Rookie gun owner

Just wanted to chime in and say hi! I just recently purchased 2 glocks and am already signed up for several classes. I also signed up to be a USCCA member and have been watching lots of videos and reading what I can. Thx to those who read this! And for any other advice anyone more experienced can offer a rookie :slight_smile: TTFN

40 Likes

Welcome to the community!
What model glocks did you pick?

4 Likes

You’re in a good place, @Kathy25 . We were all rookies at one time.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @Kathy25 glad to have you here.
What classes have you signed up for?

3 Likes

Welcome

3 Likes

Learn and know the four rules of firearm safety. Learn the correct basic terminology regarding the parts of your firearms. Practice, practice, practice until shooting is innate and comfortable, then keep practicing.

If you plan on CC, start at home until you are comfortable with carrying. Never get complacent, the four rules are what keeps us, and others, safe.

You will likely go through at least a few holsters until you find the “right” one. Likely you will then find the “right” gun and go through the process again. You also will likely change carry guns as you become more comfortable and familiar with firearms.

Practice situational awareness, you will begin to see things you were not aware of previously. Trust your gut, avoidance is the best way to “win”. One always wins the encounter one did not have.

Learn the laws of your state so you are aware and comfortable that you are not breaking any firearm laws while carrying.

Always verify statements of others about firearm laws and regulations - always do your own research. Start with the state police, AG, and the state and federal laws, and ATF. You will find a lot of “facts” are myths/untrue, and that both sides, those pro and anti rights, at times believe the same “facts”.

Most important, keep shooting fun. Don’t make it a chore. You will then keep at it. Fun is infectious, get friends and family to join you at the range.

Good luck on your journey.

19 Likes

Congratulations on 2 Glocks. 'Cuz two is one and one is none, except for Glocks where two is two and every gun deserves a friend.

8 Likes

Welcome to the Community!

15 Likes

Welcome @Kathy25!

3 Likes

Welcome aboard! 2 Glocks Akimbo! Twice the fun!
Stay safe and watch your six!

1 Like

I got 2 glock 17’s

6 Likes

That’s funny - this is exactly what I pictured!!!

2 Likes

Basicly new owner classes. My 1st one is a private lesson tomorrow with a female instructor at the glock store that i bought my firearms at. Another one in a week for self defense and the next day after that i signed up for one for women only at a closer range to where i live.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Kat

10 Likes

@Kathy25 , welcome to the Community.
:handshake:

So…you bought Glock… :thinking: Oh, no…Glocks :face_with_peeking_eye:

I have no more words than welcome…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Ok… I’m kidding. In few days spent here you will find out how much I hate Glocks… :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck with your training and I hope you stop be a rookie soon. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I’m sorry! Gotta start somewhere tho right? I’ve heard they’re very reliable. What is your preferred weapon?

4 Likes

Welcome to our family. I’m always happy to welcome new gun owners. Ask any questions you may have, if you don’t want to go public PM someone. We are all learning everyday.

3 Likes

Hey, Glock is good, no problems there. Spend some time with your new tools, take them a part, clean and lube. Go to the range shoot as often as you can. Practice, draw, target site, re holster… But be very carful, once the bug bites you will HAVE TO buy more…

7 Likes

Good luck with your new Glocks. I wish you all the best. I have nothing against Glock even for first time gun owners. I only hope you learn how to use it safely before you put ammo in it. It is not just learning to shoot. It is about learning to be safe and being responsibly armed.

3 Likes

That’s exactly why i’ve signed up for several classes and have been reading and watching lots of videos.

8 Likes

I’m sure you’re right :slight_smile: I’ve never tried a revolver so will likely get one of those at some point.

5 Likes