Is it worth it being an NRA member?

In my opinion, absolutely! If nothing else, it’s worth it just to be able to support the Eddie Eagle program.

NRA Life Endowment member
GOA Patriot member
GCO annual member

8 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Thomas_W

5 Likes

I was thinking about Joining the NRA but I recently discovered they budged in “Red Flag Laws”. I joined the GOA. I’m thinking it would be good to join multiple 2A advocacy groups, but I am a little torn.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to decide whether to join the NRA, as well. They’re still the big muscle on 2A, even if they aren’t as respected as they once were. They ought to make Colion their next president, that would easily get me on board.

4 Likes

Join the NRA. There is no downside. I am a life member and while they are going through some stuff right now, they are still the biggest roadblock to further infringement on our rights. But you dont have to limit your membership to just that organization. GOA, or Gun Owners of America is a great organization and are getting bigger and picking up some of the slack left by the current turmoil in the NRA. Keep in mind that as a member, you get to vote for the leadership, so if you are not a fan of Wayne, join the NRA and help vote him out.

A couple other organizations I am a member of are the ASA, American Suppressor Association, which is fighting the good fight for suppressors, DSC and SCI which fight for my hunting rights, and the MUCC, the Michigan United Conservation Club, which helps fight for Michigan issues.

But still, the NRA is the big powerhouse. Join if you havent joined. If you are aware of a new shooter, family, friend, acquaintance, etc. keep in mind that the NRA ALWAYS has some kind of special membership drive and I have been known to give out gift NRA memberships to new shooters I encounter. That magazine arriving every month is a good reminder to them and gives them something firearms-positive to read as opposed to the anti-gun narrative that is pushed just about everywhere else.

7 Likes

We are NRA members. Something I wasn’t aware of and found out, the NRA, or local NRA, donated, this spring, several dollars in shells, hearing protection etc., to our youth trap club/team. I don’t know what the dollar amount was, but fairly significant.

7 Likes

NRA has budged on several important pro-2A topics, and their poor spending of your money is also well-known. However @Brian139 makes an excellent point in that they are always the one that anti-gunners mention and that is who they fear.

I have a hard time telling people to do it or not do it because (IMO) its a really grey choice.

But definitely put your dollars everywhere you can. GOA, ASA, SAF are all great national pro-2A groups and I think it would be very wise to find a state/regional pro-2A group as well. Your local laws will impact you far more quickly than anything national.

6 Likes

Harvey…good point! in Idaho we have the Idaho second amendment alliance, and they do a great job. I think the director is also advocating organizations in WI, IA…etc, I think, but am not sure. The gun organization in Idaho is big and powerful.

One of my local disagreements is the NRA has lobbyists, that lobby to our Idaho legislature. I am sure they try, and make some in roads, however this is my state. We have local, pro 2nd amendment groups, and don’t need any interference from national lobbyists. In fact when Idaho was passing permitless carry, the NRA interfered with the bill wording, tied up the process. The NRA lobbyist heard our voices, and backed off.

JULY 1, big day again for Idaho! The permitless law will apply to any individual, not only Idaho residents, but any travelers, military etc. Any person, Age 18 and over, will be able to carry concealed in Idaho, with no permit! The current law restricts to Idaho residents only, and leaves out our military.

The NRA has some teeth, but so does judicial watch!

5 Likes

I encourage you to do your own research on the NRA and Red Flag laws. They have made some confusing statements on Red Flag laws, but that is why you need to be a member and complain long and loud when they are stumbling into a gray area. In one of the more recent episodes, Ivanka Trump was pushing for the President to get behind some red flag legislation that the NRA initially had not outright opposed. The NRA membership voiced a lot of opposition and Trump took a call from the NRA saying that the membership was opposed, Trump stepped back from his initial support.

Below is a list of NRA actions related to Red Flag laws…

The National Rifle Association (NRA) had previously argued that red flag laws unnecessarily hamper the right to due process of individuals who are restrained by them,[48] and worked to defeat such legislation in Utah and Maryland.[100] In a March 2018 policy reversal, the NRA suggested that it might support such laws, but conditioned any openness to such laws on an extensive list of conditions,[49][100] including a judicial finding by “clear and convincing evidence” that the person poses a significant risk of danger.[100] The NRA did not identify any federal or state red flag laws that it supported,[100] and even after its March 2018 announcement continued to work to defeat or weaken red flag bills introduced in state legislatures.[101] In summer 2018, the NRA mobilized to defeat red-flag legislation proposed in Pennsylvania because it objected to allowing initial hearings ex parte .[101] In Arizona in 2019, the NRA ghostwrote an opinion piece for sheriffs to submit to the local press stating their opposition to the legislation.[102] A 2019 study by gun rights advocate John Lott found red flag laws have no significant effect on murder, suicide, the number of people killed in mass public shootings, robbery, aggravated assault, or burglary.[103]

