9/11 - Never Forget

I took this photo when I was visiting New York three years ago. You could still feel the pain surrounding the World Trade Center in 2016, 15 years after the tragic day.

Never forget.

Share your memories of where you were that fateful day.

If you’ve already shared your memories on another thread, I’ll be combining the two threads today.

5 Likes

I was sleeping after working a double shift. My girlfriend at the time woke me up. It was hard to watch on the news that day, 2 years prior i was in those buildings as a part of my senior class trip in high school. As i watched the towers burn I couldn’t help but remember walking around in there, faces i had forgotten came back. I have to wonder how many of those people were in those buildings on that day…

2 Likes

I was sitting in my Contracts class at University of Louisville School of Law when the news of the first plane hitting the tower came out. After that, every television in every classroom came on. I was watching as the second tower was hit. At that moment I knew that we had just been attacked; that terrorism had struck the United States in a big way. I texted my Sgt. at the SO and advised I was available if needed. A few hours later, after all air traffic was grounded, I noticed how quiet it was. UofL is on the flight path of the majority of planes landing at SDF. There were no planes at all in the sky. The silence was deafening!

2 Likes

I remember it vividly. I was sound asleep in Honolulu, HI at 3AM and the house phone rang. The wife answered it and started slugging me to turn on the TV. Of course there was the news showing the first tower on fire. I thought “Man, that sucks.” Seconds after I had that thought that the 2nd plane went in. I was out of bed and moving thinking “Oh &^#@ that was on purpose.” Somewhere between trying to pull on a uniform and get the duty officer or commanding officer on the phone I made it down stairs not doing either one very well. I walked out to the front of the House looked down the street and I could see the planes landing at Honolulu Intl. I went back inside and started stuffing uniforms in a bag, my wife who’s a pretty smart cookie didn’t say much until I was done. Then she asked “What should we do?”, I told her pack a lunch plus some clothes and anything else she thought was a good idea and go to the North Shore, there were 5 or 6 submarines with nuclear reactors 1 mile from the house. We said our good bye’s and I headed to the base.

I hit the Makalapa gate and the guard saw my sticker and waived me through. I stopped and asked if he had been informed as to what was going on? “About what?” I told him in my not so pleasant Chief voice that he had better button up and buckle up and start checking ID’s for real and to inform the watch officer. (I heard after the fact that he got a medal for being “proactive in an uncertain situation” :sunglasses: )

It worked out in Pearl Harbor as nothing happened but it was a right intense time. Things got interesting from there in short order on the operational side of the house.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Yep, working in Richmond, VA down the road from DC. I remember when someone came and reported a Cesna prop plane had run into the 1st tower, I went to the breakroom and saw the damage and said BS, it had to be much bigger than a prop plane. We kept watching the events unfold an we ended up just sending every one home by noon that day. No tears…just shock and anger and a strong desire to retaliate and send a message back to whomever did this to us.

4 Likes

I had Started a new job that day and my boss called me in because he new I was a Veteran because he was one as well. We watched what was happening on tv and we discussed who we thought was behind it. I was thinking to myself that I fell so ashamed of myself because I was not in uniform with my brothers and sisters even though I knew I could not be there. These people that did this had no Idea what they were doing. I think back to when Japan attacked the Pearl Harbor if I am not mistaken Admiral Yamamoto stated that we have just awoken a sleeping giant and this will not end well for us. I guess hind sight is not always 20/20 because they did not learn from history. For all the first responders that answered the call that day it makes me proud to of the service they gave to strangers, people they did not even know but willing to do everything in their power to save even if it cost them their lives. I am proud of them and what they thought was important. To protect the innocent and those that cannot help themselves or those that needed help. That is why I stand ready to protect my family and myself but also those that need protection as well.

Mark Gregory

3 Likes

I had just gone to bed(midnight shift) and my wife woke me up. I sat down just in time to see the second plane hit. I watched in awe, horror, and disgust as the towers fell. In the following weeks, I was contacted by the US Marshall’s. I had loaned the Die Hard movies to a couple across the hall. She was a natural born American. He was a citizen who had immigrated here from Gaza. The USM has questioned him, and gone through their apartment. The movies had my name on them. I told the USM on the phone how utterly appalled I was, that an American citizen was treated that way just because of where he was born. It was reminiscent of learning how Americans of Japanese descent were treated after Pearl.

4 Likes

Absolutely. I came out of X-ray at the hospital. I saw a rerun of the first plane, then live the second. I immediately knew, and called my command as I was the Battalion Operations Officer. In 2 hours I submitted a general plan to support New York in the aftermath. I was part time National Guard, but spent the next 13 years on duty full time, before retiring. I also went to Bosnia, and Afganistan twice. As a grandfather. I could have retired without going anywhere, but that day showed me I was put on this earth for what I have done. Just as thousands of others have stepped up as well. God Bless the UYSA and those that defend her everyday.

