Warranty Work

Has anyone recently shipped a firearm to
the manufacturer for warranty work? Specifically, S&W. If so, how long was the turnaround time from shipping back to repair to received back? I know it’s dependent amount of work or complexity of the issue. Just trying to get an overall perspective of what I’m up against.

Thank you!

6 Likes

Cannot say by myself, but few friends of mine reported this (M&P pistols)

• 4 weeks ( thumb safety problem )
  • 3 weeks ( sights replacement )
  • 3 weeks ( trigger problem )
  • 3 weeks ( failure to feed )
4 Likes

Thanks @Jerzees! I’ll follow up to this message throughout the process.

3 Likes

I have shipped to S&W for warranty work. It was a mostly pleasant, hassle free experience. I was without my firearm for about six weeks from start to finish.

4 Likes

It was several years ago, but I sent in my Smith M&PC in because the night sight vials fell out… Asked them if they could help with the trigger. Took about a week and a half, 2 weeks, I got the gun back with a much better trigger. They replaced the night sights with some that had expired. They offered to have me send it back again, but I did not. Sold it.

So, my experience is it is free, pretty dang fast, they resolved an issue, but sent it back with another issue.

Hope they get you fixed up right!

3 Likes

To Taurus- 65 days. :roll_eyes: To Beretta U.S.A. 30 days.

2 Likes

I void the warranty within 30 days of owning the pistol and then I AM the warranty. Other than my collectables I think there are only two handguns I haven’t been inside and they are both revolvers, a Dan Wesson 4" and my Dad’s 41 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk that he carried in Vietnam. Never been a fan of S&W they just have too many moving parts that don’t need to be there to get the job done, JMHO.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

Only firearm I sent in was a Kahr in 40 for issues with returning to battery and accuracy. It took a little over a month from leaving my hands to back in my hands. Service communication over the phone was… confusing. The issues seem fixed, but I haven’t put too many rounds through it since it came back.

3 Likes

6 weeks.

2 Likes

Hey Marrio,

My favorite EDC is my SCCY CPX-2. I get belittled for carrying it regularly. It’s a “cheap gun.” But allow me to share. I’ve owned it for over 3 years, have shot 2,500+ problem-free rounds through it. It’s been reliable and robust. About two months ago the extractor broke. I called SCCY customer service. They promptly provided an RMA, I shipped the firearm to the factory, and received it back 7 calendar days later. At no cost to myself.

But it gets better. They not only replaced the extractor, but also provided a new barrel, an updated trigger assembly, a new firing pin + spring assembly. The gun feels like a new gun, and the notoriously tough 9-lb trigger is much easier to live with.

So, in my world a one-week turnaround is reasonable. Not sure what other mfg’s are capable of.

3 Likes

Unrelated brothers and sisters, but for me, I learned the hard way, that if my local gun shop offers a reasonable warranty service, I ought buy it. One shop I patronize has this offer:

If I “purchase through them” and “not from an outside company” like Gunbroker per se, then “the shop will order the firearm”, and when it arrives to them, as long as I purchased their warranty, then any future repairs are free, life time, and it only costs me a one time $25 per firearm. “Had to buy the warranty upon purchase of the firearm” (before or at the moment of pick up). I used it before, and it worked well for me. No additional costs at all. I also had the option to send my firearm to the manufacturer under their warranty as well.

Catch is, they only had one shop, but it was near my home. However, I do realize some makers, like S&W, can offer free repair, but I have not used them yet to compare, such as on shipping costs, IDK. So for me, next time, I will ask my shop about their warranties.

Great post topic Marrio.

2 Likes

I sent a pistol off to Ruger on Monday via 2 day shipping and just got a notification that they are sending it back today (Thursday). So it was likely at their shop for less than a day! Sure hope they fixed it since it was having some significant issues. Perhaps they were common issues so they knew exactly what to replace?

5 Likes

Sent mine to S/W was early in the recall, less than 2 weeks, had a back up.
great service.
Rich (in name only)

2 Likes

Ruger Mini 14…3 weeks and got a brand new gun.
Mossberg MVP, 5 day turnaround and fixed the first time, second time I sent the trigger, got it sent back denying any issue. TBH, it may have been overtightened screws, but putting a new Timney in was a solution, and I’ve learned to clean that bolt clean to keep from ftf’ing.
NewFrontierArmory…after talking to their gunsmith, I decided my AR wasn’t leaving my sight, and fixed it myself.

1 Like

That was how mine worked then had to send back due other problems took ten days to get repaired and receive back.

1 Like

Rifle shipped back to manufacturer this morning. Man, it felt like I was dropping off my child somewhere for he first told me. I nearly cried in the parking lot. :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

1 Like

Beretta.
4 weeks.
Hardest part was trying to figure out the shipping rules.

1 Like

6/1 Contacted S&W and received shipping label
6/4 Rifle shipped via FedEx Ground
6/9 Notice of receipt from S&W
6/16 Notice of return shipment from FedEx
6/19 Rifle delivered back to me today

3 Likes

I have experience with S & W. Whatever you do, tell them that you were shooting factory ammunition.

1 Like

I had a Ruger SP101 that was FUBAR right out of the box. Sent it in. Ruger telephoned me to advise me that there was a multitude of problems with the gun; would they mind if they sent me a new one…which they did. The whole process took about 2-weeks.

2 Likes