Good People Running Toward Danger

In today’s Concealed Carry Report, Tim talks about that fateful day 18 years ago:

10x10
Tim Schmidt118x134
BY TIM SCHMIDT - USCCA FOUNDER

It’s hard to believe it’s been almost 18 years since that fateful September day when life changed, quite literally, for an entire nation.

18 years … wow.

With the upcoming anniversary of 9/11 — a day that shook our country to the core almost two decades ago — I have a simple thought I’d like to share with you:

It is how we respond to an event — not the event itself — that defines us.

Stay with me for a second…

On that tragic September morning, a group of cowardly terrorists had a very singular mission: steal a handful of planes and fly those planes into populous national landmarks in order to kill as many people as possible.

But the terrorists’ mission was actually much more complex than that. Their goal was to instill fear in the hearts of all Americans. To shake our sense of safety and security. To trample the spirit of our great nation.

And on that day, and in the days and weeks that followed, it felt a lot like those 19 terrorists had succeeded. After all, we lost almost 3,000 innocent lives that day. We lost men and women, mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, firefighters and police officers, and friends.

Our nation was indeed forever changed.

But the truth is, those terrorists failed.

They failed because they could not control how we responded to their actions.

See, even in the midst of chaos, there were men and women who had the courage to act in the face of danger. Men and women who chose to run toward danger rather than away from it.

I’m thinking of Todd Beamer on Flight 93, who epitomized the sheepdog mentality with his famous last words as he and a few brave others launched a counter-attack against the terrorists: “Let’s roll!”

I’m thinking of the 72 law enforcement officers who answered the call to serve and protect and who gave their lives on that last shift.

I’m thinking of the 343 firefighters who trudged up burning flights of stairs and who, quite literally, walked through fire to save people trapped inside two doomed buildings.

I’m thinking of the 43 EMTs and paramedics who worked tirelessly to tend to those in need without thinking for even a second about themselves or their own fates.

I’m thinking of the bakery shop owners. The 911 operators. The office managers and security guards. Men and women who, in the midst of danger, made the brave decision to act.

And I’m thinking of YOU, the responsibly armed American, who serves as absolute proof that there are people who refuse to let the spirit of this great nation die.

In the days after 9/11, our country experienced more unity — more togetherness — than perhaps any other time in history. Yes, it was a time of great tragedy. But it was also a time of great hope. Now, each year that passes reminds us that we are strong and hopeful and blessed.

We will never forget those we lost 18 years ago.

Never.

But the narrative has changed. Today, we look to the brave men and women who run toward danger instead of away from it … and it becomes clear that we will always survive, so long as we have good people willing to fight back.

Take Care and Stay Safe,
153x45

Tim Schmidt
Publisher - Concealed Carry Report
USCCA Founder

Do you remember where you were on 9/11? Share your thoughts and memories on the 9/11 - Never Forget topic.

6 Likes

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: 9/11 - Never Forget

As a Veteran I remember vividly. I was getting ready for work when my wife screamed for me to come downstairs quickly. It was right after the first plane hit, I watched as the second building was hit. My wife asked me to stay home to which I replied I’m needed at work this will not put us at a stand still. I worked at the end of a major airport at the time.

3 Likes