3 Likes

I recall 9/11/2001 vividly. I had just wrapped up my weekly Tuesday morning staff meeting with senior leaders at the hospital when my Director of Radiology stopped me in the hall on the way back to my office to tell me a plane had just flown into the World Trade Center in NYC. Thinking it must have been an accident involving a small plane, I turned on the TV in time to learn it was a commercial airliner. I could not believe how a large plane could accidentally fly into those towers in a cloudless sky. Shortly thereafter I saw another plane deliberately fly into the second tower. At that point it became obvious that our country was under attack. I felt sick in the pit of my stomach and totally useless. I had spent 30 years in the military defending this great country during war time and peace and now there was nothing I could do but watch in horror and say a prayer for the victims and their families. That was the day I started flying an American flag at my house everyday without fail and it still flies today. I will never forget 9/11.

3 Likes

I recall CONCISELY!
I was visiting my friend from New York. Ron hollered at me to “TURN ON THE TV.”

I followed his request, and saw a building falling, EXACTLY LIKE I had seen happen in Las Vegas when “controlled demolition” was used to take structures down. Richard Gage, an architect from S.F., soon appeared in Las Vegas. I attended his presentation.

Then I REALLY BEGAN TO INVESTIGATE!!!

As “AN AMERICAN” that believes in the 1ST Amendment, I encourage ALL to START their own investigation AT:

LIVE FREE, OR DIE,
Steven
email removed to protect your private information. ~Dawn

2 Likes

I am a Medic in Philadelphia-I would normally have been working that day (Tuesday) , but a coworker needed off the previous Saturday so I switched with him. I got up early (as usual ). I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth when I heard the news anchor say something about a plane hitting the World Trade Center and thought “couldn’t the pilot see the thing?” As I exited the bathroom I saw the 2nd plane hit. At that moment my phone rang-it was my dispatcher crying asking me if I saw what just happened. I told her that I was putting on my uniform and would be right in. When I left my house to get into my car I couldn’t believe how brilliant blue the sky was and thought how could something so horrible happen on such a beautiful day.

4 Likes

I have a distant relative who narrowly escaped the attack due to being to work. But more importantly, a fellow traveler in life, a graduate of Electrical Technology at Alfred State College in NY like myself, later became a Battalion Chief in Manhattan I believe, His name is Richard Prunty and he died trying to save others on the day of the attack. This put a real face on our hero’s of all kinds coast to coast, no matter what is said or lied about, those who do a little good or a lot of good will triumph over all this BS we read about every day.

3 Likes

Eighteen years ago, my wife screamed, “Get out of the shower and come downstairs now!” I threw on a robe and sprinted downstairs thinking something happened to her, or one of our kids. She was standing in front of the tv with a blank look on her face and I immediately knew why. One tower was engulfed in flames and, a few minutes later, a plane flew into the second. We watched in complete disbelief, and in horror, as both towers came crashing down, disintegrating to rubble, dust and ash. One year later, just before the first anniversary of 9/11, my wife and I visited ground zero. A hole in the ground. Buildings nearby with walls ripped off. We peered into empty offices with dust and toppled furniture. Surreal. We also visited a nearby fire station with photos of fallen brothers on a bulletin board. We went inside to tell those brave men and women, who were noticeably still shaken, that we were so sorry for their loss. I purchased FDNY t-shirts for my son and I and we wore them out. Always with respect for the fallen. We will NEVER forget what happened on 9/11. We will NEVER forget the sacrifice of courageous first responders, and so many others. But… we will ALWAYS remember we are Americans and, as long as we do, terrorists will NEVER win. We bend but we will not break, if we stand shoulder to shoulder.

4 Likes

Tim, I agree, it was a dastardly attack on our nation, done by cowards. But I must disagree with you, It did forever change our nation. We lost untold freedom and constitutional rights when, in fear, our government reacted with a giant knee jerk reaction and passed the patriot act. One of our biggest loses was freedom of movement. I’m convinced that many, of the mass shooting we are experiencing are a result of the fear instilled in people. It is a well known fact that terrorist do not thrive on major acts of terrorism, but small isolated events that are spur of the moment and surprise instilling more fear. And our government’s response is to let leftist, muslims and other malcontents into our country and allow leftist local governments provide sanctuary to these terrorist and criminals. We did not become the great nation we are by backing down from those who enslave and kill us. It is time, we reclaim the dominance and freedom we inherited from the founders. It is time we ran toward the danger and reclaim our God given rights and freedom.

3 Likes

I remember when we landed on the moon. It was an exciting day! In contrast, I remember Sept 11, 2001, not with excitement but with horror, dread and frustration. After 31 years in the Navy, I was frustrated at being so helpless as I watched the 2nd plane hit the tower and then watching the towers collapse. However, I was inspired by the President’s speech on the pile of rubble, and by the tireless efforts of rescue and recovery teams, and most especially by the courage displayed on Flight 93 when brave Americans thwarted the bewildered terrorists and crashed the would-be weapon for more terror. Today, I work with first responders who prove everyday the American spirit and willingness to run toward danger continues to live within us!

