Glocks are popular, but why? ;)

I heard a new phrase for Glocks this last weekend in training - Tactical Tupperware. Yes, I laughed. But it got me thinking of all of the different reasons people like their Glocks. And trust me, everyone who had one in the training class swore by their Glock.

Tom McHale’s blog post this week couldn’t have been timed better for me and I thought all of the Glock-lovers here would like it too.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/why-are-glocks-so-popular/

One point that Tom didn’t cover is that Glocks are so popular they get all of the “toys” as we discussed in the thread Why do Glocks get all the toys?

Why do you love your Glock?

Don’t worry Sig lovers, I’ve got a thread for us later in the day. :wink:

9 Likes

The article just about says it all. It is simple, durable and reliable. If I had not gone in to law enforcement I may not like Glocks like I do. But having carried one for over 20 years, I know the gun and it feels right. The only parts I have had to replace on a regular basis has been magazines and an occasional spring.

9 Likes

Good article. Well written and straight to the point. I carry Glocks every day for much of the same reasons, they just work.

1 Like

I don’t care for them BUT they do go bang every time you pull the trigger. Glock is synonymous for reliability :blush:. Reasonable price and solid reliability make a pretty tough package to beat.

4 Likes

Of course you link to my gripe thread lol

3 Likes

Reliability for one, plus they eat just about anything.

5 Likes

Yep, yep, and yep, to all of the above. Beauty is as beauty does. And a reliable firearm is a beautiful thing.

Plus the geometry suits my hand.

Plus when I was looking for my first handgun, the head of the Israeli Shooting School in Los Angels (a former Mosad trainer) said Get A Glock.

I read the Glock book a few months ago, it was an excellent read. Some really brilliant marketing tactics in there… like give the police department huge discounts (sometimes as much as 100%) on new Glocks in exchange for their current guns… then selling the police trade ins on the used market for a profit.

But mostly its all about easy, reliable, durable, afordable, accuracy.

5 Likes

I’m just gonna keep piling on the fact that they just work.

They’ve been called everything under the but even the most avid glock hater is gonna hate that they work every time.

5 Likes

They ain’t sexy or flashy, but at crunch time you can feel confident they will work. Reliability is the most important requirement for a defensive handgun.

6 Likes

I don’t :joy: - Sorry “Glock fans”. I don’t love them because I don’t shoot them.
However Glock rules the World and this is the fact I cannot deny.
I’ve spoken with many, many LEOs in US and all of them used Glocks, I’ve been in Europe (most of NATO countries) and met a lot of Police officers - almost all of them used Glocks.
Recently I’ve visited American Cemetery in Luxembourg where security is covered by local G4S Security - they use Glocks…
Reason? Everyone has been telling the same - they just SHOOT.
This tool has no other job to do. Needs to shoot in every condition and be easy to maintain.
So… my :clap::clap::clap: to GLOCK Ges.m.b.H. :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Reliable, runs any ammo, endlessly customizable. They continue to work with no issues even when dirty. Multiple calibers in multiple sized weapons. So they are not flashy and sexy but, they work every time you squeeze the trigger. What else would you want for a life and death situation?

5 Likes

[quote=“Zee, post:7, topic:12095”]
mostly its all about easy, reliable, durable, afordable, accuracy.

Simply put Zee…Glocks are like the Honda of guns and they are battle tested.

3 Likes

They work, reliable, and inexpensive. Not for me, I don’t speak Austrian… :grinning:

And you can’t put cool wood, mammoth tooth, or other exotic grips on 'em.

2 Likes

I know others manufacturers who could be compared with Glock. They are even better guns and more reliable within the same price… but somebody somehow made a decision that Glock was the chosen one…

3 Likes

It’s pretty simple, Hollywood created “Glockitis” assigning magical qualities to them and in the real world, while ugly, they are cheap and extremely reliable.

Probably 2nd Only to 1911’s when it comes to aftermarket upgrades and accessories which drives up their popularity even more.

Glock also did a heck of a job creating their own market by almost giving them away to police agencies and getting them in the hands of many of the most dominating competition shooters in the country.

I’ve owned 4 glocks, I’m not particularly fond of them but they do go bang every time.

3 Likes

Actually I think that started mostly with the press - Assassination Guns that are invisible to metal detectors! Oh My! :scream: Glock rode that panic straight to the bank.

5 Likes

That was certainly part of it but that came from Hollywood as well. The meme didn’t really start until about 94 if I remember right and Glock had already become famous on film well before then.

1 Like

Glockitis? I thought it was Glockoma?

5 Likes

I have to say, glock is like three AK-47 of pistols. I have had a few and I just REALLY don’t care for them. There isn’t anything wrong with them at all, I’m just a 1911 guy, it was the very first pistol I ever fired as a child and I’ve loved it every since. I’ve carried a Baretta M9 in the Marines and it’s was great, then when I first got my permit I figured why not try the Glock 19 since I used it at the range and was proficient with it. BUT, in the end I want as happy with it as I like and swapped out.

2 Likes

I love my Glock 19 Gen 5. b/c it’s reliable & is a great fit for my hand. Never a problem in ab 2000 rounds & it’s my CC weapon. Hated the take-down nubs tho, they were almost impossible to grab b/c they were so tiny (longer nails didn’t help) so I bought the extended slide lock lever & installed it myself. Now take down is a breeze. Will keep mine 4 ever!

4 Likes