To Glock or Not to Glock?

Thats the big question. I dont think ever has a brand been more talked about. You have fans like myself, or you just cant stand them… My question to both is why do you hate or relate to this brand? To some ugly,boxed,plastic,plastic sights,bad trigger feel…true to some but other guns are too! And police seem to like them. Personally i have 2. A 1st gen glock 17 compinsated has about 8000 rounds through it. And gen 4 glock 19 about 1000. So they work lol. Ok people give me the honest truth here!

8 Likes

I own three Glocks (17, 43, 43X). I like them because they fit my hands and I shoot them well. The smaller Glocks are easy to concealed carry, but I have CC’d the 17 successfully.

They are reliable - I have never had a failure in more than 1,500 rounds between the three guns.

5 Likes

Don’t own Glocks anymore. Grip angle was different from my preferred platform (1911). I did shoot a Gen 4 (I think), that was better in grip angle department.

Nothing really against them, just don’t care for them.

4 Likes

I own two - a Gen 1 G17 and more recently a G43 for my EDC, in addition to a Beretta 92F and a HK P7. Over the years, I’ve also owned Sigs and Rugers.

I ended up taking the G17 to the range the most. Reliable, accurate, easy to clean, etc. So I ended up most familiar with it. When it came to choosing an EDC, I went with the brand I was most comfortable with and got the G43.

2 Likes

Price, reliability, and more aftermarket accessories than any other brand of firearms.

8 Likes

I love them but don’t shoot them. I’ve owned several and tried hard to keep them, but they just don’t work for me. I love the reliability, I actually like the look, but I just don’t shoot them as well as other guns. When I’m asked about them I always speak highly of them despite my personal issues.

5 Likes

I am knew to this have not experience different guns types I have a g43- very happy with it especially now with the Mag extension - perfect

5 Likes

William Shakespeare would write another great drama about Glock… and we either… :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m very picky and when there was a time for the first handgun… Glock was first on NO WAY list :rofl:
Don’t get me wrong… I still don’t have nothing against… but in 24 hours I heard from hundreds advisers “get the Glock, get the Glock” … and that was NO for me right away… :confused:

I’ve been trying to shoot Glock anyway, but like everyone mentioned - grip is wrong (see - grip is wrong, not my hand :sweat_smile:).

I’m glad there is a handgun “different” from others, World would be boring if everything is the same.

I’m wondering if we already have poll on this Forum: who owns Glock, who doesn’t. :thinking:

8 Likes

To answer the title. You’re never wrong to glock, and you’re just not AS right not to glock.

My opinion is the only hate glock gets if from personal preference. I have never heard someone actually have a malfunction of the firearm WITH factory parts in it. Some upgrades cause problems and some ammo but never the gun.

Heard a saying not sure where it came from but it goes " I can’t hear what you’re saying because your actions are speaking louder". This may be a misquote and I don’t own the rights to the saying.

3 Likes

Pulled one off a prize table years ago. Never opened the box. Traded immediately. Like said before nothing against them, grip angle is wrong. My son shot a 35??? In competition for a few years with no trouble. Was the only Glock in the house. Grip angle is the only thing wrong, unless you like your point of aim to be high. Or train yourself for the different angle.

Craig

3 Likes

When I was looking for a .40 my local gun store counterman and gunsmith had me hold his 23 and it just didn’t feel right. I told him and he said wait a minute. He went in the back and brought out a 22 and handed it to me. It felt right and I bought it.

It is still the only Glock I own, I bought another one used and turned around and sold it for a slight profit the same week (I kept two extra OWB holsters and a mag).

Would I own another one? Maybe but not because it was a Glock, I am not tied to any brand name (it has to feel right). Before I accidentally drove my car into quick sand (barely made it out alive I tell ya) with all my firearms in it I used to have a lot of makes and models in different calibers.

