How many think a first time gun owner should get a Glock

Grip safety is OK whenever we have single action semi auto. Definitely not needed if thumb safety is in place.

4 Likes

Kurt17,I do understand what you mean,Thanks,personally I didnā€™t care for safetys but I been shooting a very long time.There is a place for them other than Cali.:smile:

3 Likes

Very True,Thanks

1 Like

With any brand pistol a new owner needs to understand how it functions.
I absolutely agree the main safety is the finger along with the brain controlling it.
Glock as a first pistol? Sure, but the market is flooded with different sizes, grips, triggers, safeties, and sights that could be a much better option for a new owner depending on their preference. If they insist on a pistol with a safety then they need to also consider if they plan on carrying chambered.

5 Likes

With double safety, is 1911 (thumb and grip) more safe than Glock? I donā€™t think so. Perhaps when carrying AIWB, additional safety to trigger one is a good option.
But extra safeties in 1911 doesnā€™t make it more safe than Glock or other striker fired pistol.
Even more, it can be more complicated in basic manipulations than Glock.

As already mentioned. Doesnā€™t matter what the firearm is.
You MUST know it before you start using it.

6 Likes

Rewind to nine years ago, if I bought a Block or a wheel gun, I would not have known anything about external safeties.
It could have forced me to put more emphasis on the rules of gun safety.

5 Likes

You are correct, a safety can be time consuming by seconds, YOU MUST KNOW YOUR GUNS. SAFETY FIRST, I personally donā€™t like any safety,My finger is my safety.

4 Likes

AMEN,I agree. Thank you for your response

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the reverse situation. Iā€™ve been so hard-wired to flip the safety when I shoot, that I get confused when Iā€™m firing a pistol without one. Luckily there are many options for different types of shooters like us.

4 Likes

Not a big Glock fan here but if thatā€™s all a new owner has to work with then by all means train with it to become SAFE and proficient until they can do otherwise. Not a GM fan AT ALL either but I would certainly drive or ride in one as opposed to walking. Better than shoe-leather express, if you will.

6 Likes

My first gun was a TZ-75 Model 88. It had a decocker, single action, double action and a safety. The gun store directed me towards it and it was actually pretty good advice to get it since it had a variety of features that allowed me to become comfortable with handguns in general. I had never fired a gun before and knew few that did. Currently though I think the best advice is to take someone shooting, let someone try what you have and allow them to look at and try others. Glocks whether you like them or hate them are arguably good guns, just like a 707 HP Hellcat Dodge Challenger is a good car but who would recommend that to a first time driver? Unlike the Hellcat though it may be a good choice, let the buyer decide with a little info on what is available.

5 Likes

Great, Great response, we agree :+1:, Thanks Christopher

2 Likes

Great, Thank You Wood

2 Likes

Great response, This is how the brain works,everyone should think about this response.

3 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more. Joining a community is one of the best things a gun owner can do.

5 Likes

Glock is a fine brand to own for the 1st gun. Field stripping it is so easyā€¦IMO it is important for someone new to guns to not develop distaste for cleaning the weapon.
Lack of external safeties as a point against Glock is debatable. I dont think it is a factor. But being able to modify every part of the gun to fit you is a definite pro.

7 Likes

It is an excellent gun, I happen to own a couple of them they are great.

2 Likes

Great advice :+1:

2 Likes

I think every ā€œfirst time gunā€ owner to be, should be introduced to the historical facets of the 75 year service of the 1911! A real manā€™s gun!
Yes Iā€™m a 1911 snob. Ok, stop screaming! My back up is a G43X.

Then move on to the plastic guns. I have nothing against Glock, but I think that before becoming a surgeon you should learn to diagnose the common cold.

That includes break down and servicing the weapon in the field. Although the 1911 may seem complicated, by the time we get to the Glock, itā€™s childā€™s play, ( poor choice of words ) relatively easy.

I think a first time gun owner should get what they want after renting and getting a feel for what they want to trust to save their life! Test drive.
Itā€™s not supposed to be easy or comfortable, itā€™s meant to be comforting and reliable.

10 Likes

Thanks Scott52, I also owe a 1911 and I love it, I also think that any gun that is reliable and dependable is a REAL MAN gun. Thank you

5 Likes