up to the larger calibers, but always enjoy plinking with their .22! They’re certainly cheaper to shoot!

2 Likes

Still using both revolver and semi-auto, alternating. Some suggest stick with one, for best usability and operation. I’m guarded against 2" barrels, but prefer 3"-4" for EDC, for better accuracy, but that’s just my experience and IMHO.

3 Likes

I also recommend they try to field strip the gun, some are easier then others,

3 Likes