Friday Fun: Distraction from Current Events

Road trip, build something, work on my alcohol collection (I don’t drink, essentially).

Mostly I spend time with my Fiancé.

1 Like

I agree, I walked around an old town admiring the old buildings, their architectural uses and old school utility design. And, it’s a nice fresh air walk🙂

2 Likes

Since I can’t reload right now, I am making you tube videos on cooking. I am starting out with curing and smoking salmon. It is called, “culinary avatar” and I am still trying to figure things out. It is keeping me busy.

2 Likes

Come to minneapolis, lots of abandoned buildings. Lol

1 Like

Old abandoned buildings. Not buildings recently abandoned because a wild pack of animals decided to overrun part of your city.

I used to love being in Minneapolis when I was there about 21 years ago. A buddy of mine lived there and I happened to be there for work so we got to hang out for a while and he took me all over. I was there again for work in 2010 and the city changed so much over the course of those 10 years alone. I wouldn’t want to go back now and see the destruction of a once beautiful city.

2 Likes

That’s nice too. Especially when you find a ghost town and you can explore the entire town and all the buildings. It’s amazing - you’re the only one there now but at some point it was a hub-bub of activity - people running errands, kids going to school, people manning the stores. Those are some of the things that go through my head when I’m out and about.

I little over a year and a half ago I was in an abandoned asylum - talk about sensory overload. Walking through that building and you’re thinking about how primitive medicine was 50, 60, 70 years ago and what went on in some of those rooms. Then on top of it you know there’s going to be spiritual activity in those places, so if you’re attuned to it, you pick up on that as well as all of the other feelings…special stuff. That’s why I like doing stuff like this.

2 Likes

All good suggestions… I stopped listening to current events/podcasts Friday morning. I started watching Fox Sports Undisputed with Skip & Shannon. So, dreams of my 49ERS somehow acquiring QB Deshawn Watson from Houston was the distraction I needed.

I do have a rifle that needs to be sighted but I go to the range on the earlier days of the week (to avoid the crowd). Plus, been getting a weird vibe there my last 2 trips. 🤷🏾

:v:t5:

@JoeC and maybe @Heather16 ya’ll might like this youtube channel. Guy bought an abandoned mining town…

Whereabouts are the abandoned buildings? Would like to check them out. I am out in the 'burbs.

Sporting Clays and 5-stand with friends.

2 Likes

Yes, tactile empathy… some people are more sensitive to feeling that. It’s helpful for situational awareness or even negotiating with Live people :grin:

Jerome is my favorite ghost town of the West! It was known as the city of hold and the wildest town of the west. The railroad workers found coal in the Arizona mountains and built housing on steep cliffs with thousands of miles of an aerial view of the painted desert with roads, building or people to look out to. Can can girls were sent to please the miners and cowboys like Billy the Kid. The old hospital/insane asylum is nowadays hotel.

The cowboys have double handle old fashion revolver shootout contests once a month. Horse back riding while shooting targets too!

Amazing to feel history:

2 Likes

I love that “cooking avatar”! What do you like to cook?

Interesting pictures, Heather. That store on the bottom is definitely open, more than half the building is open! It’s interesting to see the juxtaposition of the old, crumbly building slowly falling away with a newer looking gas meter in front of it, lol.

Did you know the can-can dance was so salacious back then because the dancers never wore any underwear?

2 Likes

Just tinkering around in the yard here. Visiting family who are all walking distance away

Completely unrelated to firearms, but pics/vids to ponder!

Motorcycle nirvana.

Amazing tire tech.

Two up rides are awesome.

Ulrichtwolupasd

Some incredible passing moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS-Gvq4fcxw

2 Likes

Northwest cuisine, Classic French, Cajun/ Creole, Chinese regional, Japanese, American regional, German, and Norwegian cuisine. Just as long as it is good food

3 Likes

I think by looking at that dish you could beat Bobby Flag using Beyond meat and a can of tamales :grinning:

1 Like

Things are slowly coming together for my hot rod’s new motor. Got it back from the machine shop in November 351W bored 30 over so now its a 357W (I love how math works out). Got the piston rings cut in December and installed in the slugs but had to wait till after Merry HoHo to order the rest of the parts for the bottom end. They shipped yesterday. Now I have to get a day off where it’s at least mildly nice so I can scrubby the block prior to instal. Then it’s time to pick a cam and get it all together. I have new night sights for my RIA build that need to go on as well as a throat and ramp job of the same and I need to swap out some internals to get it up from 3.0 lbs on the happy switch. Got a Glock 43X (Yes I am now a Glock owner) that needs a new control lever and a full polish job. My boy has yanked the motor out o his Subaru so there is time dedicated to helping him. The major portion of being a Dad is being Grumpy and Knowing Stuff. Have been mildly successful in touring Bourbon Distilleries for the VA Burbon trail. We missed the T-shirts last year because we started in September and you have to hit 10 before the end of the year. Ssshhhh don’t tell them but none of the stamps used are date marked or color coded :sunglasses:

@Todd30 You may make me start watching U Tube. I’m a food nut. I’m partial to Guy Feirie as he is irreverent and seems to have a lot of fun, His dive Tacorito here kinda sux tho.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Sweet. Thats what I do also. Cook. I love to cook. I have been into making cheeses and charcuterie for years. Capicola, hams, feta, blue cheese… Also have 4 or 5 grills and smokers however a few years ago I bought one of the REC Tec pellet grills with a PID thermostat and havent turned back.

What is your cooking channel called?

2 Likes
2 Likes