Choosing your next gun?

I’m thinking the Ruger LCP II is going to be my next purchase. I don’t have a “pocket pistol” or BUG to EDC so I’m thinkin’ I need one of these. My wife says no…to even a BB gun :unamused:

4 Likes

I have considered buying one, but I can get at least two others for the same price. And it would not be an EDC for me, as I do not like external safeties, especially that grip safety. But they do shoot nicely.

2 Likes

Has she looked at the 9mm M&P Shield 2.0 or the Glock 43, just some suggestions.

3 Likes

@Johnnyq60 Haha, funny you mention those because she has them on her list. They are available and in stock at our local shop.

2 Likes

Wow I’m glad about that and I bet she will go with the Shield.:+1:

2 Likes

Not really in the handgun market at the moment, Im currently looking at rifle uppers and barrels. Buuuuut, I do wish to one day aquire a sub compact 9mm within the next few years. I don’t have one yet. I’d like one as a backup to throw in the glove compartment or a backpack as needed. Something for $400 or less, like Mossbergs mc1. It’s cute and practical… by my tactical standards :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I remember that one… It’s an oldie!

2 Likes

Maybe check out Rock River Arms as well. My first AR was a Rock River…moderately priced (e.g. inexpensive :slight_smile: ) and accurate as all get out. I love that bad boy.

2 Likes

For me…I usually see something on a gun tubers channel or hear about some new hotness coming from a manufacture and then go watch a bunch of video reviews for it. I really try and find video reviews that don’t like the gun to make sure I understand all the negatives. I also check with the guys down at my gun shop and see what their view is on it.

Then I want it, I go and check my math in the following order…

Y = X+1 where Y is how many guns I SHOULD have, and X is the current number of guns owned at the moment…once that math checks I move on to the next equation which is…

Is X < D, where X is the dollar cost of the gun and D equals the amount of money that if spent on a gun would generate immediate divorce proceedings. :slight_smile:

Then I start researching who has the gun in stock and at what price and see if there are any deals to be had and then I start saving up. Hopefully by the time I’ve saved enough, I’ve had the opportunity to see the gun in action at the range and get a review from an actual owner.

If all that pans out positive, then I pull the trigger and drop the cash.

3 Likes

I do a lot of research on line. Ask questions of those I trust. Then when I have the list narrowed down, I rent them at my range and see how I feel after shooting them. Next purchase is more of a “I want that” right now, than a specific need.

3 Likes

Yeah, always; oooooo look at that

3 Likes

AR-45 with a 10 inch barrel

3 Likes

Like Oldgnome I don’t really go into the store to try a bunch of guns I tend to do research into my needs and what will meet those needs before I assess the particular comforts. I love guns but not being made of money I would be content with having just one or two weapons of each “calling” shall we say. While that could still mean quite a few Honestly I’d aim to keep it less than ten overall. In a SHTF scenario I don’t like the idea of not being able to get all of my guns ammo and other essentials out in one vehicle. Right now my next firearm will likely be a Bersa TPR9c for a better conceal carry, or an old wheel gun .357 for the same purpose.

This ammo shortage is killing my range time vibes.

3 Likes

I agree, I reload .45 ACP and I have my 1911. To have an AR 45 would make a lot of sense since it is the same round. Do you like how I think? Rather than getting a 300 blackout, which is a good gun but, that would have to be another type of round that I would have to reload.

3 Likes

For me I was eyeing the Five-Seven and P90 for this reason. Although expensive in nearly every way it was overall a good system as far as I could tell to defend myself from nearly any threat. once you start pushing your shots out past the 5.7’s effective range you better be active duty or a LEO before you try to say it was a justified use of force.

I know a lot of people like the 300 Blackout but personally I’d rather use my Beretta in combination with a 9x19 carbine. I see some bad reviews on some of the re-chambering of older rifles like the M-1 but I think I’d almost prefer that sort of base instead of something like the Scorpion. Not saying it’s ineffective I just don’t think I would want another “new” platform in my own arsenal. Maybe a MP5 but knowing the way the bullet does in longer barrels I still think I’d prefer something longer.

As for reloading I definitely would be interested in that especially if I could reload for all my rounds however I currently don’t live in a place that has the space or privacy for such a thing. Don’t want to keep up my neighbors as it were.

3 Likes

I don’t reload however have 9mm handguns & carbines. Waiting for things to brighten up for a 45 acp carbine so yes I like the way you think about that…

3 Likes

So, where does one find these so called “next guns” and the ammo to feed them these days? :grin:

2 Likes

My next is a Glock 19 mos I am getting it tomorrow and I can’t wait. Optic going on and everything

2 Likes

My next weapon will be a Dan Wesson Vigil in 9MM. I don’t need another 9MM but I really like the Dan Wesson line up. The price is fair,I would like better if it had been all Stainless Steel, but it is still a great looking weapon.

Larry

2 Likes

Due to a downturn in income, the debate between AR & PCC will be raging in my mind for some time.

2 Likes