Glock Reliability

I am a USCCA Instructor, retired LEO and have been through Glock armorer school. Despite all of that, I am ambivalent towards Glocks as I have become a CZ fanatic.
One fact I cannot avoid though is the utter reliability of Glocks. I took a fellow instructors gun home so I could clean it for him and that led to me doing an armorer tear down. This gun had excess oil and an ungodly amount of carbon buildup inside. Additionally, it had a large amount of brass shavings in the firing pin channel. This build up may have disabled a lesser gun, but not this gun. The Glock was still running like a champ and now it will remain so for at least another 5000 rounds when I do its next tear down.

10 Likes

Being an M&P guy, I didn’t understand till recently how easy it was to remove all the parts from a Glock slide and deep clean it. I thought people were crazy when they said they did that every year.

I love my M&Ps but getting the firing pin block out requires removing the rear sights, and getting the extractor out requires a punch. All of which voids the S&W Warranty of course.

1 Like

It looks like it was never cleaned!

1 Like

It was field stripped, but never armorer stripped like I just did.

2 Likes

This is why I have been using Glocks since 1993, I have used many many brands and models of handgun, but I have always had a Glock to rely on.

I have several models that are around the 100,000rd mark as well as 1 of my 1911’s but that is a hand built custom. I had the pleasure of being a sponsored shooter for almost a decade and relied on Glock to gain my GM ranking. I know alot of people like to say they are ugly, feel like a brick and other things. That’s OK as I buy and use my equipment to be reliable and durable, not look pretty.

9 Likes

Glocks are the Energizer Bunny of the Firearms world… they keep going and going and going

5 Likes

Yes they do, now I will say I absolutely despise the gen4 9mm’s. I have had multiple samples and every single one had extraction and ejection issues.

I am a Gen 5 fan boy for sure. I think they are they most accurate and reliable Glocks to date.

3 Likes

Sadly you can’t get Gen 5s in CA. I still have G3’s and have NEVER had an issue with them.

4 Likes

Gen 4, over 2,000 through it with no problems

4 Likes

@Karacal glad to hear it, mine were atrocious, love my Gen 5’s, my luck Glock will release a Gen6 soon.

1 Like

G4 19 and a 43 for store bought Glocks, both run well, have tinkered with them as I am prone to do, for better and for worse. I have had an occasional stovepipe (thinking ammo related), and get brass to face issues which makes looking in the mirror somewhat entertaining after a session. I’ve built 5 P80’s which helped understand how a Glock works, and which became an addiction for awhile, before my state frowned upon freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. They taught me “ammo matters” as they require hotter stuff to break in, NATO or +p, 1200 fps Fiocci etc…
That being said, in my circumstances, not living in a sand pit, my Beretta M9 and Springfield 1911 are tied for the lead with absolutely no ftf or fte issues. I think .45 acp is a more reliable round than 9mm which would explain my P80 G21 clone, the M&P .45C, and the 1911 being absolute “perfection” thus far.

2 Likes

It’s your Gen 4 that is the problem, the Gen 3’s and 5’s don’t eject brass to face, it can get so bad it will cause a double feed. I actually use to believe the same thing about 45 auto but with what I have read and having put multiple samples around 100,000 rds, I have to say 9mm is more inherently feed reliable. 9mm also has a tapered case which enhances the feeding of the round.

1 Like

Ironically, the fix for P80’s brass to face issue is to exchange the standard gen 3 ejector for a gen 4. P80’s are gen 3 compatible 80 percent frames, and the frame and slide hardware kits, whether aftermarket or oem, are gen 3. Ejectors are interchangeable, just a slight difference in angle between them. It’s funny, as my factory 19.4 will eject to the face, whereas my 19 clone with a gen 4 ejector doesn’t.

Never had a double feed. Maybe 3 stovepipes in not sure how many rounds, maybe 3k on the 19…and I’ve played with springs and rods. Only double feeds I got was due to worn lips on M14 and mini14 mags. When they go bad, it’s like hitting a gusher lol.

1 Like

If you have access to an ultrasonic gun cleaner, you may be able to get a lot of the hidden gunk out without need for a tear down. That is my next expenditure

1 Like

Lol, I didn’t know you could own an envelope opener let alone a Glock in Cali.

1 Like

Flawless .(All the way back to Gen 1 (before there were any “generations”)

All except my newer 19 are Gen 4 and never had a problem with any of them except which one to carry. Just like an armorer, I’m a certified gunsmith and after every session I break mine down and do a through cleaning. The only ones I ever had a problem with was my dept’s service M&P 45’s, that was one of the reasons they switched to the Glock 17’s for patrol, 34 for special, and the 19 for detectives.

1 Like

And only state authorized, inspected and safety certified letter openers. The letter openers have to be gender free, ethnicity free, free range organic letter openers

3 Likes

You forgot carbon neutral, and made of recyclable material. :grinning:

2 Likes