Concealed Vs. Open Carry

Do you really believe that only these States can have non educated LEOs? Unfortunately they are everywhere. But I don’t blame them. They are only people, like you and me.
Please be fair and answer yourself - “do I know all the Gun Law in my State?”
I understand, it is not the same, we don’t need to know it in details, they should.
But even that they are still humans.
I’m OK with some rookie tries to be a “Police”, to keep his honor, but I hate the “sheriffs” who want to be Gods in their regions. But this has nothing to particular State (left or right, blue or red…or communist, like you named it).

BTW: “communist state” doesn’t have any sense in USA. You cannot apply communism to our system :wink:

2 Likes

Years ago I spent a lot of time in deer hunting and wood chucking in Vermont ( years ago). The hunting crew always had side arms on
( Not Concealed ) it wasn’t for self defense it was the thing to do when you went hunting. If you went out to breakfast a whole bunch of people would have side arms on that was in 1974 try doing that now. Before you could finish drinking your coffee you’d be hauled away by the Fuzz.
:us::us::us:

1 Like

I moved from VT about 10 years ago. Don’t remember all that many folks open carrying but some did. People also wouldn’t bat an eye if they saw a kid walking down the side of the road with a shotgun over their shoulder looking for some rabbits or squirrels.

Based on some of the recent laws passed there it seems that the push to Jersey VT is unfortunately succeeding:( Too bad since VT used to have the least restrictive gun laws in the country. They had Constitutional carry long before the term existed.

1 Like

that was in 1974 ++ haven’t been back in two dogs ages <<<
:us::us::us:

2 Likes

I was really surprised (not concerned, just surprised) when I saw this couple walking their dog in a park in Santa Fe last year. NM is a Constitutional Carry state for open carry, but I’d only seen open carry at the Capitol during conservative protest events before this. To put this in historical perspective, it was during a time that antifa riots were spiking across the country.

No one in the park seemed to have an issue, and while I was there, the police did not show up to question or detain the man.

2 Likes

Even before Constitutional carry in Kentucky, police could not detain you for open carry without reasonable suspicion or probable cause. Now that there is constitutional carry, the same is true of concealed carry. Police cannot stop you just because you are in possession of a deadly weapon unless they meet the reasonable suspicion standard set out in Terry v Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968), or they have probable cause to detain you.

3 Likes

I live in South Carolina, and Open Carry (with a CWP permit) becomes legal next month. I don’t anticipate a bunch of people starting to open carry. I still plan on carrying concealed. To me, it doesn’t make much sense to open carry in most situations when out in public. I would rather not be noticed, and it’s best to avoid that type of confrontation.

2 Likes

I’ve been in Columbus, Ohio for a couple of days. Open carry is legal here. Yet, I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing it. It seems to be a typical liberal, college town. So, concealed it shall be. If my hometown was open carry, I wouldn’t hesitate to do so there, along with most likely hundreds of others.

1 Like

The only people who are not heeled here in Richmond, VA are preschoolers.

1 Like

Here in Mississippi I pretty much assume that everyone is carrying which is actually comforting to me. We are a constitutional carry state but I do have the Enhanced Carry Permit for Reciprocity and also so I can carry in places the regular permit or permit-less does not allow. Like those Gun Free Zone signs at the door. I pay them no attention anymore.

2 Likes

@TheKid guess I need to pack things up here in Tennessee for the move. I have enhanced also but we can’t go in gun free zones.

1 Like

The list is very short where we can’t carry with enhanced and it is mainly places where you would expect; Federal bldgs/property, police and sheriff station, jail, prison, “place of nuisance”, Courthouse while trial in session, etc.

1 Like

And I love that about Mississippi, also have family there I visit once or twice a year.

1 Like

I’ve learned from many years in the line of work that many of these stories are often not true. Someone hears something then by the next person it changes and it keeps changing until everyone is getting arrested for open carry. I posted on a LE page I am on asking if anyone knew of anyone getting arrested for strictly Open Carry and none did. Not to say it has not happened of course but there are several thousand of is on this page. Now of the “open carry” person is acting disorderly in public or causing some kind of scene then I imagine this can happen. And a dismissal, especially in a very busy city court, does not often mean then was a problem with the case. It often means the prosecutors just do not want to move on with the case on an overloaded docket.

1 Like

I am a native Memphian. Grew up in Memphis. Glad TN finally got Constitutional Carry!

1 Like

Let me know next time you come down and we’ll grab a bite and go to the range for a while!

1 Like

Cool, I have family down that way too

1 Like

I live in Alabama in a community who could care less if you open carry. However I do not open carry in some places. I respect others chicken ■■■■ feelings about the matter and I abide.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother @Phillip93 , glad you could join us. I really do not like open carry myself.

Ok, Before i get the beat down for what i’m about to say , hear me out please. I live in PA and have been a licensed ccw carrier for approx. 15 yrs now, my preferred method of carry is open HOWEVER, i try to use good judgement and only carry as situations permit… With that being said, in PA open carry is legal.

I have family involved in LE, Military, Wife is a Paramedic, I am former Fire Fighter just for a bit of background, so my issue is that our society has been lied to and groomed to view LE and ANY Law abiding citizen that carries a firearm to be deemed the “bad guys”. Trust me i get that because LE never knows who has what and what they will do with it, but if the law allows it and is a Constitutional RIGHT, they why are we treated as the criminal? Now before i get the “open carry makes you a target” speach , in reality it is just as much a deterrent if government would stop padding gun violence numbers to meet their agendas.

As a criminal intending to rob a business and you walk in and see one or more people open carrying i am pretty sure you would take your chances on another day. I also agree there are occasions where it could make you a target but the argument that IS or DOES is not the full truth. I totally get the point of stealthiness but the bottom line of my point is that by telling folks that open carry is wrong …is no different that taking a perspective new gun owner to the gun store and saying “this is the gun you need”.

Just as a firearm is unique to the shooter so is their method of carry… it is a decision they have to decide on their own with facts and training not opinions. thank you

6 Likes