Concealed Vs. Open Carry

It has been my base line assumption since I was a young boy, because…where I grew up…it was true. All boys carried knives and/or chains. Most grown ups carried pistols. I was in 4 knife fights before I was 12 years old. I was shot by an active shooter when I was 16. I joined the National Guard at 17 and became an armed security guard at 19. I was in my 40’s before I realized that wasn’t normal.

1 Like

The only time I really open carry is when we are in the mountains. At that point I figure it doesn’t matter and I’m more being prepared fir wildlife then people. Even though I may not agree I know it makes some people uncomfortable and I would rather not be the flag carrier in the fight for the 2A in a grocery store.

1 Like

Those inconvenient clients… but they pay the bills… or hope they do.

In Virginia, an open carry state, the CC permit does not require you to carry concealed, as it being an open carry, you can choose to open carry.

Carrying with a OWB holster with a covering garment, a jacket or sweater, that may blow open with the wind or shift as you lift for something and the firearm may be visible, but because it is covered at any point, you must have a permit or you are concealing without a permit.

I do not think that is a major factor if you OWB open carry and have a winter coat on, it is concealed while your coat is on.,… but have not heard of anyone being prosecuted.

3 Likes

On my way home I had to stop for gas and as always I went inside to pay. I was coming home from work and was carrying IWB with a bandana for my face mask (mask required to wear or you can not enter the store).

As I was at the counter checking out two different people came up to me and thanked me for carrying and both also said the wish more people did. Now I normally CC but just happened to not put my jacket on (it got warmer today then I expected) so it was visible.

The clerk at the counter said I looked like Billy the Kid about to rob a bank. I told her not today and the only reason I have a mask on is because you would not let me in the store without it. She smiled and said good point and wished me a wonderful rest of my day.

Just thought this experience was worth sharing.

Don

6 Likes

I hate that you can’t see people smile with their face diaper on.

4 Likes

You nailed it I am a old man that walks with a cane I have trained with my cane but can pull my weapon faster than most I have trained often I still do if most people see I carry my weapon I pray they do not try to assault me

2 Likes

As usual, it depends on the situation.

I almost always concealed carry when in public because the attacker already has the advantage of picking when and where they attack. I’d like to at least have the surprise of having a firearm when they don’t expect it so that it helps balance the scale.

I do open carry at work. I work at a pheasant hunting club/hatchery. There are guns all around all day, the only thing ever mentioned about my pistol is asking which one it is, possibly leading to a conversation of comparison to different firearms. I highly doubt anyone will have issues with my handgun when they are carrying shotguns.

I live two minutes from where I work so it is way out of my way to get gas/groceries etc, so I won’t have the “stopping somewhere on the way home” scenario unless I specifically choose to go somewhere. Even then. I wear baggy enough shirts if I want to untuck and conceal I can, I don’t always.

I’ve not open carried in public outside of my work this year because I do not wear a mask, I’ve got my reasons for that and I do not trespass if a business asks me to leave. Being without a mask is enough of a “shock” I don’t want to stand out more by open carrying, even though that would likely be less noticed than being without a mask in my area these days.

3 Likes

Unless I am on my own property (other’s private property), I not a fan of open carry in public.

2 Likes

I will usually carry concealed but there are a few times when I am running in to the UPS store to get mail when it is warm that I do not throw a jacket on and at times when I walk my dog.

6 Likes

1 Like

National Guard in Washington DC now.

It’s actually quite common for commanders to not permit our troops to carry in Condition 3 on duty…especially on guard duty during a crisis…which seems really, really stupid if you stop to think about it. But this is how little our commanders trust their troops and how risk averse they actually are. Most would rather suffer casualties among their own troops than to risk a negligent discharge. Commanders like this are highly likely to fail in combat, by the way. And troops should never be abused like this.

In my personal experience, when I served in the National Guard, the Kent State incident was still fresh in the minds of the NG. We would deploy for training with real weapons and zero ammunition to places without controlled perimeters (often on leased farmland, public roadway easements, etc.). Several incidents occurred where armed civilians held up and stole all of the M-16 rifles of a NG unit, because no one was actually armed (no ammo). So the NG (in TX) authorized senior NCOs and commissioned officers to carry a sidearm with ammo. Some COs further authorized sworn TX Peace Officers who were members of their units to carry hand guns during FTXs. That stopped the robberies. In any event, no one was authorized to carry a loaded firearm above Weapons Readiness Condition 3 (loaded mag, empty chamber, safety on).

