How many think a first time gun owner should get a Glock

**The only safety on a Glock is your finger,Should a new gun owner be trained first,or are they responsible enough to remember there are no external safetys on Glocks, a lot of people buy them discover this and return them for something else.

14 Likes

not a glock fan so I’d suggest not.

8 Likes

A 1st-time gun owner should shop - regardless of caliber - for a hammer-fired DA or SA, with a thumb safety, and continue to practice gun-handling skills. Moving to a DAO pistol should remain a gradual step in a shooter’s development. Don’t get fancy, or become a legend in your mind - and don’t emulate other shooters.

14 Likes

A Glock 22 caliber to train with would not be a bad deal because it is the size of a Glock 19. To answer your question if they can shoot it and can shoot it well a Glock would be a good gun for a first time gun owner.

9 Likes

One pistol I’ve recommended is the “Baby” Desert Eagle - but even with its safety de-cocker, I still recommend manual de-cocking with the safety on.

5 Likes

The only safety on each firearm is our brain… but… about the Glock. There are enough internal safeties, so if somebody doesn’t feel safe with it it should be trained better and know the firearm.
People should be educated BEFORE making decision about purchasing the firearm.
I’m not a Glock fun, but have respect to this pistol. Over 40 years and still doesn’t need external safety.

So… is a Glock good as a first pistol? Yes, definitely yes. But as mentioned before - first know what do you want from the firearm.

15 Likes

Because I deal with a lot of first time gun owners, my advice has been and always will be the following: I suggest that they visit a gun store that has rentals. I suggest that they invest the time to do some research both before going to the range and at the range trying several different offerings from as many manufacturers that they are willing to.

I don’t push them away from any particular brand. I’m not a Glock vs. this or that type of person. As an Instructor, I tell my clients that I will work with them “where they are with what they have.”

Brand snobbery isn’t helpful for new gun owners.

25 Likes

I don’t think it matters what type of gun it is as long as you are comfortable, proficient and responsible with before you put real ammo in it.

14 Likes
9 Likes

Missed you Sir Mac. I’m biased towards that brand, but there are many comparable(s) without a thumb safety as well.

But I’m also biased in that I support there being more “responsible” gun owners. So, if someone prefers having a thumb safety, then I support them, as opposed to he/she not carrying at all.

I guess the question can also be rephrased as should one’s first semiauto firearm (FA), have a thumb safety or not. I tend to lean toward the average person going for one with a thumb safety on their very first.

The last two years have seen the most FA sales in history. Just who are these buyers? Who live in the apartment next door to me. Personally speaking, I’d rather they buy with a safety, especially his/her first time.

Then later, once more experienced, one can always go for one without a thumb safety, if preferred.

The tip about renting first can help as well.

I was one of those who didn’t mind not having a thumb safety, but then again, I worked my way up to it, learning where I could, and still today, learning more about how to best be safe with it. It could depend on one’s background too. Just like with all other things in life, confidence and comfort vary, and there’s no right or wrong, good or bad about it, it’s just another aspect of life, and it’s not for everyone.

I personally went with Glock for various other reasons.

Somewhat related is the topic of carrying one in the chamber Vs. not. Also brought up this week. Don’t get me started on accuracy and revolvers, perhaps for another topic and day.

Great post.

3 Likes

If a person can’t remember to keep their finger off the trigger are you going to trust them to remember to activate the safety when they should?

At any rate, the first firearm that I really started practicing with was a Glock and I somehow managed to survive.

13 Likes

P.S. - For another, I’ve recommended the Walther PK 380 - its magazine disconnect is an irritation sometimes, but its ambidextrous slide-mounted thumb safety and magazine release for lefties and those who want to practice off-hand shooting are valuable features.

4 Likes

** there are several guns with a grip safety that one do not have to remember but have to squeeze the grip correctly**

7 Likes

Interesting. On my study list.

Burdo,I agree with you :100:, I’m always thinking SAFETY FIRST, I’ve been shooting a little over 50 years, I own Two Glocks, I taught my wife starting with a 38 Revolver, then a 9mil with safety, and now she like Glocks, it took time, thank you for your comments,your very smart

5 Likes

I have never shot a 1911 or similar so I’m not sure how effective the grip safety is at preventing negligent discharges in most circumstances? Revolvers also have no manual safeties though their heavy DA triggers make it a little harder to accidentally pull the trigger.

Glocks and similar firearms actually have several safeties designed to keep them from going off as long as you keep your finger off the trigger. I personally feel that a manual safety is one more thing for a beginner to have to deal with and it may even provide a false sense of security in some situations.

The most import thing for a new shooter is to follow the Four Primary Rules of Firearm Safety regardless of which type of firearm they are learning on.

10 Likes

Thanks DonJMac.

Although I shy away from revolvers, due to not being as accurate with, I had heard they are good for early training, and that was how I started, and I’ve felt it did teach me to be more accurate with the semi’s.

I find them good teaching tools, but personally, as an EDC, they are not my first go to, though on occasion I’ve had to turn to them depending on where I’m headed out on my trip. Best regards.

4 Likes

Amen, I have a 1911 and the grip lock works, but I do agree with you on all you said, thanks

6 Likes

This one is super effective. It blocks trigger bar so it cannot activate the sear.
But, comparing to Glocks, it does exactly the same job as trigger safety.

5 Likes

I find grip-safeties to be obsolete and a general UPITA - when Springfield Armories’ first poly models came out, I passed them by - might as well put them on revolvers sold in CA.

3 Likes