How many think a first time gun owner should get a Glock

I’m with you here. I was in the military, so flicking the safety is simply ingrained in me. Muscle memory. I’ve only got one with a manual safety (M18) and flicking that thing doesn’t take any thought. Admittedly, that experience is probably different for a first time gun owner - just one more thing to remember.

7 Likes

You don’t have a choice if your first time learning is in the military but you learn safety, so you’re good :+1:. Thank you Quade5

3 Likes

1st time gun owners should shop and ask questions. The caliber and size should be based on what the buyer is comfortable using. They should definitely talk to a fire arms instructor.

4 Likes

IMO, first gun has a decocker.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s just me but I find DA/SA to be a challenge to shoot. I recently acquired one but don’t feel comfortable enough with it to carry or stage for defensive purposes. I find the heavy first pull impacts my accuracy on the first shot and feel the light second pull after the heavy first pull might make it more likely I fire a second round before I am ready. I am sure I could train enough to get comfortable with it but think having to learn two different trigger pulls as a new shooter would be more difficult.

7 Likes

It’s not only you @Shamrock.
DA/SA pistols are not for everyone. Sometimes handling such pistol as a first firearm can be daunting.
Glock-ish… means striker fired pistol, is easy to handle and operate. Of course, it doesn’t fit every new shooter’s schema, but I bet most of new gun owners feel more comfortable shooting striker fired handguns.

7 Likes

Thanks Jerzy love the creative word (Glock-ish) if that means STRIKER, please allow me to use it in my daily vocabulary

4 Likes

You are welcome. :grinning:

For me term Glock-ish means any polymer striker fired handgun.
Not every polymer is a striker and not every striker is polymer.

So Glock-ish describes all firearms that are build the same way as Glock.

4 Likes

I agree. In our lesson plans, the USCCA considers SA/DA handguns as an intermediate skill level choice for new gun owners. Because of the reasons that you mentioned regarding the differences in trigger press and also because with certain models, the de-cocker lever can also be confusing when that same handgun also has a thumb safety.

Therefore, when I am working with clients that are brand new gun owners, I tend not to recommend a SA/DA handgun with de-cocker,

8 Likes

Thanks Jerzy

2 Likes

Great Frank73 totally :+1: agree, thanks

3 Likes

A ton of handguns have no manual safety. This is far from being a Glock thing.

And I think a first time gun owners should get what fits their situation, which may well be a Glock or any of the myriads other choices with the same manual of arms

3 Likes

Why. ?

2 Likes

My M&P is my first handgun and it doesn’t have a manual safety. Of course, I did a lot of researching and learning, rented several kinds at the range, and took some lessons from the range safety officer before i finally decided on it. I’m very mindful of handgun safety and always follow the 4 rules, so I’ve found that I’m pretty comfortable without it

7 Likes

You Bonzo are very wise. Thank you for your comment

3 Likes

I never try to persuade anyone to make their first gun a Glock, but I will explain the benefits I have seen in them, especially their simplicity. I own multiple types of handguns, but my Glocks are my favorite platform.

9 Likes

Exactly! Try before you buy. Before I went to the range for the first time, I looked through a plethora of options online and made a list of which guns I would like to try. I also watched a lot of YouTube videos on the different kinds of handguns and used the info from them to wittle my list down a bit. TBH a lot of my choices were based on, “Hey, that gun looks cool!” But when i actually handled and shot them, some of them didn’t feel right for me. How one looks and how one feels are two totally different things. It’s all about what you’re comfortable handling and what feels right for you

8 Likes

I agree with you Calvin, love my Glocks and my 1911.5".

7 Likes

What’s funny is the “right” first gun for me would not be my preferred carry anymore. An external safety made me a lot more comfortable carrying when I started.

Now that I understand the inner workings of a Glock, I feel more comfortable with a Glock than I do any other gun with a safety.

When someone inexperienced first starts shopping for a gun, they don’t really know what they’re going to really want down the road. I just think they should rent guns in the size gun they want, and buy what they can afford.

7 Likes

Interesting. I had not realized that over time, I’d change my EDC so often, until I settled for what I have now. So far, I’m comfortable. I think if I change it, that it would be if my budget allows for it.

Although, today, I don’t see me changing, just too happy with where I landed, in terms of needs.

Main point reflecting with you, is that first or even second fire-arm, are starters for a reason, and may be ideal, just for that, to ease into it, subject to change over time.

Trigger discipline.

Stay safe brothers and sisters.

6 Likes