1 Like

On May 17, 2021 the governor of South Carolina signed the open carry bill for S.C. The only catch is you will need a Concealed Carry Permit to open carry. It goes into effect Aug. 16, 2021

2 Likes

@FunCycle but at less you all do not have to pay for the permit.

I have paid for years. I am waiting on the renewal permit right now, yep $50

1 Like

I do both open and conceal carry. In Wisconsin you don’t need a permit to open carry. I would say that about 80-90% of the time I carry, I carry concealed. Generally the only time I open carry is usually state parks when I am hiking or at home. The exception I have to open carrying while hiking is if I am with a my family. Most of my family is opposed to guns and the 2 amendment. I have a few siblings who love guns and always ask me things and they do their research and and are pro gun. For those in my family that don’t like guns and are against the 2 amendment, they respect that I have guns, and when I go visit them, they ask I leave my firearms in the car. But if we are in public they don’t care if I carry. I usually will give them a heads up if we do go in public as curteousy. But other then that I have no issue with open or cancel. Just have good situational awareness.

2 Likes

I am not totally against open carry though I carry concealed over 90% of the times mainly because I grow up in Chicago and know that when one open carry and is not in law enforcement, they make themselves a target. But if/when I do open carry I have a concealed or 2 at the time.

You can open carry in my state. If someone sees the gun and calls the police you can be arrested for disturbing the peace breach of peace or any similar charge. There’s a chance it will be thrown out of court but you’re still gonna have to go to court, if you make it to court. If everything doesn’t go ok when the swot team shows up you won’t have to be concerned about court. Back in the day my friends & I all open carried During deer season. We didn’t carry for self-defense, we carried because it was fun to do. You could go into town for supplies, or go out to eat for breakfast or do anything in town without any problems because everybody carried during deer season. :paraguay: :paraguay: :paraguay:

1 Like

What communist state do you live in where your police don’t even know the laws they are sworn to uphold???

I open carry quite a bit. I have NEVER had an issue and have had plenty of opportunity to inform the public, discuss weapons and even help someone with a question or two.

Don’t criticize someone for how they enjoy their 2nd Amendment rights.

2 Likes

@Raymond [quote=“Raymond, post:239, topic:218, full:true”]
What communist state do you live in where your police don’t even know the laws they are sworn to uphold???

I open carry quite a bit. I have NEVER had an issue and have had plenty of opportunity to inform the public, discuss weapons and even help someone with a question or two.

Don’t criticize someone for how they enjoy their 2nd Amendment rights.
[/quote]

Boy oh boy you got it wrong. Yes I do live in one of the most anti 2A States. I’m envious that you can open carry with out worry. unless you live in a totally crime free environment open carry can present a deadly disadvantage. If someone is going to Commit a violent crime you will be taken out first. As I said before open carry gives away a life saving advantage called surprise.
Hope that explained things.
If I open carry in my state I can expect to be arrested for disturbing the peace and possibly shot when somebody calls the police and says somebody has a gun happens all the time.
PS: not uncommon for me to hear gunshots at night. I can’t afford to move.
I’m with you not against you. If you open carry in my state plan on seeing a swot team Ricky tick.
PSS: no criticism intended just cautionary advice.
Did you ever take a Missouri boat ride :question:

1 Like

@Dawn >> uote=“Dawn, post:16, topic:218, full:true”]
Interesting that you assume everyone carries, @TWeinzerl!

@Dawn Who else here assumes everyone else is carrying when you go somewhere in public?
[/quote]
I worked in a gun shop way before everything with 2A went sideways and I even then was Surprised with how many people were concealed carrying. Now concealed carry is the only way to go in the anti-2A state I live in.
PS: some other sayings are “ the cats ass” dead balls” bats rats ass”
If the sayings are too strong “ beam me up”

If you don’t fall your not riding hard enough. Let the flags fall where they may.
:us::us::us:

1 Like