Thank you, Tim! Excellent and definitely thought provoking.

3 Likes

You nailed their mission, but I disagree the terrorists failed. The events proved a missed opportunity for us to become a better country, to walk it like we talk it in a more united way, to build stronger alliances, to do more good things. And yet here we are two decades later increasingly fearful, hateful, poorer, and ruled by carpetbaggers. We have no high road, moral or otherwise, anymore. Rage is all the rage these days, and the foundations of the republic are crumbling with rising sea levels.

I very much remember where I was that morning and what I feared. Terrorists didn’t frighten me. I had lived and worked in places where attacks were common. My fear was the country would divide itself, we would willingly give away freedoms in the face of a political agenda determined to use the attacks to consolidate and strengthen power. Mission accomplished.

4 Likes

Home with a migraine, not at work where I might otherwise have seen some of this ‘real time’ with the people I worked with.

Welcome to all the new folks who have joined us first on this important thread. Glad you’re here.

2 Likes

I was Home here in SE Wisconsin. My wife had gotten the kids off to school and I started to go back to sleep as I had nothing to do til a bit later in in the afternoon. Being an Amateur radio operator & Weather Spotter, I have Scanners and radios for almost every Frequency from 33KHz all the way up to 1.3 GHz. The Rescue tones for Walworth County went off for almost Ten Minutes. I first thought it was a test. The Dispatcher made an announcement that lasted even longer and suddenly New York which is almost 2000 miles away felt like it was Right out side. Shortly after that My neighbor came in and had my wife turn the TV on and they called me down. I wasn’t sure what I was looking at. " What the hell is that ?" I asked as All I saw was an unidentifiable pile of hauntingly burning rubble. I Felt I knew what it was but wasn’t sure. my neighbor replied " Thats the World trade Center." I had so many emotions at the same time I didn’t want to believe it. All Day I listen to the School frequencies,School busses, Local, County and State Frequencies. By the My kids came home from school I had taste tested every thing they would eat that night including the kool-Aid. I thought we would be ok and Started serving supper. Thats when it all finally hit me. I served up Supper. However I was Poring Milk and Kool aid for my kids when I got to my five year old Kindergarten Daughter who just started Crying like never before as I poured her Glass of Kool aid. " What’s wrong?" I asked thinking her brother had pinched her or something. As young as she was she knew the Gravity of the days events and understood what it meant. She Caught her breath and got out the words, " What if they poisoned the water?" I Couldn’t breath and had to turn around so she couldn’t see me just flood with tears. I had no answer . All I could do was reassure her that I drank two full glasses of the water I used so if it was bad , I would have been gone already. To have to tell that to my Five year old daughter was infuriating. Not something that One old say to some one who loves you right? Yet It had to be said. For the weeks after I had to put fans and other things in the bedrooms so we could, or they could sleep. The A-wacks plain Circled endlessly between Milwaukee and Chicago non stop and it was the only thing in the skys. When It was not near the Silence of No planes was deafening. Growing up near Mitchel International airport , I had never known what it was like not to see or hear a plane some wear. As peaceful as it was , it was just Haunting! I Just like Tim Said, Did not give in to my fears. I Educated myself in Emergency radio, Morse code, I already knew how to hunt so I made sure all my weapons were clean and safe. The moment Scott Walker Passed a Conceal carry law for My state I was ready and responded accordingly. I carry just about everywhere . I back the Badge With all my senses, and they respond Respectfully. They Know I carry and Thank me. Although that is Humbling I make sure they know it is them that are to be thanked! In the small Village I live in there is often only One officer on duty so I am ever present to Witness their actions in the event they need help, A Witness or just for moral support. I don’t ever want to have to “Use” my weapon. Although I know still to this day, we are at war with the terrorists and Dope dealers , so, I am painfully aware “It” could happen any day at any time. At the risk of sounding delusional, WE are The Modern day Minutemen & Women. So Quoting the wise Meteorologist Vince Condella~ Be prepared. Not Scared!" Dwight Straehl.

4 Likes

I was in bed asleep because I worked nights then. I kept hearing the phone ring and was think why is someone bothering me. I got up started to play the first message. Turned on the TV because that is what they were telling me to do. It was seconds after turning it on when I saw a replay of the towers falling. Upon seeing that I dropped to my knees in horror. I was pretty numb after that.

3 Likes

I was in law school in Contracts class when the news broke. It looked like a terrible accident until the second plane hit.
I contacted my Sgt. at the SO and let him know to contact me if I needed to come in.
After that, I watched the news most of the day.
The wielding thing was how quiet it became. UofL Law School is on the approach path for the airport. Within an hour or so the skies in Louisville were empty. The silence was deafening.

3 Likes