Other Money Pits/Hobbies

Oh man, I just did a deep dive into the early '80s. That was the generation I totally missed as I was in the Navy, started '78, and thinking about all things associated with my job. Sammy and Camille were the up and coming kids my age during the mid to late '70s. Kris was skiing events all over and we got to see him in the Berkeley Water Park. I went from Western Wood to Maharajah and ended on an EP Comp2. More often than not, I was the guy who face-planted when I hooked hard and landed past the second side of the wake. I never knew about the ah… special design requirements? of the O’briens. Though I read technically about them often during the years I was trying to figure out what would help eek out that extra ball. Who knew a hollow core which could have been blown foam inside a fiberglass ski with an aluminum top, was made of a concentrated plant extract instead?
Cheers!

1 Like

I had a Jeep with a V8. I recollect watching the needle on the gas gage go down while idling at stop lights,
A racehorse is a good money pit, tried that.
Classic cars—certainly(Model Ts, 1926 Buick, Morgan 4/4)
Boats, yeah. A parade of them. All that’s left is a Grumman Canoe which costs nothing to keep being armstrong powered.
The most fun money pits were a ragwing taildragger (PA-18 SuperCub) and a small horse ranch in the hills(the mortgage cost the same as tuition for my daughter at a prep school so it had to go)
Hobbies that are so inexpensive it’s embarrassing: hunting for and restoring old tools like axes, Disston hand saws and Coleman lanterns.

2 Likes