Concealed Vs. Open Carry

Sorry @Zee, I saw this earlier but have been crazy busy until about now!

3 Likes

Thanks, Mike.

1 Like

It’s going to vary from state to state.

1 Like

Here in Wisconsin, I have not seen any case charged for imprinting while conceal carrying. Then again, we also have open carry.

6 Likes

Friends,

Drawing from open carry is the main argument in regards to this topic. However, due to the fact of the years of having to by law open carry, and then never going to get the concealed permit after the age of twenty-one (21) which now has been almost seven years later. Likewise, all my training is built upon open carry, but after receiving horrible looks the past few months and all the media scrutiny, not to mention the stores that would preferably be better to shop at here in Louisiana, I’ve paid and got my class reserved for me this weekend. After paying the money the conclusion quickly came as to why I waited.

4 Likes

@Randall318 If i’m not pressed for time, sometimes I’ll engage the dirty looks with conversation and try to advance the cause.

I’ve added some of these to my wallet:

At any rate, now you’ll have additional options, and having options is good.

3 Likes

@Zee

I will have to put some of those on me. I already carry cards for people who don’t want me in their business.

I had a manager at Regent bank (One of the few I’ll bank with) come up Friday and say, "Your thirteenth (13th) amendment is cool and all, but you got to go!
I quickly responded, “Ma’am, that is the Emancipation Proclamation…you must have meant the Second Amendment? However, I’ll get my money and go.”

She made the teller stop the transaction and tell to leave right then. (She was counting the money out by the way) So, I handed her a card as I do anbody it says,

NO self-defense
NO business
Redefine your company policy!
WE THE PEOPLE have the right to protect ourselves while on your premises.
*Call if you would like my family and friend’s business back.
Randall W. Anderson (Cell#)
Signature

2 Likes

that’s AWESOME that you knew that. and :woman_facepalming: … 13th?
did you get your cash?

2 Likes

I have several banks (thank God) and I was cashing a Regent check, so after she stopped the transaction and therefore had to resubmit the check as if it was not cashed to give it back to me. (Would have been way faster to count the cash out) I also called and closed the account moving it across the street at Capital One. The only issue was it had to clear at Capitol One versus cashing it.

I’m majoring in government and praying/while bitting my figures to get excepted into the law school that I’m eyeballing at first attempt. So, anyone in pre-law should know their Amendments to an extent is my belief. Thirteen is easy because all you have to do is remember Abraham Lincoln.

The sad thing is she was of African American descent and was not aware of that Amendment. (No race or prejudice intended, like us… we should know the Second because we practice it, they should know that one because it secured the blessings of liberty to them as well.)

1 Like

As with most things, it depends on personal preference.
I carry concealed most times, but have carried open. If at the house, around the property, and need to run to the store, I will go to the store, open carry, or if it is reasonable, with a shirt as a covering layer.
If I plan on going to town, meeting with people, or spending more time out in public, it is usually concealed.

Depends on the situation and what you are comfortable with.

3 Likes

Open carry, for me personally, is not something that I see any up side to, at all! It draws attention to you, everyone knows you have a pistol & that is never a good idea knowing that there are individuals that want to take it from you & will try! It opens the door for anti gun nuts to approach you & want to debate about why you are carrying a gun blah blah blah.
So, to avoid all of the above & knowing of no tactical advantage, I do NOT open carry

2 Likes

Personally I open carry at home, in the woods, at church and if I am taking the kids for a walk.

But if I am going to be in non-permissive areas like Walmart then I carry concealed. I live in Michigan which is an open carry state.

My issue with open carry advocates is sometimes they seem to be openly carrying a gun for the purpose of inspiring fear.

The protestors in Lansing Michigan open carrying rifles as an example. Another example is the man who walked into a Michigan police department open carrying a rifles and wearing a ski mask.

I believe open carry is ok unless your intent is to draw attention and intimate by exposing your gun. In my eyes open carrying for the purpose of intimidation is wrong.

The point has been made Open Carry can act as a deterrent.

• Police Officers,
  • Armed Security Guards
    *, Brinks Drivers
  • Marines guarding embassies.

All these open carry.

I will say if your open carrying in a public area like Walmart as an example then active retention on your holster is a good idea.

I do believe each individual person has the right to decide whether to open carry or concealed carry.

Individual liberty.

5 Likes

I too am not a fan of open carry

3 Likes

This is what I would like for some to realize…

Yes, endorsing open carry is dangerous.
BUT think of people in Louisiana with various other states that legally permit open and an individual is practicing within their right.

What if a particular group of persons does not have sufficient funds to buy a permit? Some of us value our permit but what if…

What if you were not as blessed as you are…

3 Likes

Open carried in the grocery store the other day. The only person who even noticed was a retired deputy (someone i know, not well, but am familiar with). He asked about my holster since he’s been wanting to carry but IWB was getting too painful. He retired due to multiple back injuries. I gave him the website for aliengear and we went our separate ways.

Seriously, about 50 people inside (smaller grocery store) and only the retired cop noticed. Everyone else was 100% condition white and completely oblivious.

4 Likes

I have given my opinion regarding this topic on several similar threads. My opinion has been represented by a selfie I took after getting home from running errands and grocery shopping one day…

If you don’t like open carry… then don’t. The pros and cons can be debated until the end of time. Bottom line… it is a personal choice.

11 Likes

I open carried today for the first time - it took some overcoming - I am in the northeast - the reaction I got all day was uncomfortable -

3 Likes

Hey @DavidM58… the reaction from others made you uncomfortable, or just the way you personally felt?
And yes, it’s probably more socially acceptable here in Texas than where you are.

2 Likes

I think it was a combination of both but I think all centralized on the expected reaction

2 Likes

Hello everyone, i am new here and have found the topic at hand to be very interesting, if I may add my two cents to the subject. I believe it mostly depends on a few things. First, where are you open carrying at ( city ) . Secondly, what is the reason for open carrying. And third being, will open carrying at the time put you in danger. Military and LEO’s open carry mainly because it is part of the job ( but some do carryback up weapons concealed ). But one must remember, open carry always make you a target to criminals on site. I do enjoy our 2A right but i hate useless acts of violence. With the proper training and practice one is able to protect self and others just as quickly as one which open carry, plus have the element of surprise on their side. In short, what i desire to point out is always be aware of the situation, consequences and reason for actions.

1 Like