Is it worth it being an NRA member?

What are some of the pros and cons being a member?

I know the NRA is kind of going through inner turmoil to some degree with Wayne being in charge regarding his spending.

2 Likes

It’s the NRA-ILA that is what I believe in supporting most. I’m looking into as I have heard that money can be earmarked for this and especially towards your home state.

4 Likes

There are no con’s it’s a wonderful organization that does amazing things with education, training, and defending our rights.

LaPierr’s days are numbered and his value to the organization has long been outlived.

We’ll survive him and be an even better and stronger organization once he’s gone.

11 Likes

I joined the NRA because it was a requirement to be able to join my local gun club, which is an NRA affiliate. I am getting their magazine that is aimed at the CCL crowd, and it is a nice read, but it can’t hold a candle to the USCCA mag. I live in a small rural community, so I have not been able to use the ‘members discounts’, but I AM thankful for their presence in Washington.

5 Likes

The NRA has some great benefits as well. I needed to get hearing aides and I use the NRA Hearing Benefits and got them for 60% off. I also use it to buy hearing protection for the gun range as well. And it is free and also free for ALL FAMILY MEMBERS AS WELL AS BROTHERS, SISTERS, AND PARENTS.

5 Likes

And we are all considered terrorists in San Francisco! We got that going for us.

7 Likes

I’ve long been labeled a terrorist by several gov’ts overseas :grinning:

Not surprising the far left loons in SF are following course.

4 Likes

Though I do not agree with everything the NRA says and does, I do plan to stay a member. I initially joined when I became an instructor, we use the hotel discounts frequently and I do enjoy my subscription to Shooting Illustrated. At the end of the day, they are to my knowledge the largest organization fighting for 2A rights and even though I don’t agree with everything and ever tactic, they are relentless. I must say I never thought I’d be liked a terrorists for being a member though :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:. I find that hilarious seeing I pay taxes and never break any laws…

4 Likes

I am an NRA Rifle instructor and while it’s a “sanitized” class, my gun club requires me to have that as part of being an Assistant Junior Air Rifle Coach. The NRA does some good things. You need to focus on the good.
As a former club member, I know if we have 100% enrollment in the NRA from members, we are more likely to get grants etc for range upgrades and otherwise.

If you are not happy with them, don’t donate.

5 Likes

They are the Big Dog in our fight to maintain and reclaim our rights. Despite some current foolishness and troubled financials, that’s reason enough for me right there.

6 Likes

Not a huge fan of what is going on with them, but am a member, as they are the largest 2A group.

5 Likes

Recently became a life member (NRA)… wish things were not as they are there but the orgainization is about all we got… ALTHOUGH I really like GOA and SAF n such as well! Been a member of USCCA since very near the start! Like very much what I see here! GLADE I joined…

3 Likes

Well said.

Something I’ve been pointing out to people for a long time is that you can never change/improve an organization from the outside. Change has to come from within and when enough of the membership demands change it happens.

3 Likes

Join them all and I recommend the 2nd Amendment Foundation as well.

The NRA is “The big dog in the fight” but those smaller organization all have influence as well and they all need our support. We tend not to think about it but if you have a million members donating 10.00 each that’s Ten million dollars that organization has to fight with.

Send a hundred each to five organizations along with millions of others and that’s a lot of money they can use to carry the fight on for us.

4 Likes

thats true. the NRA needs to reel in the wanton spending or lose favor with lots of members!! it is still the strongest organization fighting for our second amendment rights. they are the one group always mentioned in the hate propaganda of the left! I keep my membership current and am joining at least one other 2nd amendment rights group! I submit everyone reading this should do the same!

3 Likes

@Leroy. I am an NRA Lifetime member, I also am with (ISRA) Illinois State Rifle Association, and Gun Owners of America,
What I wanted to say is in my opinion the NRA could save probably Millions in bulk mail each year by emailing the members. Everyone under 100 years old has an email delivery address but yet if I weighed the mail probably I would get 25-30 lbs each year. I could even get maybe 2-3 lbs in a week sometimes. Multiply me times 5-6 Million Members and that is a Boatload of Cash in Postage.

2 Likes

@Robert8 I fear the paper mail is part of the package the advertising agency/mass marketing media company sold NRA to get the word out all along the mail delivery path. Likely they also had statistics which ‘shows’ paper mail means x dollars return on investment over a given time projected. Since it seems we’ll never see NRA take such outreach projects in house, where could we find such remarkably successful people to do what we can’t?, we just have to hope someone in the Board of Directors passes by here and makes it one of their “projects.”

Remember, if you don’t donate you have to work harder to earn your right to get that gun the Government doesn’t want you to own! (I’m thinking about the recent campaign I’ve got 3 approaches for the next sweepstakes for.)

Like you, Life Member, just trying to make a dollar do a dollar’s work - not pay a marketer 50 cents/dollar for the ‘service.’

1 Like

Don’t know… I’ve never been one. I have many friends that are members. I chose not to join the NRA. I’m a member of the NAAGA & will probably join the GOA in the near future. :v:t5:

2 Likes

Well I have to tell you Chris. I send donations to NRA Quarterly and last few years I take that mail from our mailbox and deposit immediately in the garage basket I just don’t even open NRA Mail.

2 Likes

great! we need as many people as possible to join at least NRA as well as others. I am a life-time member as well-I just re-up when needed.no one can agree 100 percent with any one else or organization. but we MUST be members of at least one to keep our voice heard! remember to vote for your rights TOO!!

2 Likes