Seeking advice- Daughter's pistol

Sound advice.

1 Like

You’re welcome.

Can’t really comment on the snappiness. Oddly enough, I haven’t fired it often enough to make a comment on it. I’ve been considering taken it out to get practice with it as well.

Anyway, I hope things work out.

1 Like

Along with different ergonomics and operating principles of different pistols, ammunition selection can influence the perceived recoil impulse of a given pistol.

I can’t comment on a specific gun I haven’t fired, but a lighter bullet (e.g. 115gr 9mm) may have a sharp recoil impulse, while the recoil of a heavier bullet (e.g. 147gr 9mm) may give a more gradual “push” in the same gun. I have also found that different brands of nominally similar loads (e.g. 124gr 9mm JHP 1100fps) can feel quite different. I find that Gold Dots give a smack while HST and FTX give a shove. The fired Gold Dot cases also show signs of higher chamber pressure, despite a slightly slower advertised muzzle velocity — so they are off my list (propellent matters!).

Shooter proficiency and firearm design are probably the bigger factors in perceived recoil. But experiment with ammo choice if a gun seems desirable otherwise.

1 Like

I’ve given my wife 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr ammo mixed in the mag of her G2C. New to firearms, ever shot one before me much less touched one, she could not tell the difference and thought they were all the same.

5 Likes

My wife has arthritis is her hands and her grip strength is not as it should be. We got her the Smith & Wesson 380EZ. They also have a 9mm version. This handgun is designed to be ready to track the slide and load the magazine. It is a great shooter also. My wife loves hers and my daughter got one which helps with her smaller hands. I highly suggest curving them out!

3 Likes

Copy that. I have had a similar experience.

Novice partner fresh from an 8hr class — into, familiarize, CHL qualification. Shot a whole pile of things. Came home; online research; made a very reasonable choice (I thought) of full-size M&P9 M2.0 “to learn on; decide about carry later”. I don’t think I was too much of an influence, other than supporting what seemed like a mainstream choice — I had never fired a 9mm and had no history with S&W.

[blah…blah…blah…eventually out to the range]

Novice shooter perceived no difference between common 9mm bullet weights. M’kay.
Novice shooter perceived “no difference” between
• 1911-style micro .380ACP
• M&P9 M2.0
• 1911 officer model .45ACP
All go bang; all jump up; all feel fine; no real preference; early targets all look fine — controlled groups of untimed 5 yard “A” zone hits.
Well, oooh-kaay. These guns all have similar geometry and good ergonomics. Guess we’ll just go from there.

Point being that a novice shooter may not perceive some very real differences in the middle of all the newness and noise. That doesn’t mean that there is no difference; nor that the difference won’t affect ease of learning and comfort. That’s for the new shooter to realize over time, but for the coach or advisor to take into account at the beginning. Also for the more experienced shooter — who might have settled on one gun and one load early on — to consider that changing ammunition can change the shooting experience as much as changing guns or adding accessories.

1 Like

I agree got the same gun for my daughter my wife and eventually one for myself too! they’ve all run perfect

3 Likes

Have an indoor range that rents different pistols so we’re going to go see what they have, i completely forgot about it bc i can shoot outside here at home and it’s a good hour away, hoping they have a wide selection, and there’s another indoor range about 30 minutes farther that may offer different rentals. Thanks to whoever mentioned that idea and ty for your reply also

4 Likes

I don’t know about your range, but some of the ranges here that rent firearms will allow you to swap firearms within the same caliber and type (IE: swap different pistols in 9mm) without charging you.

I would, highly, highly recommend making a day of it and just going and testing different makes/models and see what feels right in her hand and well as ease of racking, etc . .

Good luck! And hope all goes well!!

4 Likes

Single 47yro female here and I have a hand issue (from years on the computer). Tried the EZ everyone loves but still found it a bit difficult, and really don’t like the safety. I tried a bunch and found the Shadow Systems MR920L - I LOVE IT because it is absolutely the EASIEST gun to rack, even with training on how to do so properly, this one glides (even before it was well oiled). SO easy to use, and to break down, comes with different grip backs to help with your angle, tons of upgrades, based on the glock, and it looks awesome :slight_smile: It is taking a bit to break in, but love love love it! And they have the options for bigger/smaller grip, shorter/longer barrel, etc. It was a little more expensive, but to me it’s a worth it investment. I admit I’m going to have to try and figure out how to carry it, but I am a bit taller which will help (skinnier will help even more - HA!)

8 Likes

Hello and welcome @Margaret13
I have always wanted to try out that pistol, very cool😎

3 Likes

Thank you! It is fun…

2 Likes

It always makes me happy when someone finds their “ideal” firearm. The fact that you really like it will make it much more likely you have it with you should it be needed in your defense. There are a lot of carry options. If you approach finding the one right for you as diligently as you did selecting your firearm I am sure you will find exactly what you are looking for. Check to see if there is a chapter of “Well Armed Women” meeting regularly near you. That should give you some great feedback on carry options.

3 Likes

Got to help a couple out the other day, guy brought his wife in, he was sure that his wife would get a Glock 43x, she kinda liked it but was unsure.

I asked her to try a few others and they agreed, out on the counter had the G43x, a CSX, P365, P365xl, hellcat, hellcat pro, and EZ, all in 9mm…

In the end after 20 minutes of holding, racking, mag release and slide catch operations, the winner was the Hellcat Pro. The EZ was quickly put away as the backstrap safety was a huge concern, especially with her way of gripping the firearm…

Get a shop that will let you handle everything you want, multiple in front you, and go back and forth finding that right feel…

5 Likes

Many shooting ranges have guns you can rent b4 you buy one. I also recommend taking a beginner shooting class, preferably taught by a woman to make it more comfortable for her.

3 Likes

How can you grip the firearm and not engage the safety?

1 Like

That was cool of you. Sounded like the wife is still early on in her learning. Kinda glad she shy’d away from the Glock, being SA only and without a safety. Smart. I find the Glocks have a soft trigger pull. No wonder they were targeted for police or military, who must undergo special training. Play it safer.

1 Like

For you or I, no problem with that safety, for a new gun owner, in the heat of everything, it could be a problem…

I’ll go back to when I taught my uncle and cousins how to shoot a pistol, specifically the EZ9.

At the range, while shooting, both of them found on multiple occasions, they could not fire the gun, a zero stress environment and that the gun was broken…

I could pick up the gun and shoot it just fine, showing them their issue with it…

Its a great gun, as long as you put in the training to handle it properly (even properly with that kind of safety).

My wife, still very new into firearms, I would not get her an EZ9 just because of that backstrap safety, she may not get the proper grip in a time of need and have a paperweight in her hand…

1 Like

I would really like to get my hands on one of those some day. I just can’t justify it since my trusty old Glock 19 just keeps on ticking. But if I was starting all over again today I would spend the extra cash for the Shadow Systems.

2 Likes

I’ll admit I’ve never handled one. I assumed that the grip safety on the ez would have taken almost no strength to compress.

When you assume you make …

1 Like