Choosing your next gun?

Maybe you’re purchasing your first handgun, or maybe you’re purchasing your 21st. Regardless of where you are on your self-defense journey, you surely want a firearm that fits your needs. What type of handgun are you looking for next? A concealed carry gun? A range gun? A BUG (backup gun)?

How many firearms do you typically try before you buy one?

7 Likes

I do a lot of research ahead of time. By the time I am buying, I have a very good idea of what I am going to encounter. Being left-hande, I will scratch a lot of potential guns before getting to the shop.

My first time handling a gun is likely the day I make my decision to buy.

9 Likes

Don’t know if it will fit a need… but I really want to add a 1911 to my meager collection.

9 Likes

I love the words @OldGnome used… looks every “old” and wise and left handed men do the same - do a lot of research ahead of time [..] have a very good idea of what I am going to encounter
:handshake:

In my case I have list of 2 - 3 similar handguns for live testing and comparison.

6 Likes

Everyone should have at least one 1911… :grinning:

9 Likes

I am lucky, and have had the chance to shoot several of the guns I bought. Either the actual gun, or the model I was thinking about. Really have my eye on a Ruger SA Blackhawk at the local crack… I mean local gun store. I have shot the Ruger SA’s in .22, never in the larger calibers. But they just look like fun.

3 Likes

I can’t really spree buy, too broke. Unless I win the lottery or @Craig6 or some other avid collector chose to bequeth me tons of fun in the shape of guns I don’t have already.

I am saving up for a .50 Calibre anti material rifle. As my next purchase. Then maybe large caliber revolver for camping and trekking.

4 Likes

@OldGnome,

First thing I ask: does it have ambidextrous safety?

When I go to the LGS, I usually have an idea what I’m looking for so I focus on only one part of the store… unless there’s a red tag that screams “SALE!”

Right now, I’m hoping to find a Ruger Charger in 9mm but not even sure if there’s going to be a “compliant” model.

2 Likes

I do a lot of research ahead of time as well. Then I test fit and handle the ones in consideration, and research the finalists a last time to be sure they have a track record suitable for the Job. In my case that often meant researching the caliber in the platform i’m considering. say the 9.mm out of a short barrel with available ammunition and often, how it will do with the least desirable ammunition , should I be so unfortunate as to be stuck with that. My “next” one was going to be an upgrade, but I’m so happy with what I have that I’m not sure I feel the need.

3 Likes

Well, most of my handguns are Glocks, so…

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would like one more!

5 Likes

I also do a lot of research so when I go to buy a gun I already know what I’m getting and the first test firing of the gun is when i already own it😇

4 Likes

@Todd30

An oldie but goodie. Got it from google, not sure if it’s from an actual USCCA post.

12 Likes

When I go to the gun store I usually have in mind or have an idea what I am going to buy. My next purchase is going to be an AR15 when I get my bonus check from work. :+1: :+1: But even when I don’t purchase a firearm the people know me so they let me just touch as many as I want. But I made up my mind to start buying other than M&Ps and Glocks. I realized I love all guns, well not HI POINTS, LORCINS, DAVIS etc. I will try to purchase FN, CZ, WALTHER,MASADA, RUGER etc. But on a serious note my goal is to just increase my collection and have fun shooting them at the range.

5 Likes

@Johnnyq60 So does that leave this one out

3 Likes

No way brother that was one of the AR15s I had in mind :grinning: :smiley:

1 Like

I always do research on the model, watch reviews, and if I can I’ll rent it first.

The next firearm I have my eyes on is a Mossberg 590A1 12 guage (model 50768). :eyes:

3 Likes

I’ve never tried one before I bought it. I do a lot of research and only had one that wasn’t for me so far. Not terrible!

4 Likes

It’s a lot of fun and shoots great

2 Likes

My wife and I are going to Vance Outdoors this weekend so she can pick out her own CC handgun. She has a few in mind that she has been researching, but she would like to get a feel for each and test out.
Were both looking forward to our “date” at the gun range Saturday.

3 Likes