Edited for spelling errors

4 Likes

Glocks R Great. Have a bunch of 'em. My first Glock (model 22) has been running flawless since 1992. My second model 22 from Gen 3, which is a daily carry, has been running flawless since 2002 and is the gun that I shoot more than any other. I don’t track it very close, but that one has to be pushing 20,000 rounds with 100% reliability. They look good, they feel good, and they shoot good.

As much as I like Glocks, I also like 1911s, SW M&Ps, wheel guns, muzzle-loading hand canons, pocket pistols, AR pistols, and even Taurus pistols. I have never been able to grasp the concept of being a total one-brand loyalist in the world of firearms.

5 Likes

Hey there @J.WoodSr, I’ve settled on this Glock G26 9mm. I laughed at these baby Glocks when they first came out and said I’d never consider one. I find I shoot this one the best. So after you have an idea of what you want go and find a place you can try one out before you buy.

Conceals/carries great, fits inside my same holster as G19/G23, has Glock factory metal night sights. These double stack 10rd plus 0 extended mags work great, you can also get these as +2 rd extensions. I have 4 of them with a 5th that has is a Glock factory mag with finger extension like a pierce style grip which is actually a bit shorter. I have it but don’t really like it or use it. I like using G19 mags as well, but these extended +0 mags still give me the added smidgeon of grip while having a better contour to conceal better.

I double under cut the trigger, Vickers tango down slide release, and a plus sized magazine release, it’s same size as a G21/G20 mag release so it gives a little more without being so annoyingly hanging way out there like an extended mag release that can accidentally release/drop a mag.

I have a number of Glocks compact and full size frames all Gen 3, 9mm, 40SW, and .45ACP. I like each one for different reasons. I’ve come to have the G26 for CCW and the G21 for home defense.

Now that is out of the way, I like Sigs if not love them. Yet I went all Glock so it would be easier for my wife, sons, and daughters to be able to learn how to use and be comfortable with.

With that being said, my sons like/prefer 1911s, and my oldest daughter prefers revolvers.

3 Likes

I had a Glock, but I suffered often from “slide bite.” If I drew from the holster and put two in the target, I’d have blood on my hand. Since then, Glock has made better grips and I don’t get bitten like before. However, I carry a Walther and a Ruger now, but the wife has the Glock 43 which she shoots well and doesn’t need an extended mag. It is simply a good gun.

4 Likes

I am sure they are fantastic weapons. I have handled and fired many of them. For me, they have never felt good in my hand. Something about my hand and the grip design I suppose. I tried to like them, but they just never felt right. If they did, I would probably own several of them. I am a Sig owner myself.

7 Likes

I often wondered the exact reason why Glocks are so popular, so I asked the Community last year. Here were the top 6 reasons by vote:

You can see the whole thread here: Glocks are popular, but why? ;) - #55 by Dawn

8 Likes

Glocks remind me of my early days as an IT consultant. Back in the late 1980s, it was said, “no one ever got fired for buying IBM equipment.”

The parallel here is that I feel Glocks are very reliable and suitable for many, if not most, shooters - especially new shooters. There are those for whom Glocks won’t fit or otherwise won’t work well.

8 Likes

Glocks are great. They shoot well, they’re reliable.
The only thing I don’t like is they’re too blocky. Harder to conceal than just about any other handgun I own.
I’ve carried them hunting, but rarely carried it concealed. A G22 with a streamlight is under the bed in the quick access safe, and it stays there when it’s not being shot.
Do I like them? Absolutely? Do I carry them? Not so much.

6 Likes

I’m very similar, I’ve got a Glock 19 that is a vehicle/home defense along with my church security gun. But my EDC is a Sig 365 because its easier to conceal and more comfortable.

5 Likes

Hard to conceal? Most all full size guns are. I wouldn’t try and conceal carry my Glock 17 or a 19. But you can’t even tell I am carrying my Glock 43 or a 26. Even with a tight tshirt. No one has ever said that they notice I carry. But anyone that knows me is aware there is no such thing as a gun free zone if I am around.

6 Likes