4 Likes

I joined the NRA in 1992-93 when the “Assault Weapons” Ban was proposed. They lost this battle but one the war with the Sunset provision and nationally with the NICS system, which prevented registration (perhaps.) I have been an annual member ever since. Is it worth being an NRA member? Absolutely. I personally believe they were instrumental in Donald Trump being elected (love him or hate him, do you really think Hillary Clinton is a friend of those that choose to protect themselves and carry?) Currently though they appear to be in hiding. They have had some astounding spokespeople like Dana Loesch and Colion Noir, but alas they are no longer affiliated with the NRA! Without the NRA many states would have waiting periods of months and even years, many states would not have any concealed carry. Those that are lifetime members need to demand change, as well as annual members like me. Hopefully they will regain their footing and stand up and begin fighting again.

4 Likes

It is definitely worth it. I have been a life member since WAY before I was able to afford it. Do you know what the second largest civil rights organizations is? I don’t, but I know that the largest one is the NRA.

9 Likes

I agree… NRA is the BIG DOG in the room and takes More hits like no other and the NRA has President Trumps ear. I also give to SAF and The California Guns Foundation and of course the USCCA!

3 Likes

I actually used some of the stimulus check to donate to Hillsdale college and NRA. I also upped my contribution to our state gun rights group. The NRA helps fight the national battles.

Some of the next stimulus will find a new home or maybe the same place. Haven’t decided yet. I am open to suggestions on good organizations. I have thought of the private group building the wall, but haven’t done anything with that. Not sure they are still in business - https://webuildthewall.us/

3 Likes

For national level they’re probably the biggest player. Though GoA is probably more fundamental.

AT the state and local level, depends on where you are. Realistically, aside from the press that comes from big national things, local laws affect people much more on a day to day basis. Also worth looking into local groups.

2 Likes

There’s a large number of causes that I would support way more if they would STOP making things that aren’t their business into their business… issuing public statements that have nothing to do with 2a or firearms or self defense …

1 Like

I have been a Life Member for a long time, will probably become Endowment at some point. The NRA has been around for a looooooong time and has done a LOT of good for the survival of our 2nd A. I would even venture to say that if not for them we would have lost our gun rights a long time ago. You know how I know they are important? Because the are the first word out of every anti-gun politician every time the topic comes up. If they are THAT big of a thorn on their side, they are doing something right. So I will continue supporting them for the rest of my days.

8 Likes

I too am an Endowment member and have been for a long time. I’m not happy with Wayne or the amount of solicitations for $$, BUT NRA is the Big Dog, without them our rights would have long ago vaporized. If you truly want to keep your firearms you’d best support the NRA and the Anti Joe forces for all you’re worth.

5 Likes

I’ve been a member with the NRA for a while now. I understand the need to email for campaign / lobbying contributions. But…, and yes there is a but…
What really makes the NRA look disabled is the fact that their offices are in Virginia where Gov. Northam and his buddies in the state are doing to hinder every aspect of the 2nd Amendment.
It’s like having the one person amongst you that you know is the neighborhood problem but just can’t get help getting rid of that whole house at once. Same kind of feeling. Then I’ve read where the NRA has been accused of severe internal mismanagement(?)…, does anyone have solidified facts? Despite all of the growing pains in the “ lifts and shifts” of it all, I renewed for another (5) years with the NRA.
We all have our thorns to pull once stuck, but it’s getting more and more contentious for us in this arena. Lately gun sales did 2 things. One, it boosted the economy in a way unexpected, (2) Made it harder to have the government try to take them all at once even if some federal mandate is put in place.
Save empty containers and buy lots of zip locks in case they need to be broken down and stashed out during a ban or seizure attempt. Caches … nice collective word we used frequently in overseas ops.
The NRA has fought for us and that’s why I gave another 5 year commitment. Sad to see there are several companies / corporations kowtowing to liberals that want us off the planet. We can’t be polite about our rights. We have to help others help us. It’s just getting out of control with anti gun lobbyist until someone comes at them and then they become believers. Read a story about that recently. Anti gun advocate turns pro gun activist after his family is attacked.
I’ll continue to support the NRA & USCCA. I’m concerned that at some point the lobbyist will attempt to convince Congress to ban all of us and identify us in a register. I see it coming.

3 Likes

I’m an NRA Shotgun instructor and Life member from way back.
I do understand the frustration many have with the organization, however it is the most powerful voice the 2A has and that means a lot.

If you’re in a bar room brawl, badly out numbed and the biggest guy in the place is on your side. It doesn’t seem wise to bust a chair over his head just because you don’t like how much he pays for his suits

6 Likes

:+1: love the comparison​:blush:

1 Like