Friday Fun: Distraction from Current Events

This is the PDF of the map and distilleries that you can get stamped. Go to one and they will have the map and will stamp it for you. We didn’t know it existed until we went to River Hill Distillery (still the best un-aged corn squeezing’s I have found) while we were visiting the Luray Caverns, hit two more on the way home.

file:///C:/Users/computer/AppData/Local/Temp/Virginia-Spirits-Trail_DOWNLOAD.pdf

This is the web site

https://www.virginiaspirits.org/

COVID has screwed things up a bit and Ralphy Boy keeps changing the rules so call ahead but I do heartily endorse the experiences. If you get the chance got to 8 Shires in Williamsburg they have a great story to tell and make bourbon as close to possible as it was made in the 1600’s with the settlers. They even have a $1200 bottle of bourbon that was made from 10 gallons of water taken from a capped off well from the 1608. While my wife and I were there a high roller came in and bought 2 bottles of 1608 after the tour and kabitzing. Our tour group all got one glass, WOW, JUST WOW!!! is all I can say, never tasted anything like it before or since, it’s all in the water.

If you get down this way give me a shout I’d enjoy a meet up, Tarnished Truth is at the Beach and there are several others near here. We are still trying to figure out who makes Navy Proof Gin, we hit the Bourbon, BBQ and Bacon fest prior to COVID and there was one company that had Navy Proof Gin haven’t been able to find it since and lost the card.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Thank you! May I have the chance some day!

2 Likes

I had no idea this was a thing. I know wine and micro-brews in VA has been growing, but this is wow!

2 Likes

It is a very real thing and not only do you learn stuff you get to taste stuff which unfortunately leads to you buying stuff. Most bottles go for $50 - 60 in the shop, some higher. There is a 3 oz limit in the tasting rooms so your not going to get hammered but if you slice it up right you can get a good sample of several different choices. Some places have per-selected choices while others let you choose how to fill your “flight”.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Ciders too! One place down in the Virginia brewery route serves the best pina coladas made with hard cider😁

2 Likes

Yum! Classes please and… shooting for desert🥳

1 Like

Culinary Avatar - You Tube

I have been brewing beer for about 10 years now. I have a good amount of my own recipes from Green tea pale ale to Irish red stout. I love brewing beer but, I do not drink the beer but I taste it. I f I could bottle it into 6 oz. bottles I would be good to go.

2 Likes

I am late to the party; just discovered this thread. I was totally unfamiliar with the term Navy Strength Gin, but I found the history of it interesting. I only found two Navy Strength Gins produced in Virginia; Battle Standard 142 Gin Navy Strength, and Ua Navy Gin. They are both available at Virginia ABC stores. The former is from KO Distilling in Manassas, the latter from James River Distillery in Richmond.

@Dave17 thank you very much! I did find the Navy Strength Gin at the Richmond show a month or so back, it was the Battle Standard and I was able to secure a secret bottle for some yet to be determined surprise for the wife.

Cheers,

Craig6

I guess my distraction is riding my Harley. Its probably the only activity that totally holds my attention. It also allows for great scenic and wind therapy

3 Likes

Having the grandbaby for a week, it’s refreshing for the mind and soul watching the world thru the mind and eyes of a child. Hard on the old bod tho, chasing her around the yard. :grin:

2 Likes

You go that right. I told my HH6 that raising kids is definitely for younger folks. All of our grand kids at present are just about grown. My 2 sons are about ready to start the cycle all over

1 Like