Car geeks

Just for fun…

What are some of the favorite cars you’ve driven? What automobiles are you saving up to buy? Anything special in your garage or on your bucket list? Any brand loyalties?

(Apologies if there was a previous thread on this. I searched for “car” and found topics about “carry,” and I search for “auto” and got… well, you know.)

2 Likes

‘69 Chevelle was my favorite car. Wish I’d never sold it. Had Doug Thorley tri-y headers on it.

6 Likes

66 Mustang, just the basic model. Always wanted a 57 Belair. Brand Loyalty I guess would be Dodge/Ram trucks

5 Likes

My wife wants me to help her build a 76 trans-am, but I’m waiting for her to be ready. I would love to have a little time to restore a 71 Chevelle SS. I restored one in college, but would love one for myself.

5 Likes

1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport. It would hit 120 with little effort. But only got 9 mpg on leaded ethyl. Wish I still had it…

3 Likes

“Favorite” a toss up between '64 Vette and '55 T-Bird.

4 Likes

Love my old Subaru Legacys. No need for more power…or weight!

3 Likes

The first vehicle I ever bought was a well used 1973 Cutless S that I bought my junior year in high school for $500. It had captain swivel seats that had no way to adjust them other than sliding forward or rearward but they were the most comfortable car seats I’ve ever had.

I used to really like Subarus. Reliable for the most part, great in the snow and practical with decent MPGs. But the last one I owned stranded my wife and son in the desert when it died and wasn’t built as well as my others. Though it did make it to 210,000 miles before failing. But that is the lowest miles I’ve gotten out of a vehicle since that first Cutlass.

For work I go with Toyotas. 80% of the people I work with drive a Tacoma, 4Runner or Tundra. We often work well out of reach of tow trucks and they seem to be the most reliable off-road vehicles by far.

2 Likes

I remember when every block had at least one Knight Rider fan with a black Trans-Am in their driveway. I’m surprised I never see any, these days. I’m told it’s because they had a lot of reliability issues, but just based on sheer numbers, I thought I’d see some.

And kids like me are all grown up and have money, now. If GM would resurrect the Pontiac brand and release an updated KITT, folks like me would line up to buy one.

Ditto what I just said. I loved the Pontiac brand. I get so excited when I see someone driving one. I saw a real keen looking Pontiac Solstice this morning. I understand those looked better than they drove, but I still want one. That owner should be proud.

4 Likes

Yep, she wants an lsx, the gold honeycombs, black paint. Threw me for a loop with “instead of the regular gold bird, can it be rose gold?”.

2 Likes

It is unfortunate that every time they bring back a classic, it looks nothing like the classic :sob:

8 Likes

I miss my Subaru. I wish I hadn’t traded it in. It was older, back when it was still mechanical, balanced AWD. It didn’t look like much on the outside, but it got me out of a lot of bad decisions I made as a young driver. I swear there was no place that car couldn’t go. And I never had any mechanical issues beyond routine maintenance.

5 Likes

These were crazy popular when I was in high school. Though my rusty old Cutless S with its posi rear end and over sized rear wheels had no problem leaving them in the dust:)

5 Likes

My dad had a gold '80 trans am. When my parents got married, he sold it to pay for everything. I found one that matched the build sheet he had, called the guy, and went to buy it, but before I could get from Beaumont to Big Spring, it was sold.

3 Likes

My favorite was my 1971 Olds 442. Had to sell it due to the OPEC gas crunch as we could only get 5 gallons of gas every other day, and I couldn’t get to work and back on that :confused:

5 Likes

I have had two cars I wish I just held onto. The first one was a 64 Chevy Impala. It was baby blue and is now worth bank!
The second one is my 48 Willys Jeep! I should have never sold it!!

4 Likes

Oh, that sounds fantastic!

Then I got married so I sold it!

6 Likes

I had three until last week. Two is likely enough.

2 Likes

My LS1 4th gen Camaro with a ridiculously big cam, long tube headers, no cats, and dual exhaust with bullet mufflers dumped under the car. And a 4k stall speed Yank torque converter. As a daily driver while in college.

I go years without hearing a single car on the street that sounds as good as it (or is as loud as it)

5 Likes