Glock 101 for New Shooters

Here’s a great introduction article about Glocks for new pistol users - or those who are checking out Glocks for the first time.

Glock Lovers: what other things should people who are looking at Glocks know about these guns?

1 Like

Perhaps additional training will correct that. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

ALL rear sight posts are plastic

2 Likes

… this is some quality humor :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s OK, eventually you can graduate to an HK.

4 Likes

Ummm not just glocks

“Holstering a Glock requires making sure that nothing gets in between the trigger and the holster.”

But, as @Kerryman71 said eventually you can graduate to an HK!

3 Likes

LOL! I totally missed that! :rofl:

Edit: I’ve let the Grammar Queen here know about the interesting choice of words. :blush:

1 Like

Glocks have steeper than usual grip angle, so if you trained with other handguns before trying a Glock, make sure to focus on your grip and presentation.

1 Like

Ok, Glock Girl weighing in here… I think that article needs another header. Two paragraphs of advantages and five paragraphs of disadvantages just isn’t right. That should really be two of Advantages, two of Disadvantages and 3 of How To Make Your Glock Even More Awesome.
:grin: Just Sayin’

so… Glock 101 additional points:

• Remember to use jacketed rounds - Glocks lead up if you shoot straight lead rounds
  • If you have the Glock Box with the post that goes through the trigger guard in front of the trigger you MUST MUST MUST unload what’s in the chamber before boxing it… that post can fire the gun in the box if the box is mishandled. Better yet, cut out that post or get a better box.
  • Be sure to clean your Glock after competing in sports that require you to swim mud holes or hike in the rain or dive into the ocean or otherwise sweat profusely while carrying. Your Glock will fire just fine during those events, but it always appreciates a good cleaning after.
  • Do Not Listen to people who want to disparage your excellent choice of a practical, reliable firearm. Simply turn down the sensitivity on your ear protection and put more holes in a tidy little group on the target.

Ok, some folks will say it’s my Glockoma talking :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, but actually those first two point are really serious.

7 Likes

Everyone has jokes I enjoy the laughs. But all the hate glock receives helped draw me to them.

If you’re being hated on you’re doing something right.

3 Likes

I love my Gen5 Model 19. I tried many and that is what I selected.

1 Like

My advice to new Glock users would be to make up your own mind about the trigger before spending money to have it replaced because of what people say on the internet.

3 Likes

@Jeff4 we shoot ours with the stock triggers, no issues. so I’d definitely agree!
Welcome to the group!

1 Like

That’s a great point - check out the gun the way it comes, it could fit you perfectly as is! Do you own Glocks, @Jeff4?

Glad to have you here!

1 Like

Yes, G19 & G26. Also have a house full of Sigs.

2 Likes

Regardless of what you’re carrying the one MAJOR rule is to keep your index finger far and away from the trigger guard unless you intend to pull the trigger. Many modern striker fired guns lack manual safeties, and even where there is a safety the story remains the same… Keep your finger (and anything else) AWAY from the trigger and outside the trigger guard. RULE 2 - Leave the trigger alone on your CARRY gun. Do not “Buck Rodgers” your Glock for a 3.5lb Ghost, or anything else if you intend to carry it… You’re asking for trouble. It can lead to unintended malfunctions if installed improperly, and the trigger is much lighter and therefore more susceptible to accidental manipulation… It’s just a bad idea… FOR THE HATERS - I’ve been carrying a Glock as part of my EDC since the first G19 was released. As much as I personally love to hate on Glock for their continuous lack of innovation, and a stubborn unwillingness to “keep up with the Jones’s”; there can be no argument when it comes to their reliability. They are “shooters”, and are boringly reliable. It’s simply indisputable. Now that’s not to say that I don’t carry other brands as well… Because as we speak I’m wearing a Sig P320sc… I have a S&W shield 2.0, a P365, a G26, and a brand new baby PPQsc sitting at home… All part of the rotation depending on what I’m wearing, or what mood I’m in… The point is, “the best gun” is the one you have in your hand when your life is on the line… What works for you may not be suitable for someone else, and visa versa… All this fanboy stuff is ridiculous.

2 Likes

It’s all in good fun. I am not a fan of Glocks because I shoot terribly with them. They work really well for others and I’d never dissuade someone from getting a Glock because I shoot poorly with them.

I’ll just continue my Sig Fangirl from time to time. :wink:

3 Likes

I LOVE my Sigs. I think I mentioned I’m carrying one right now… In fact, I’m working on modifying an XCarry grip mod to work with my SC slide and 12 round mags… The P320 is one fantastic firearm and worthy of all the praise it gets. If you’ve never tried one, I HIGHLY suggest the Walther PPQ. The PPQ is hands down my favorite firearm right now… It doesn’t get nearly the amount of recognition it deserves.

2 Likes

May I ask others of their thoughts on changing the connector on your carry gun? I do not see that much difference in changing the OEM connector to one produced and sold by a company. This is not the same as physically making changes to the factory connector.

1 Like

I talked to a Sig rep at the USCCA Expo and he was telling me about doing that… So tempting!

1 Like