Other Money Pits/Hobbies

I have been riding motorcycles since May 1964 Street and Dirt. I now have the 1935 Ford Hot Rod with over 100,000 miles that I have put on it, had Corvettes before. I also have two Polaris Slingshots, one with 102,000 miles and the other just 12,000 miles and of course the token Harley with 20,000 miles and has not been out of the Playroom in two years. I have had the Playroom (26x36) since around 1983 to work on the dirt bikes, surround sound/TV’s heat and air, way before they ever came up with the Man Cave. Oh! I forgot you already know about the GUN’s

3 Likes

A fun topic, of course in addition to firearms, hunting, blacksmithing, prepping, traveling, gardening, ranching.

3 Likes

73 years old and cannot do it all anymore trying to thin things out.

1 Like

LOL. You should call American Pickers. Maybe you could be on TV. :rofl:
(Sorry, was just watching them) :+1:

1 Like

Amateur Radio(portable), mountain biking, riding the Harley, and backwoods camping. All outside themed. LOL

1 Like

Axe’s, Knives, Swords and Tomahawks. Anything with an edge. I guessing I have 100 various edged weapons and tools. :crossed_swords: :dagger: :axe:
I like to refurbish old knives and create my own. All are working tools, no fakes or fantasy. :+1:

4 Likes

I’ve taken up basket weaving, knitting, and plucking gray hairs which was a bad choice as I’m now hairless and scare the neighborhood children. Ok, none of that is true :wink:

My “at home” hobbies include woodworking, leatherworking, knife making, and lately axe throwing/knife throwing for pure fun.

Outside hobbies include Scuba Diving, Mountain Biking (though most of it’s easier trails now), rock climbing (nothing over 5.10), camping, and hiking. (guns too are a given)

My hobbies are all pretty cheap compared to what some of you throw down on off road motorcycles and cars.

4 Likes

I’ve reached the age where I’m doing my best to spend all my reserves so the kids will not have anything to argue over when I’m taking my dirt nap. Before this it was too many boats, jeeps, and trucks, which supported too much hunting, fishing, diving, etc.

4 Likes

I told my two boys that the perfect retirement was to have one dollar left in the checking account when I die.

4 Likes

My hobbies other than going to the range to shoot my M1A Scout Squad and my Colt 45 ACP, is model railroading, building model military dioramas, and wood working.

2 Likes

Riding ATV’s. I’m between machines at the moment. Been to busy to ride much anyway. Now that my son is a little older, and my wife and I have more disposable income, it’s about time to get a couple of wheelers. I grew up riding Big Reds and 200/350X Hondas. This time, will probably be a Polaris Sportman Touring.

1 Like

Motorcycles for sure. I spend most of the time at the track coaching at track days and addional non-working time on street rides.

1 Like

Being a chef, I got into brewing beer. To build flavors and balancing all the grains and extras and coming up with beer flavors that are deep in flavors with complexities. I have done a green tea pale ale, sour apple wheat beer with raspberry, a heavy lager that I call Lumberjack, Irish red ale in form of a stout. Maintaining good sanitation as I go and fermenting then bottling is actually fun. Coming up with cool labels is another fun thing to do. The only problem was I do not drink. I will taste it in a 6 ounce glass but thats it. I have friends who are willing to help me out but at the end of the day I am not making any money on it and I do not drink it. It has made for some good presents for people on their birthday or Christmas. I usually take about two months from start to finish. Definitely a money pit.

4 Likes

That’s pretty amazing @Todd30.
Camping, beginning in tents long ago, went to a simple pop up, now we like to RV in a vintage Ford Mallard (talk about a money pit). It’s fun and keeps my mechanic skills sharp. I do enjoy owning and shooting guns and all that comes with that…of course.

2 Likes

You can see 3 of mine in this photo. Been lifting weights my entire adult life. Used to love waterskiing but lost interest as I got older- probably just as well, I wasn’t really that good, 5 @22 off is the best I remember. Sold the Nautiqe because neither boy was interested until my youngest bought a completion ski boat last year.

Last,but not least, spearfishing. A couple of injuries have kept me out of the water for a while, but I will be back in soon.

4 Likes

@Gary_H I sure do miss spearfishing myself. Both free diving and scuba. I preferred the pneumatics over the band guns, but either worked. Never could get the hang of the hand sling.

1 Like

Guns are my money pit right now, but if I ever finish putting my shop in order I have a new one in mind. I want to build a 1\2 scale “Franklin Press”, the type of wooden printing press contemporary to the time Ben Franklin was in business. Fully functional, of course, with all the accessories to produce printed material.

3 Likes

5 balls at 22 feet off is laying it down and hooking it at 36mph. kudos!
(ah yes, the memories of a misspent youth and someone else’s Nautique - they were also competition, SF bay area.)

1 Like

Thank you! I wasn’t sure anybody else would know what I was talking about. :+1:

I bought my Nautique used from Wade Cox father. Wade was barely a teenager at the time and already outskiing me. Mastercraft recognized his talent and sponsored them with a brand new boat so they did not need the Nautique any more. It was a great time to be skiing in Orlando. If I didn’t have somebody to go with me all I had to do was launch my boat at Lake Ivanhoe. There were always professional competition boat drivers hanging out that would drive my boat for me. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Guns are a fun and expensive hobby. I don’t have a lot of hobbies because I don’t have time to really have any hobbies but I do have one other.

Just like guns, pool cues can be an investment. All the cues you see in this picture we’re won. My hobby is to play people for cues. There are 24 on the two racks in the picture and I have one another 20 that you don’t see.that only took me three years to accomplish.

There are other things some people call my hobbies. Guns and Cues are my passion.

4 Likes