Other Money Pits/Hobbies

When it comes to money pits the only one I don’t have is a boat. This is my latest passion. I’ve always been a car guy used to street race for titles before I graduated High School. My bud and I built a 1969 GTO out of 7 wrecked cars over one summer after work. That car was STUPID fast. My first REAL car was a 1977 T-Bird that my step father sold me for $1500. After that I began my love affair with 4 X 4 trucks. There I was surfing around on Craig’s list one day … and there she was … long, sleek, black as the ace of spades and I fell in love. I told my wife that I was in love, then SHE made me go look at the car. As we turned onto the street the sun was shining on her and I heard from the passenger seat “Oh crap.”

1977 Ranchero 500, 351 Windsor power plant that is in the process of being swapped as we speak to a 357 Windsor (Bored 30 over 1995 roller block) with a 3 speed FMX that will also be swapped with a 1991 AOD to give me that overdrive gearing for the highway. It was the best of both worlds, the front end of my 77 T-Bird and a pickup bed. I would have never thought to black out a car totally in gloss black but the PO did a fair good job. Once I get the motor built and the trans updated I’ll put it all back together to include the 95 serpentine belt, hydro boost brakes and some day AC. Hoping to get the motor and trans in by spring for summer cruzing season.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Well if we’re adding money pits. This is my father in laws truck I bought off of him. He was the original owner. Just got done rewiring and painting it. Rattle Canned the whole thing. Updated to 2002 front suspension, under the hood is the original 7.3 international diesel with an upgraded electric fuel pump. 24 bolt military wheels and tires had to use 3 inch wheel spacers to make it turn.

I’ve got 2 boys we just took fall pictures with 3 generations of owners, seems that kids don’t get to drive grandpas truck like they used too.

8 Likes

Excellent truck…

VENT WINDOWS !!!

1 Like

Yeah old school A/C

2 Likes

I like the way you roll. International motor… glow plugs no computer? I’ve got a spare 72 dizzy for mine with brandy new points and spares.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Craig6 yeah no computer, no turbo, all torque and no top end. Lol. It can’t get out of its own way but it’d rip my house off the foundation.

I don’t take long road trips in it but it’s still a work horse.

Luckily my wife loves it as much as I do so cleaning it up wasn’t a fight. I had that bad batch of ford grey that peeled real bad. Sanded it down primed and painted it. The roof and all the black(wheels included) have bedliner and paint

1 Like

@Sheepdog556 You have the ultimate prepper truck, but you already know that. I’m not sure if you have a 10.5" Sterling rear end or a Ford 9" but gears are easy to swap and/or not to expensive to have swapped. There are also upgrades for your AOD trans unless you happen t have a stick in which case the back end is all you need to mess with. A gear change nets you more giddy up go and does nothing to your torque curve.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

@Craig6

It’s a F350 so Dana 60’s front and rear, it has the 4 speed automatic with tow mode and a granny speed transfer case

Wife just ok’d building a matching Bronco so we’ll be looking after the holidays

1 Like

I miss my vent windows…

Regret ever getting rid of my 1984… Vent window… and a dash that held my insulated coffee mug well… and a bench seat… whoo hoo.

2 Likes

I once had a dream hobby. I bought a 50 foot cabin cruiser. $8000 for a new shaft. Engine repair beyond my pay rate. I have been a diesel mechanic so, that was all on me. I refurbished the wheelhouse and berthing area with a king size bed and a 55 inch T.V… Twin V-6 diesel engines. This here is the definition of a money pit. I was only able to take it out once before I sold it. $3000.00 for fuel for a day trip.

4 Likes

Mine doesn’t get much better fuel mileage but I can’t compete with a king bed and big screen

2 Likes

But, you have an 8 foot bed… and a tailgate :slight_smile:

1 Like

:rofl:I always said I couldn’t afford one if somebody gave me one, and then my father in law gave me his old 33’ Egg Harbor! It was in pretty bad shape with twin 318 Chrysler gas power. I made a 360 swap to pick up an extra 100 horses. Turns out another 100 horses didn’t do much except improve reliability and suck fuel down a whole lot faster. It burned almost 2 gallons per mile at 18 knots! I also sanded and painted it top to bottom, unbelievable how much surface area there is. Fortunately Hurricane Francis took it out in 2004 and I collected insurance money :grinning:

1 Like

Traveling! The goal is to become a nomad once the kids are gone!

1 Like

I paid $1000 for mine, Gave it to some missionaries going to micro Asia.

That was a really generous donation, good on you! :+1:

It felt so right, I was asking for $4000.00 but, when he told me what he was doing I asked him, " So, do you really want it?" He said yes so, I told him he could have it! He was taken by my response.

1 Like

Nautiques and Master Crafts are like a wet dream; torque-E as all get out and faithful forever. Sad part was, everyone was turning stock every year to keep up with taxes and in the good graces of their dealer. Good part was, what few boats were built always had a home. You musta been a tall one, I get a picture of Kris or Bob LaPoint stretching rope and seeing that handle blow off as you try for five and a half.

1 Like

I was wondering if we would get to see it… :grin:

Very Nice!

I’m into the jeep thing the last several years. Here’s my ‘drive it like you stole it’ 425+ hp, spool in the ass, tru-trac up front, twin stick, blah, blah, blah

3 Likes

I remember seeing the LaPoint brothers in magazines. I was fortunate to see both of them compete in person, but unfortunately towards the end of their reign. Andy Mapple (RIIP) and his future wife Denna Brush had become the up and coming champions by the time I moved to where I could watch competitions in person. I just recently gave my double high wrap HO (Herb " Cocaine" O’Brien) ski like Denna skied on to my son’s fiancé; the spray coming off that ski used to literally cut my calf until I got a neoprene shield for the rear leg.

Sammy and his sister Camille Duvall were also highly completive back then. My buddy had a flat tire on his American Skier trailer early one morning. Guess who saw him and helped him out - Camille Duvall! :+1: Those were good times …

1 Like