What advice would you give a new gun owner?

Your friend just bought an awesome new gun that you two had talked about in the past.

What advice do you give them?

3 Likes

Practice, practice, and then, practice some more. Become so familiar with that gun that it is an extension of your arm.

9 Likes

Practice

Disassembled and clean

Store responsibily/control when children are around

Have fun

6 Likes
  1. Always remember “It’s self DEFENSE not stuff defense”
  2. Keep it clean at all times.
  3. Practice lead :point_right: Perfection
  4. Discipline “Obey the Law”
  5. Safety, Safety and Safety
5 Likes
  1. Treat all firearms as if they are always loaded.
  2. Never point a firearm at anything you’re not willing to destroy.
  3. Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are on target and ready to shoot.
  4. Always be sure of your target and beyond.
7 Likes

Being more responsible and mature in their adventures with training and conceal and carry. There is a reason

for this statement. Things that are going really bad with firearm shootings (People Die!) and the Gun Laws People are

blaming the wrong people; us. You and I must continue to Train, Practice, and do what we have been taught.

I am hungry for more training and it is a habit that I do not wish break as long as I do it correctly. Or did I misunderstand the

Question? The 4 Universal Safety Rules are the beginning of our adventure, but there is more.

Sincerely,

William Smith Jr

2 Likes

Everything mentioned so far is perfect. I would add that they should learn the specifics of how their gun works before they ever think about using it. Yes, read the manual! I have three different S&W pistols and they each had some instructions that were different than the others. If they’re not familiar with guns, then dry fire, dry fire, dry fire to get accustomed to handling it.

3 Likes

Take a gun safety course, and then, get to the range. Lastly, start thinking about some training courses.

5 Likes

Take a class. Then, take another class. When it comes to gun laws don’t believe anything the keyboard warriors say on this or any other page. If you didn’t read it on a page that ends in .Gov, don’t believe it.

3 Likes

It seems like everyone stated the most obvious suggestions so the only thing left is to tell him or her, to make sure that the barrel end of the gun with the hole in it is facing AWAY FROM YOU when you pull the trigger. :wink:

2 Likes

Well, if we’re gonna be funny,
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

3 Likes

Well, I figured all of the correct advice was given so I thought I would give advice which may be obvious but at the same time very helpful. I liked your advice too.

NICE!

2 Likes

Something more educational and helpful to help you be responsible, safer, and staying
alive and well.

4 Likes

Ok, so… adding to the Completley Obvious After The Fact advice… high-necked shirt, no open toe shoes.

And for the not so obvious to the new shooter advice… just because your boyfriend / parent / neighbor / spouse can shoot doesn’t mean they can teach. Get a trained teacher.

4 Likes

I saw that first hand this weekend when a gentleman was teaching is adult nieces to shoot. He insisted that he wanted to rent a .380 and not a full-size 9mm for them. Most .380s are small and have a good amount of recoil because of the size.

I suggested the full-size 9 and was basically told I didn’t know what I was talking about. His nieces were embarrassed by his behavior. As soon as one of my male counterparts suggested the 9 mm it was the best suggestion ever.

I believe one of them left with a bandaid over slide bite… sigh

4 Likes

I am still being educated and have the classes, but the training must keep growing too, This
is a guide and intermediate to go into advance training, it is tough. From intermediate training to
advance. You start somewhere. Not competition ! More training.

Font to small and I miss spelled words. INTERMEDIATE TO ADVANCE TRAINING

"ADVISE TO NEW GUN OWNERS" Obey all the UNIVERSAL (4) SAFETY RULES and to mention one of them
(3) KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER AND OUTSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD UNTIL YOU ARE ON TARGET AND HAVE MADE THE DECISION TO SHOOT !

OBEY YOUR STATE LAWS. ALL OF THEM! AND DO NOT STOP TRAINING.

2 Likes

Can I wish that it was the Male Chauvinist Gentleman that had the Slide Bite??? There are many great female shooters and instructors out there. If he’d realize that then maybe someone wouldn’t have got hurt on the range.

2 Likes

When he wasn’t around, the women all asked if they could come back and shoot with me :rofl:

3 Likes

We really need to work on more buttons. IE: Instead of just a Red Thumbs up, a LOVE button, a DISLIKE button and maybe a LMAO button. :rofl:

5 Likes

We’re got that in the works, @NJStraightShooter :wink: can’t give you an exact timeline, but the tech is underway!

2 Likes