Non-firearm hobbies

Just for fun.

This forum generally exists for firearm and safety issues. An outsider looking in might see an illusion that we do nothing but play with guns all day.

What kinds of hobbies do you all have that don’t involve firearms? How do you spend your time when you’re not hiding in the basement reloading ammo or practicing dry-fire drills?

10 Likes

Like the change of pace topic!

Mostly family time these days - hiking, exploring, biking etc. With some travel, camping, reading and occasional relaxing TV time thrown in. Unless I’m working which usually also involves a lot of travel, hiking, exploring and camping for me:)

6 Likes

@Shamrock I’m curious, if you don’t mind sharing, what line of work are you in that involves hiking, exploring, and camping? Sounds like you made better life choices than I did.

2 Likes

There may already be a topic like this one, but “one more” is the right number!

I coach for a few track day groups.

11 Likes

My other hobbies beyond firearms are equally expensive: Golf, Fine Cigars, & Single Malt Scotch. That’s why I work!

11 Likes

My convoluted life choices lead to a very interesting but not very economically viable lifestyle that allowed me to see a lot of very interesting places over the past two decades.

I have been able to cash in on all that wandering though over the past couple years working as an environmental consultant. Mostly get hired by energy companies to help keep them in compliance with environmental regulations. And yes some are excessive but many are needed if you are one of those nut jobs that likes to hunt, fish, drink clean water or breath non toxic air.

The work is still unpredictable and sometimes dull but always lucrative and more often than not takes place in remote and interesting areas.

5 Likes

SWPPP
Done many of them.
Hydrology FIRM Map Revisions
Civil Engineering covers a lot of territory.

2 Likes

I just got done making a Mission style table. I do a variety of wood work. A gun cabinet is next. I also brew beer and I have been doing this for 15 years now. Gardening too, a chef likes to grow his food so it is fresh.

6 Likes

Cigars, Whiskeys, Whiskys, and Bourbons.

9 Likes

Hiking, biking, fishing, camping. We(me, wife, and son) are going to rent some kayaks and see if we like it enough to buy kayaks. We are only 5 minutes from Rend Lake, which has all of the activities listed above.

8 Likes

Bourbons, Ryes, State Parks, and Photography.

6 Likes

Soccer and books… lots of books.

then: hiking, biking, walking, swimming… ing…ing…and good rum and cognac drinking.

4 Likes

Anything outdoors.

4 Likes

I’ve made VA healthcare a hobby. They keep me on my toes. I’ve just decided to read the Star Wars novels. Loading ammo was supposed to be my new hobby but I still need to set up my room.

3 Likes

Nice @KillJoy

1 Like

well my first and most favorite hobby other than guns is avoiding the wife. lol No really it’s fishing. Do some much with the body all week with work, honey do list and just things around the house. Fishing for me is relaxing to me, just a lil time alone.

2 Likes

Cigars, bourbon, trying to figure out scotch & balisong. Read a lot these days. Training evil dog. Follow some you tube.

2 Likes

PRIORITIES BROTHER!!! Get that room fixed up! and I liked the books better myself. Even though, the movies were good! Thats it!!! I am going to go reload now!

1 Like

I have a few non-gun related interests.

Music. I have beginner piano and guitar skills, currently the oldest enrollee in piano class.
Basketball. Just shooting around.
Motorcycle. I ride to work and on weekends when weather is good.

4 Likes

Reading, mostly audiobooks these days; tinkering in my shop, repairing things, crude woodworking. Right now I’m sewing myself some summer shirts, mostly out of linen left over from my former life of sewing professionally for 18th-19th century reenactors. One of these days I’ll come up with a good pattern for trousers that actually fit me. We also do a little “ghost hunting”, for lack of a better term, often in old, country cemeteries found on sketchy gravel roads or in odd corners of abandoned strip mines.

4 Likes